register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 18 of 29 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The clue is in the name, "race"
it would still be a race, they would be racing agaisn't the others in their group in the field at the time, and they would be racing against the other groups at the same time, so I don't really see that point.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 10:00 AM
You would need 40 time keepers, keeping up on 40 horses round the course in question.

WHIPPING, I agree with you.
They really are not "whipped" as in the actual sense of it, if they were they would be marked, which is extremely rare. The horse in question was examined by a vet (as all were) after the race, no marks of any description were evident, and futhermore no evidence of any abuse to any Horse was found. The stewards still felt he used his whip excessively and banned him, I absolutely agree with that, he broke the rules, he pays the price.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
They really are not "whipped" as in the actual sense of it, if they were they would be marked, which is extremely rare. The horse in question was examined by a vet (as all were) after the race, no marks of any description were evident, and futhermore no evidence of any abuse to any Horse was found. The stewards still felt he used his whip excessively and banned him, I absolutely agree with that, he broke the rules, he pays the price.
I know that,, but there are occasion where some do get carried away.

I also agree , he broke the rules so pays the price.

Seeing a jockey waving his whip around does not mean he is hitting the horse, as you say, evidence is left if he is.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I would limit the number of horses. If an animal isnt impeded the majority get round clear or get pulled up if they arent making the distance.

I didnt realise the winning jockey was subsequently banned. For that I would have his 1st place.

I saw the replay (forgot it was on) and did think when i saw him riding it home that questions would be asked.

Also thought it was disrespectful for the replay to be shown complete with the tarpaulin/curtained off bodies.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Not really whipped-----LOL.

rune
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:03 AM
The point I was making is as far as the animal is concerned, it matters not if the owner is rich or poor, has daily contact or not,

As long as it is fed and watered and so on , has regular human contact, the animal is happy.

You suggested one is better cared for than the other, they are not, they are both getting their needs provided for.
Ah, ok. Then yes, I agree. The owner pays the bills but it is the "carer" that has the bond or relationship with the animal & as long as that relationship is beneficial & enjoyable for, & welcomed by, the animal, then it doesn't really matter. Of course very often the carer & owner are one & the same.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Ah, ok. Then yes, I agree. The owner pays the bills but it is the "carer" that has the bond or relationship with the animal & as long as that relationship is beneficial & enjoyable for, & welcomed by, the animal, then it doesn't really matter. Of course very often the carer & owner are one & the same.
Yes they are, but from the animals prospective, it really doesn't matter, what matters is the care from the carer that is given to the animal.

Animals cant distinguish between owner/care, what they see is care and someone familiar that gives it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Sorry..this is going to be controversial...but I am not convinced those sort of dogs are a good idea, purely for the dogs. My concern is the dogs never have downtime, unless they are removed from the person they care for.
The little girl on Crufts who took her dog into school was a perfect example of it for me, don't get me wrong, lovely thing for the dog to do...but when does the dog get to fully relax? It is with the child 24/7...we wouldn't ask a human to work 24/7. No matter how nice a life the dog may have on the surface, I do worry about the level of constant and quiet stress it may be put under.
If you knew Loki could fit at any moment and it was up to you to spot the signs and stop it happening...how stressed would you get, if YOU had to be with him 24/7 watching him so you could alert people if he was going to fit?

I know it's a controverisal view, but assistance dogs like that worry me...and diabetes is rife in my family.

I have no doubt a lot of service dogs enhance lives but there are some who are treated very much like a piece of equipment.
As for rehoming...the assistance dog charities breed the dogs so surely they should monitor the rehomed ones on a regular basis to make sure all is well? Isn't that what a good breeder does????

I wouldn't imagine there are any stats to prove that suicide rates or death rates fall in those with assistance dogs, but I am sure that some assistance dogs may have saved their owners lives, certainly I have heard a few stories, all anecdotal though...
You're not being contraversial, Ramble.

I wasn't giving an opinion on any rights and wrongs when I posted those; just agreeing with that point that there are service dogs that are trained to save people's lives and showing some examples.

For instance:

http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazin...save-your-life
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Sorry..this is going to be controversial...but I am not convinced those sort of dogs are a good idea, purely for the dogs. My concern is the dogs never have downtime, unless they are removed from the person they care for.
The little girl on Crufts who took her dog into school was a perfect example of it for me, don't get me wrong, lovely thing for the dog to do...but when does the dog get to fully relax? It is with the child 24/7...we wouldn't ask a human to work 24/7. No matter how nice a life the dog may have on the surface, I do worry about the level of constant and quiet stress it may be put under.
If you knew Loki could fit at any moment and it was up to you to spot the signs and stop it happening...how stressed would you get, if YOU had to be with him 24/7 watching him so you could alert people if he was going to fit?

I know it's a controverisal view, but assistance dogs like that worry me...and diabetes is rife in my family.

I have no doubt a lot of service dogs enhance lives but there are some who are treated very much like a piece of equipment.
As for rehoming...the assistance dog charities breed the dogs so surely they should monitor the rehomed ones on a regular basis to make sure all is well? Isn't that what a good breeder does????

I wouldn't imagine there are any stats to prove that suicide rates or death rates fall in those with assistance dogs, but I am sure that some assistance dogs may have saved their owners lives, certainly I have heard a few stories, all anecdotal though...
You are closer than you think to desribing how things are with Loki.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
You are closer than you think to desribing how things are with Loki.
I did sort of think that as I typed {hugs}
I almost didn't put it. I didn't want to upset of offend but I couldn't think of another comparison.
Page 18 of 29 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »