View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 07:15 PM
can I ask people, if these breeds came like that naturaly would they still find them repulsive?
I don't find the look repulsive but would still prefer a dobe without pricked ears, obviously if they were bred with ears that stood up i would still have one as i love the breed not just its looks but given the choice i would choose a dog with ears like my mads.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Having a breed where cropped ears are permissible in the USA, not only do I hate the look of cropped ears (and that goes for all cropped breeds) but I think in some instances they can actually be detrimental to producing naturally carried ears.
I say this because cropping ears can disguise incorrect ear carriage as some people have discovered when importing dogs from lines with cropped ears then finding the resulting progeny have 'flying ears'.

I used to like docked tails but now appreciate how much more visibly expressive a dog's body language is when a tail is left intact and I would say that goes for ears too (I can tell instantly if Chloe is not well, it is the only time she carries her tail down) .
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 01:55 PM
I think it is disgusting and dont like the look either .... natural for me.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I am keen on the above breed but have to admit that I prefer the cropped ear look. That is simply my personal opinion. I am not refering to whether I believe it is acceptable or not to inflict surgery, on a dog, simpy for cosmetic reasons.
I do too Werewolf, I think they look so much more striking with their ears cropped (Great Danes too). I feel the same about docked Rotts too, I really like the look of them with the docked tail (then again, nice to see them with waggy tails too!!)

BUT.....I totally admit to being hypocritical on this topic as I detest the thought of them having it done for cosmetic purposes only and don't agree with it! (what can I say, I'm a Gemini, twin-personality lol )

For anyone wondering why I have a docked Rottie, he'd already been docked when we went to view the litter and prior to the new laws which are in.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
I think it is disgusting and dont like the look either .... natural for me.
Same here for me.

Cropping ears is barbaric.
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I think its awful - my daughters ears stick out a bit - would I have them corrected no way. If she were born with perfectly flat ears would I have them chopped to the latest trend - absolutely not. I know a child & a dog are different - but all living breathing beings.

I have been given an opportunity to have a beautiful dobe. Owners emigrating. This dog is amazing in absolutely every way. Other than the fact it has been cosmetically altered. Not ears - but docked tail. I am really in 2 minds whether to have her. I feel like a hypocrite taking the dog on because there was no need for this surgery - she wasn't a working dog so it wasn't needed. Sickening.

Threads like this could easily kill a forum. I have really been put off.
Dog lovers - bs.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I think its awful - my daughters ears stick out a bit - would I have them corrected no way. If she were born with perfectly flat ears would I have them chopped to the latest trend - absolutely not. I know a child & a dog are different - but all living breathing beings.

I have been given an opportunity to have a beautiful dobe. Owners emigrating. This dog is amazing in absolutely every way. Other than the fact it has been cosmetically altered. Not ears - but docked tail. I am really in 2 minds whether to have her. I feel like a hypocrite taking the dog on because there was no need for this surgery - she wasn't a working dog so it wasn't needed. Sickening.

Threads like this could easily kill a forum. I have really been put off.
Dog lovers - bs.
Really? did you think it would only be pictures of nice dogs and no discussions on topics such as this?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Mouse, why on earth are you put off?

This is a dog forum....we discuss all things dog....both the good and the bad, from the good to the controversial, such as this topic.
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Not at all - I think constructive informative discussions on subjects such as these are needed.
I'm not a pretty picture person, I would rather read a good thread than look at pictures.
It gets so gripey and bitchey that its a real turn off. People must have their opinion & view thats what makes the world go round- but some aren't willing to say we'll agree to disagree and get really silly.
Thats the bit thats the turn off - NOT the topic.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Not at all - I think constructive informative discussions on subjects such as these are needed.
I'm not a pretty picture person, I would rather read a good thread than look at pictures.
It gets so gripey and bitchey that its a real turn off. People must have their opinion & view thats what makes the world go round- but some aren't willing to say we'll agree to disagree and get really silly.
Thats the bit thats the turn off - NOT the topic.
ah I see, its not the subject, but the attitude of some of the posters on this thread,

I think its pretty common on forums to be honest,

there is an ignore button for anyone whos post offend you, that way you can read post by members who you feel merrit reading and block the others you dont want to read
Page 17 of 26 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »