Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher

That says it all Weim. I am sure Will Smith's wife would agree ! I don't think a lot of people realise how painful the death is following a snake bite, apart from the horror of the death itself. I am so sorry about your poor dog
Thats rather condescending dont you think... I take it you have gone through this experience.

People suffer from the loss of their pets every day, through all manner of accidents /illness.. do you think that dont see the pain and suffering their dogs go through..

Whether you loss your beloved pet though a snake bite or any one of a hundred reasons, people will feel the pain of their loss equally as badly
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by weim1 View Post
my dog died in his own backyard in the middle of the city,you can never tell where wild animals will be and who can afford to move to another country,and is there a country with no bees snakes or other dangers to your pets,
of course we could all just not have any pets and send em all to england where apparently they can stay safe on a lead
If there was a risk of Dog Killing snakes in my back yard, i would not let my dog out there un supervised, just as i would let my dogs go out & play on a road!!!!!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Losing a dog in any circumstances, should surely make you want MORE lovely positive happy times, not living with electric shocks,stringing up,kicking, sticking on prong collars, & pining, Losing a dog should make us all appreciate them more & make their life as AMAZING as possible, just how they do for us.

Id rather a minute of Joy than a hour of pain
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Hi,

I don't think Gnasher meant anythig patronising TBH. I, for one, have kept non-venomous snakes and have been bitten by a 4 ft python. painful at the time, yes - life threatening, no.

I have only read about the horrible death that is suffered from rattler bites (whther the victim is human or animal), have no personal experience of such a situation and can only imagine how nasty the death would be.

Yes I along with everyoe else am aware of how painful it is to lose a dog. The circumstances, for me, go out the window when I lose a pet. The point is, they've gone. But I think I'd feel much worse and definitely guilty if they suffered a death as painful as one of these bites is supposed to be.

Laura xx
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Adders are a real danger to dogs in the uk, so we do have to keep a look out for them!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Hi,

I don't think Gnasher meant anythig patronising TBH. I, for one, have kept non-venomous snakes and have been bitten by a 4 ft python. painful at the time, yes - life threatening, no.

I have only read about the horrible death that is suffered from rattler bites (whther the victim is human or animal), have no personal experience of such a situation and can only imagine how nasty the death would be.

Yes I along with everyoe else am aware of how painful it is to lose a dog. The circumstances, for me, go out the window when I lose a pet. The point is, they've gone. But I think I'd feel much worse and definitely guilty if they suffered a death as painful as one of these bites is supposed to be.

Laura xx

Again - this is not about how painful it is to be bitten...it is that some people seem to feel that using an e-collar is the only way to stop a dog from getting bitten.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi,

OK sorry - I misunderstood the post then.

E-collars are something I don't agree with. As stated, adders are a threat to dogs here depending on where you take them. But I think there are better ways of training a dog not to show interest in adders, or anything else for that matter.

Personally I use positive methods to train my dogs that don't cause pain or discomfort of any kind. Admittedly they may take longer to get the point across, but not that much longer.

Laura xx
weim1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
If there was a risk of Dog Killing snakes in my back yard, i would not let my dog out there un supervised, just as i would let my dogs go out & play on a road!!!!!
he wasnt unsupervised and the snakes killed him,like I said you never know where wild animals will wander
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
He was stupid walking them there then. People can move, if they care about there dogs enough. Id prefer to move than treat my dog like a micro wave .
The snake was in their kennel slept under the doghouse and when the dogs were put in their kennel for the night they disturbed the snake.

The comment about the microwave shows that you haven't a clue how an e-collar works and how to use it.

Someone mentioned static electricity as a reference but it is more like when you put the 2 lips of a flat battery against your tongue
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Well I can tell you pretty much 100% that a shock coller would not work with my high prey drive girl
She squeezed through 2 electric fences - getting shocked each time to get to a field of sheep
Afterwards she knew the fence would hurt her and would not come back till I found a gate for her - but the shock was not enough to stop her
so to 'train' her to overcome her prey drive the shock would have to be pretty nasty - I have been shocked by an electric fence and it is lots worse than a battery
Page 18 of 45 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »