Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
It wasn't a very balanced view at all but it was an excellent programme that highlighted the need for change in a lot of breed standards.

That cannot be denied.
Yes, I agree with this.

The programme wasn't balanced BUT it did make people aware about several severe problems that many breeds suffer from, and these issues needed to be highlighted.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:48 PM
It was an expose though...so it was never going to be a balance...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound
And this is the way I saw it, I have said before that a number of times I have had to defend my healthy RR when people have pointed at his ridge and knowingly say spina bifida.
I think her intentions started off pure but then JH realised this could be her defining moment and all balance went out the window. This doc could have been great and a true picture of what is wrong in the world of dog breeding but instead it went down the cheap route of Nazi visuals and sound bites. If she had done this honestly, she would probably have found a lot of support from all the people that she has alienated
Excellent post.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I don't think she would ever have got support for saying that some show dogs ahve problems and a re badly bred...
it surely was a true picture of what is worong in the world of show dog breeding?

I think it was Rubylover gave some quotes?

I think if she had shown a balanced, honest view then she might have been surprised by support but you win nothing when you back everyone in a corner.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-03-2009, 07:54 PM
I disagree. I think it did give a balanced view.
It was an expose though...so it was never going to be a balance...
Which is it... a balanced programme, or an unbalanced expose.

I for one see it as the latter
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I think if she had shown a balanced, honest view then she might have been surprised by support but you win nothing when you back everyone in a corner.
It was honest though. She didn't lie. All the things in it are totally true and happen.

I'm not sure who she has backed into a corner? If it is poor breeders, then I see no problem with that?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Which is it... a balanced programme, or an unbalanced expose.

I for one see it as the latter

It was a balanced expose.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post

Well the number of Cavaliers seen by my vet with SM are mainly from either one of two show kennels(one of which has had all their breeding dogs scanned & they are normal !)or from one of many pet/BYB whose dogs are not KC registered & the vast majority are not KC registered.

I run a pet DTC & the number of people turning up with non KC pedigree puppies has tripled since that program & all the proud owners have stated they bought the puppy because all KC dogs are unhealthy(ironical really as several of the puppies have inherited conditions from blindness from CEA to epileptic fits with HD, ED & slipping patellae in between) & yes one of the unreg puppies is a Cavalier with MRI scanned SM !
Is this your statistical data then??
In fairness that's about as useful as my 'I have spoken to lots of dog owners...'
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 08:03 PM
It was a balanced expose.
well-bal·anced (wlblnst)
adj.
1. Evenly proportioned, balanced, or regulated.
2. Mentally stable; sensible or sound.

The documentary did not represent all sides of the argument, so technically speaking it was not balanced at all.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 08:05 PM
It was honest though. She didn't lie. All the things in it are totally true and happen.

I'm not sure who she has backed into a corner? If it is poor breeders, then I see no problem with that?
Look at this thread, not one person who has joined this thread would ever support bad breeding practices but some will vehemently condemn the doc. It wasnt honest as it had no integrity, she didn't break a few eggs to make an omlette, she smashed the eggs against the wall and left good breeders to clear up the mess.

Do you think that some of the bad breeding practices carried out are horrific enough without all the sensationalism? I do.
Page 16 of 28 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »