View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I have waded through this whole thread...

If the National wasn't televised, we wouldn't have this debate - a bit like the fact that Crufts is televised and that has caused so much controversy in the non-dog public.

My friend owns an ex-racehorse (an Arab), whom she bought from a racing stables when it was clear that she wasn't a race winning horse. All the horses from the stables went to auction at the end of their racing life, to be 'pets'. My friend was lucky, and had looked after Mas for a few years in her racing life (going to meets, grooming, mucking out, leading out at races etc) so was given a choice to buy her before auction.

In terms of horse-sports being dangerous, we have had a horse who had to be shot on the beach following a 'nice ride in the country', which was very, very unpleasant; and we've seen a horse having to be put down at a show (not racing) from a serious injury sustained on the showground; plus a horse injured on a small cross-country course, who nearly had to be put down there.

This is what happens - with an animal that large and fragile, a broken bone is a death sentence, whether it's from a 'nice ride in the country' or a race.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Are you saying that every year at least one Horse is killed in the national? Cos just last year even, I dont remember one being killed in it.
Last year four horses died, five the year before.

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I have waded through this whole thread...

If the National wasn't televised, we wouldn't have this debate - a bit like the fact that Crufts is televised and that has caused so much controversy in the non-dog public.

My friend owns an ex-racehorse (an Arab), whom she bought from a racing stables when it was clear that she wasn't a race winning horse. All the horses from the stables went to auction at the end of their racing life, to be 'pets'. My friend was lucky, and had looked after Mas for a few years in her racing life (going to meets, grooming, mucking out, leading out at races etc) so was given a choice to buy her before auction.

In terms of horse-sports being dangerous, we have had a horse who had to be shot on the beach following a 'nice ride in the country', which was very, very unpleasant; and we've seen a horse having to be put down at a show (not racing) from a serious injury sustained on the showground; plus a horse injured on a small cross-country course, who nearly had to be put down there.

This is what happens - with an animal that large and fragile, a broken bone is a death sentence, whether it's from a 'nice ride in the country' or a race.
As I said earlier, it's all about the amount of risk- a horse being injured or dying from a freak accident on a hack or show is very different to a race where an average of 3 horses die each year. The deaths are equally unpleasant, but the latter situation is quite avoidable.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Are you saying that every year at least one Horse is killed in the national? Cos just last year even, I dont remember one being killed in it.
Me neither....

Watched it, enjoyed it, and my sympathies go to the owners of the fallen horses
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
As I said earlier, it's all about the amount of risk- a horse being injured or dying from a freak accident on a hack or show is very different to a race where an average of 3 horses die each year. The deaths are equally unpleasant, but the latter situation is quite avoidable.
But I'm fairly certain that more horses die every year on hacks/rides/shows (even if they are freak accidents) than in the Grand National - it's just that its more public... every time you take a horse out on a hack, you are putting it at risk, every time you put a horse in a horse box, you are putting it at risk - taking a horse out of it's field is a risk. Even the most steady horse can be spooked by anything outside - cars, people, sounds, plastic bags. You also have to factor in other people (drivers, kids, cyclists), cows, sheep etc.

I don't believe there is any more risk to a race horse than a rider who takes their horse out on regular hacks or cross-country courses. They take a calculated risks every time they go out.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-04-2011, 05:41 PM

But none running in the Grand National died as Dawn stated.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-04-2011, 05:45 PM
But I'm fairly certain that more horses die every year on hacks/rides/shows (even if they are freak accidents) than in the Grand National - it's just that its more public... every time you take a horse out on a hack, you are putting it at risk, every time you put a horse in a horse box, you are putting it at risk - taking a horse out of it's field is a risk. Even the most steady horse can be spooked by anything outside - cars, people, sounds, plastic bags. You also have to factor in other people (drivers, kids, cyclists), cows, sheep etc.

I don't believe there is any more risk to a race horse than a rider who takes their horse out on regular hacks or cross-country courses. They take a calculated risks every time they go out.
In fact the risks are higher, more horses die in "freak accidents" a year simply by riding them out.

Originally Posted by galty View Post
Exactly!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Whoops, a misread on my part

I wouldn't say that the risks are higher for horses hacking than for running in the grand national- still quite the opposite, in fact. Overall more horses may die in accidents whilst hacking etc, but that doesn't equate to it being riskier; it's a far larger number of animals overall, so for every horse who does die out on a hack etc, there will be many many more thousands who don't. After all, if the odds of a horse dying on a hack were the same as a horse dying at the grand national, then statistically a horse who went on one hack per day would be lucky to live for six months! Which evidently isn't the case. But I feel like I am banging on a bit now, so I think I'll bow out
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 06:05 PM

I agree totally and I say that having a love of horses (though I know some will dispute that in light of the fact I watched The National) and having been one of those who have owned horses and ponies and have unintentionally put them at risk by beach gallops, hay field gallops, facing fallen trees/gates and asking my horse to jump such obstacle, hill and glen rides and road rides, also boxing and transporting my horses.
I didn't think any had lost there lives the last two years, that obviously does not take away from todays tragic occurrences at Aintree
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
In fact the risks are higher, more horses die in "freak accidents" a year simply by riding them out.

Exactly!
What she says

It is sad that two beautiful animals died today I doubt any on here would deny that.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 06:07 PM
I just read that it was three today!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Nope, NOT in the Grand National as Rune implied.
Precisely.
Page 17 of 52 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 > Last »