View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Exactly and it is human behaviour to shout when you are worried, anxious, uncertain afraid (IME), the trainers were EXTREMELY quiet and methodical.

These people are taken out of their comfort zone and put into a situation with which they have NO experience, I wonder how many of us on this forum put in a similar position outside our individual comfort zones would be paragons of virtue and behaviour?

Not many of us I dare to venture!

After all if those people flown out were great they would hardly have been sent there would they?
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 10:37 AM
SB I agree with you on so much i fear i may get accused of being an **** lick.

I didn't like the pinch collar, and did notice that at the end the woman with the massive mastiff x was wearing one.

However, while the dogs were stressed, and some of the situations, I wouldn't put my dog in, it was amazing to see how well trained they all were and how much trust they put in their novice handlers.

I was absolutely amazed though, that that woman with the mastiff still had her dog, if i was family of the builder who it bit down to the bone i probably would have demanded the dog pts....
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately if the builder was bitten in the dog owners home there was no redress, which is what the new reforms are trying to address.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
To be fair, the trainers did keep saying that - reinforcing the fact that these dogs needed to be controlled but quietly.
Yep - the trainers weren't the ones doing the shouting
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Unfortunately if the builder was bitten in the dog owners home there was no redress, which is what the new reforms are trying to address.
I didn't know that!

Every day is a school day i guess!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 11:42 AM
The trainers were not the ones doing the shouting but the shouting was being reinforced by the dogs only trally responding to the shouting

I totaly fail to see how people think the dogs were responding well to new people handling them? most of the time the dogs were asked to do something fairly simple like to stay the dogs had to be told several times and corrected with a 'firm' 'knock it off'

There was no trust involved in dragging the dogs off the absail by their prong collar and dropping them so their full weight was caught by the harness
It would be possible to train the dogs to trust the handler and to enjoy being lowered
- but all the dogs are trained there is they just have to put up with anything and they looked stressed and shut down

If I was trusting my life to a dog I would want it to be with a dog who had been trained to be confident and happy and trusted me in all situations - and had a rock solid stay whether I whispered or roared

There was no 'lightbulb' moments working with these dogs the lightbulb moments were with the lovely - happy bite trained dogs and the pop psycology bits when they were looking at the videos

even for good tv they could easilly have added that they were sent home with a training program and revisited after 4 weeks - instead of making it look like a seriously dangerous dog was turned around in 4 weeks by being told to 'knock it off' in a firm voice

Last weeks show I enjoyed, this weeks not at all
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 12:09 PM
But the trainers spent the first half of the episode encouraging the newbies to shout. The only time they mentioned whispering was for Water, and thats more likely because it was a stealth exercise. The whole climbing over the boxes episode was basically about shouting commands to make the dogs listen....

Anyway, I can't be bothered to argue.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I didn't hear much shouting and I thought the new people were being taught to use tone of voice rather than shout.

What I would like to see in future programes is more detail.

Instead of so many rehash of them doing the same things badly, more detail on their training and even a bit more of how they turned their dog aroiund when they got home.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Not the prong collar bit.....but I know our Bruce would love it, he will go anyway I go, they have styles in scotland which are ones where you have steps to go up and steps down, he went up and over on first command.

He hates water but if I go in he will allow himself to go deep in if I hold him.

I know people couldn't see putting their pet in that senario but those dogs are trained from 5 weeks old and its all they know, they are a working machine but look at the end they can and do appreciate being a cuddle up to me machine too
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by EmmiS View Post

I didn't like the pinch collar, and did notice that at the end the woman with the massive mastiff x was wearing one.

Not seen it yet (I like to watch on Iplayer, as I can FF when I wish to avoid getting high blood pressure ) as used to happen with another BBC3 series.

Shame about the above - did she think it would stop her dog biting?

Whilst I am sure I will love seeing the dogs, I am not sure I will enjoy the methods, from some of what has been said.

Wys
x
Page 17 of 43 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »