Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Indeed, my lovely "will be calmed by castration" male STILL cocks his leg and "scents" everywhere, still trys to be a full and young male, still attempts to be this shadow of his intact glory days and still humps bitches by the handfull-he is the canine equivellent of Bruce Forsyth i tell you!
He still "hassles" intact males too, in quite a challenging manner. Infact castration had no affects on any of the problems it was meant to "help", and has only successfully managed to give him a thick horrible coat!
Unfortunately all the "male behaviour" that is learned prior to castration is not unlearned by removing the source of the testosterone, as you have discovered. It then becomes a behavioural/training issue. This was pointed out to me by a vet who is in favour of all dogs being neutered at 6 months. Personally I would still leave it until the dog is physically mature but deal with the "male behaviours" as they cropped up.

I have just acquired a male, 17 month old ESS called Dusty, who is neutered and is chasing both male and female dogs in an aggressive and preditory manner with the sole intention of humping them. He also does it to one of my other neutered males, Freddie, who is too submisive to stop him effectively. He was really persistent at first, completely disregarding anything I said (or did) and causing Freddie huge levels of anxiety. I deployed my plant mister on the "squirt" setting on 2 occasions whilst issuing the comand "leave", which worked at treat. The other dog Ollie pinned him to the floor for humping him which has resolved it as far as he is concerned. I am working really hard on Dusty's recall and "leave" commands and he has definitely improved as far as Freddie is concerned, now virtually leaving him in peace.

I am fortunate enough to have lots of friends and family with stooge dogs we can walk with and practise on. I am delighted to say that we are making good progress. Fortunately we rarely encounter other dogs in the woods where we walk, but if we are likely to, until I have completely resolved this Dusty has to stay on a flexi-lead.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Neither can they when owned by responsible beings who control their dogs?
Around here people who can control entire dogs are the minority...

Don't forget that people on this forum are the dog owning minority.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Unless you are going to breed/show i can't see the point personally of having an uncastrated dog/unspayed bitch - thats what the bits are there for after all. If it stops unwanted pregancies then crack on.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I'm sorry, Pidge, there are often difficult decisions when they involve our furry friends.

Have a search back through Dogsey for threads on castration, neutering, etc. and perhaps they will contain other information to help you.
Don't worry, you've been very informative which is just what I wanted ;o)

Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I did , though if you have a dog who goes deaf and bolts after a bitch the other death may follow.
LOL, LMAO Stormey ;o)

Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Hi Pidge, I think my head would be reeling if I were you This whole thread has got a tad too technical for me

Despite what some say, I have experience of an intact male and, I can assure you, training or otherwise, when the boy is "excited" as in there is a female around in season, they lose their head. They are not your furry, fluffy friend any more, they are a bit manic, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I know you have decided to have the op done to sort Woody out anyway but I think 9 months is a little young, personally. I prefer not to let any of my dogs/bitches get castrated/spayed under 18 months. I think you should give them time to get fully mature before you remove their bits but that is only personal choice. I am sure 9 months is not going to be detrimental to Woody, if that is what you go with. Whatever you do with him, he'll still be gorgeous. As for his coat, I've never owned a breed where their coat is affected
Hmmmmm. OK thanks Fran. ;o)

Originally Posted by Lene View Post
And I think that's the problem people face... If you wait till your dog is fully mature, all the desexing will do, is to prevent babies... Desexing before the hormones set in, will have a better result... mostly because there won't be any hormones to deal with...
That's exactly what I thought and if I didn't have a springer I wouldn't really give it a second thought. The trouble I have is that I am aware of so many pros and cons for neutering a springer so my head is spinning.

The breeders aren't in touch with any of his brother's anymore sadly, apparently we're the only ones who bothered and they kept the only bitch.

I'm also finding it difficult to speak to people at work who own springers (ALOT) as general consensus seems to be that if they are breeders they suggest leaving him, if they're workers they say castrate after 9 months.

The vet has said it's entirely up to my but not until 9 months.

I honestly think the best thing is to forget about it for now and see how we feel/he is in 3 months time.

There, sorted and thank you all for your advice/help xx
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 01:44 PM
You must feel proud to have inspired a 16-page thread about your dogs balls.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 06:18 PM
I must admit, I haven't looked at them in the same way since ;o)
Page 16 of 16 « First < 6 13 14 15 16