Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i dont hold my dogs head up, i dont show my dogs on a tight lead, like ive said.
Yup I know, and I aprreciate you have said that - therefore my points were not directed at you

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
So tell me you put up to 30 agility dogs in the ring at the same time , all with their handlers all off lead and then run them all , they are not going to react?

Oh no , I forgot you don't do you , they go in one by one then when the dog has finished it's run , the handler rushes to grab said dog , using atoy to get it back to them. you have one serious hang up about show dogs!!
well you have 5 rings running next to each other at the same time, and the next dog in line is at the start before the running dog leaves - so thats 10 dogs offlead with no issues, not to mention the fact that there will be offlead dogs exercising close to the rings - and in some shows I have been in there have been other rings with horses running
I dont have one serious hang up with show dogs, I have one serious hang up that every time I ask a genuine question there is closed ranks saying how stupid it is. It is just typical that you see it is 'stupid' to consider letting the dogs run one at a time offlead round the ring - whereas it is totaly normal and not strange at all to hold a dogs head upright therefore artificially changing thier gate - when the judge is supposed to be looking at their movment at this point

Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Ring craft is about teaching the dog how to walk at the right pace, how to stand without fidgetting and allow the judge to go over the dog look in the mouth etc.
It's also invaluable for people new to showing as it explains how and why we stack the dogs and how to run them etc.
You keep saying its a dogs job to walk off lead but it's not a show dogs job. By definition a sheep dogs job is to herd sheep so do they need to do that in the ring.
Not sure what your problem is ......oh yes I do it's showing again so lets all slag off the poor ill treated dogs.

Heres' a picture of two of mine, such a shocking life they lead
I dont remember anyone saying anything about the shocking life they lead, thats just you being touchy
So the dogs are taught to walk at the right pace but it is up to the handler to hold their heads up for them?

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Nope - actually - when they used to run the Barbour pairs they would have 2 dogs working next to each other, and circular knock outs have 2 dogs on the same course....
Its not all done one by one.

ETA - forgot the Barbour bomber....4 dogs working next to each other.
lol yup I have seen some of the pairs games, we dont have enough of that up here

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

No, they're trained to run frantacally round a ring !
Oh are they now?? lol that is just pathetic, but if thats what you want, mine frantically out of control bomb round a ring and yours soulessly prance around a ring, about fair?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
thats unfair JB agility is alot more than that!
Yes I know, I was being sarcastic to the comments, regarding show dogs not being "off lead" in the ring.

It kind of gets you like that , when some simply cant help themselves in criticism towards showing .

I know there is far more to agility than dogs running round a ring, but its the constant knocking that gets you
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Its all about training, I guess I look at it from that perspective.

Hyped behaviour is no good without the self control.
It's all about safety first and foremost for me so I guess we definitely do view things differently!

whilst i do understand the lead thing...

agility is not flyball.. dogs are not hyped up..dogs knock jumps and take wrong courses if they are
You and me must be watching different versions of Crufts then!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It's all about safety first and foremost for me so I guess we definitely do view things differently!

Yep - that's where training comes in
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup I know, and I aprreciate you have said that - therefore my points were not directed at you

well you have 5 rings running next to each other at the same time, and the next dog in line is at the start before the running dog leaves - so thats 10 dogs offlead with no issues, not to mention the fact that there will be offlead dogs exercising close to the rings - and in some shows I have been in there have been other rings with horses running
I dont have one serious hang up with show dogs, I have one serious hang up that every time I ask a genuine question there is closed ranks saying how stupid it is. It is just typical that you see it is 'stupid' to consider letting the dogs run one at a time offlead round the ring - whereas it is totaly normal and not strange at all to hold a dogs head upright therefore artificially changing thier gate - when the judge is supposed to be looking at their movment at this point

I dont remember anyone saying anything about the shocking life they lead, thats just you being touchy
So the dogs are taught to walk at the right pace but it is up to the handler to hold their heads up for them?

lol yup I have seen some of the pairs games, we dont have enough of that up here

Oh are they now?? lol that is just pathetic, but if thats what you want, mine frantically out of control bomb round a ring and yours soulessly prance around a ring, about fair?
And everytime we try to explain you seem to be unable to grasp the points were making.
I'll try once more
Firstly it is against the KC rules even to drop the lead in the show ring (I assume you have KC rules in agility, flyball etc that you abide by).
You would have mayhem at an outside champ show if you had 10 15 rings and dogs off lead, the distractions would be too much.
The show dogs job is not to walk next to its owner that's taught in obedience.
Its hard enough for the judges as it is, how can you expect all the dogs to walk at the same pave if not been lead by a handler. (Ians crap always gets told to slow down).
The majority of show handlers dont string their dogs up its just a few.
Oh and I personnally hate to see agility border collies on short leads attached to a halti walking around the gamefairs with one eye permenantly closed.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

Well standing round the agility rings yesterday, those dogs certainly looked hyped up...

Funny you dont see that in the show ring
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:30 PM

of course they are exited, ..but they are not 'deliberately' hyped up (unlike flyball dogs) is what i meant.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
And everytime we try to explain you seem to be unable to grasp the points were making.
I'll try once more
Firstly it is against the KC rules even to drop the lead in the show ring (I assume you have KC rules in agility, flyball etc that you abide by).
You would have mayhem at an outside champ show if you had 10 15 rings and dogs off lead, the distractions would be too much.
The show dogs job is not to walk next to its owner that's taught in obedience.
Its hard enough for the judges as it is, how can you expect all the dogs to walk at the same pave if not been lead by a handler. (Ians crap always gets told to slow down).
The majority of show handlers dont string their dogs up its just a few.
Oh and I personnally hate to see agility border collies on short leads attached to a halti walking around the gamefairs with one eye permenantly closed.

What I hate to see is those handlers agility /flyball, that pick the dogs up by the scruff of the neck to place it on the ball!!

We get the argument of show handlers yanking /stringing the dog, yet no criticism towards those who pick up and fix their dogs on the line they want them to run
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-03-2011, 07:37 PM
of course they are exited, ..but they are not 'deliberately' hyped up (unlike flyball dogs) is what i meant.
Sorry, but would have to disagree with that, from observations yesterday!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

12-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

Horses for courses, you like yours to be hyped up and run frantically, I like mine under calm control
Page 17 of 28 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »