Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
no they are given so they can charge more
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No, they are given the names because you can add an extra 0 or two on the price tag.
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
true. Many crosses are sold for more than their parent`s breeds would be.
I've already said that is what is happening now all I am saying is long before these dogs had big price tags there were people calling their crosses by "designer names" and the jokes about what to call various crosses have been around even longer.
I still say their is a problem with the the way the words mutt and mongrel are used by some people and that was what started it all off.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by animal-lover View Post
I rather just call my dogs by their names as i dont like mongrel,mutt but crossbreed is fine as this what they are.
I dont see the problem they are just dog's and we love them.
It was not us owners who labelled them Labradoodles or Cockerpoo's etc.
But you just did earlier in the thread. I want to call mine a cocker poodle cross, and you said dont you mean "cockerpoo".
It is not there true name as they dont have a true name, they are crossbreeds.
Vikki123
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 01:47 PM
I think that the main problem with talking about this subject is that there are no real facts to support that crosses should not be bred. It's all opinion, but then again opinions can make for interesting discussions
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I've already said that is what is happening now all I am saying is long before these dogs had big price tags there were people calling their crosses by "designer names" and the jokes about what to call various crosses have been around even longer.
I still say their is a problem with the the way the words mutt and mongrel are used by some people and that was what started it all off.
not really, why cant they just be called crossbreeds?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Vikki123 View Post
Well, they wrote some guidelines on how they think breeds of dogs should look.

did they??/

Yes...
http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/se...public/breeds/

The bulldog didn't always have such a large squashed head and heavy chest, some people just thought that this looked better.

which people??

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/

The breed standards are OPINIONS of an organisation,

which organisation?

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/

Name some??

Name what? breeds that have been introduced overtime? not all breeds existed at exactly the same instant, they were selectively bred over the years.

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/se.../public/breeds

The KC holds the "rights" to breed standards , that are registered with them,.........the KC did not "invent" breed standards or breeds, based on their opinions.

Many of the breeds we see today, were "invented" before the KC came into existence.

It is NOT the KC who "developed breeds standards" breed enthusiasts did that!! they are the ones who set down the "standard" .

You said....

which is why they can be changed and new breeds can be accepted!
I asked you which "new breeds" are now accepted , by the KC??

All your links are simply showing the KC hold the standards, and supply information of the breed and /clubs.

It does nto state that they (KC) invented any breeds.

Breeds evolve and yes, they have changed over generations, the KC is not at fault for that, they have not changed the breed standard to accommodate what fashion dictates.

In recent times due to a certain programme, they (KC) have laid down recommendations to breed clubs to "improve" on their standards.

But in most cases the "breed standard " will read the same, its all down to interpretation of breeders how they implement it.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure if I've written on this thread before but:

I own a Springer cross Labrador - he was advertised as a "Springador" and he cost my OH £300 - it was a ridiculous amount to pay for him, but me and my OH fell in love with him and he did lose my engagement ring the day before.
He's a smashing dog and I'm glad we got him as he has proved that he is worth a lot more than what we paid.

Sadie is what you would call a "BorderJack", Border Collie cross Jack Russell Terrier. We didn't realise she was classed as a "Designer breed" until after we got Louie. 9 years ago when her owner's got her - she cost a fiver as she was an accident, an agoraphobic woman's dog got out and came back pregnant - and then there was Sadie and her littermates.

I was watching Dogs 101 on Animal planet and they did a special on "Designer breeds" - if you google it it'll come up. And on the programme it said that some smaller "designer breeds" unlike the bigger "breeds" can end up with health issues and are born with defects and other problems. So if a person is into these "breeds" it would be advisable to only have 1st generation pups (lab x poodle instead of doodle x doodle - for example)

I personally hate calling Louie a Springador - he's always been a Springer x Labrador to me...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
because they will only sell for £50 instead of £500
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
You tell me because I don't understand why people look down their noses and sneer, never have done. We have only ever had two pure breeds and are big fans of crosses. Just won't pay top money for one.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I'm not sure if I've written on this thread before but:

I own a Springer cross Labrador - he was advertised as a "Springador" and he cost my OH £300 - it was a ridiculous amount to pay for him, but me and my OH fell in love with him and he did lose my engagement ring the day before.
He's a smashing dog and I'm glad we got him as he has proved that he is worth a lot more than what we paid.

Sadie is what you would call a "BorderJack", Border Collie cross Jack Russell Terrier. We didn't realise she was classed as a "Designer breed" until after we got Louie. 9 years ago when her owner's got her - she cost a fiver as she was an accident, an agoraphobic woman's dog got out and came back pregnant - and then there was Sadie and her littermates.

I was watching Dogs 101 on Animal planet and they did a special on "Designer breeds" - if you google it it'll come up. And on the programme it said that some smaller "designer breeds" unlike the bigger "breeds" can end up with health issues and are born with defects and other problems. So if a person is into these "breeds" it would be advisable to only have 1st generation pups (lab x poodle instead of doodle x doodle - for example)

I personally hate calling Louie a Springador - he's always been a Springer x Labrador to me...
Why is £300 a ridiculous price to pay - you have a dog you love and one you wanted.....is there a price tag for that?

I paid £400 for Siren....and would again.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
You tell me because I don't understand why people look down their noses and sneer, never have done. We have only ever had two pure breeds and are big fans of crosses. Just won't pay top money for one.
Sorry i dont understand what your asking?

Its all opinion, dont worry ive had the worst of it, we call ours a cocker poodle cross and we get met with ahh a cockerpoo then the judging and disgusted faces appear. Not our fault what someone else wants to call it that. We have people who go out their way to have a go at our dog (literally come out of no-where), but with the crosses weve just needed to be thick skinned and understand everyones point of view.

I just dont like it when people pretend they are something they are not.

The way i see it is if you dont want to fork out big money for getting a dog. Get a rescue Plenty of crosses and plenty of peds.
Page 15 of 28 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »