Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Personally I do think you are potty giving this woman money for a dog when she has a history of this behaviour; whilst it is great for THIS dog that it is out of the situation I cannot help feeling that as the only consequences for keeping this dog in the conditions you describe is getting a lot of money, the temptation for this person is surely to repeat the behaviour?
If we all had this attitude, no dogs would be saved.

By taking a rescue dog out of a rescue you are freeing up space for another person to give theirs up.

By taking an ex breeding bitch from many tears and the like - you are encouraging the breeders to keep dumping them.

You buy a 'cheap' badly bred pup, £400, from your average backstreet breeder in their 2 up 2 down house - you encourage them to breed their pets again for more money.

Dogs don't ask to be treated like throw away dogs, and you have to be a pretty cold hearted human being to not want to try to give such dogs a second chance at life.

Damn right I'd 'save' a dog every time.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
If we all had this attitude, no dogs would be saved.

That is not strictly true, most dogs are either given up, donated to rescue or taken off the owners with no money changing hands.

By taking a rescue dog out of a rescue you are freeing up space for another person to give theirs up.

But this dog is not in rescue is it, it is in a private home.
By taking an ex breeding bitch from many tears and the like - you are encouraging the breeders to keep dumping them.

I agree absolutely.

You buy a 'cheap' badly bred pup, £400, from your average backstreet breeder in their 2 up 2 down house - you encourage them to breed their pets again for more money.

I agree absolutely.

Dogs don't ask to be treated like throw away dogs, and you have to be a pretty cold hearted human being to not want to try to give such dogs a second chance at life.

I agree absolutely.

Damn right I'd 'save' a dog every time.
I agree absolutely, but I would not reinforce the behaviour of the owner by PAYING her. This will only make the behaviour more likely to happen
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I agree absolutely, but I would not reinforce the behaviour of the owner by PAYING her. This will only make the behaviour more likely to happen
But in this instance, this is the only way the dog could be 'saved' - the woman wouldn't have given it up for free.

I've paid to take an emaciated Akita 6 month old pup off a man who kept it in his back yard living in it's own dirt and beat it with a stick, the dog was placed in rescue, this was before any assessment was done, I knew the dog hadn't met a single other dog in it's life and it's only experience of people was abuse, but even if the dog was deemed un-rehomable and had to be pts, it was the best £50 I've ever spent to know I had saved the dog from that life.

The girl is now in foster, and in this case I know the man doesn't have, and has no intentions of having another dog to subject such cruelty to.

That's not wrong.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
But in this instance, this is the only way the dog could be 'saved' - the woman wouldn't have given it up for free.

I've paid to take an emaciated Akita 6 month old pup off a man who kept it in his back yard living in it's own dirt and beat it with a stick, the dog was placed in rescue, this was before any assessment was done, I knew the dogs hadn't met a single other dog in it's life and it's only experience of people was abuse, but even if the dog was deemed un-rehomable and had to be pts, it was the best £50 I've ever spent to know I had saved the dog from that life.

The girl is now in foster, and in this case I know the man doesn't have, and has no intentions of having another dog to subject such cruelty to.
That is great, however, from the OPs posts, this woman is a serial offender...........

And nobody has said it is "wrong" merely that it will not necessarily help in the long run.
proudmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2011, 09:23 PM
You may think I am potty to give her money but i see it as the best money ever spent. Yes she will get more dogs but like i have said i will be there fighting for them. I did what i had to do to save this dog. Im also hoping that i can buy the BC and SBT off her aswell. If no one else is willing to help these dogs then im all they have and i am willing to fight for and stand up for them even if it does cost me a small fortune. I also would hope that anyone in my situation would do the same
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by proudmummy View Post
You may think I am potty to give her money but i see it as the best money ever spent. Yes she will get more dogs but like i have said i will be there fighting for them. I did what i had to do to save this dog. Im also hoping that i can buy the BC and SBT off her aswell. If no one else is willing to help these dogs then im all they have and i am willing to fight for and stand up for them even if it does cost me a small fortune. I also would hope that anyone in my situation would do the same
I would help but I would never pay the owner, as by paying a person like this you are encouraging the person to keep on getting dogs and mistreating them.

In exactly the same way as Akitagirl describes:

You buy a 'cheap' badly bred pup, £400, from your average backstreet breeder in their 2 up 2 down house - you encourage them to breed their pets again for more money

The same applies to people like this.

I home check and assess dogs for rehoming, I will not pay people for harming their dogs.
proudmummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2011, 09:35 PM
So if there was no other way than paying the owner you would leave the dog with her?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by proudmummy View Post
So if there was no other way than paying the owner you would leave the dog with her?

IME there is always another way.............

Look, I am not trying to make you feel bad about what you did, if you are happy with your actions and the outcome that is all that matters to you.

I am just giving my perspective, does not mean either of us is "right" or "wrong" it just means we look at things in different ways!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
didn't mean to offend ... but you asked!

its said to basically mean a couple of steps further on than lol (laughing out loud)
Oh gosh no i wasnt offended - just amazed that some people can use this sort of thing in a post
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Oh gosh no i wasnt offended - just amazed that some people can use this sort of thing in a post

Quite a lot of posters use these initials, as they do with PMPL
Closed Thread
Page 15 of 24 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »