Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Dawn, like I also said earlier, I don't care if they walked into Somalia itself, they should be rescued. If they won't send the SAS in, then they should pay, we waste enough of tax payers money on benefits everyday, these people have worked all their lives, and deserve to be rescued. One stupid mistake need not condemn them to death.

As for preventing the pirates doing so again should we not pay, will that work, I sincerely doubt it. They're now in a catch 22, the government won't pay, they'll kill the couple eventually to show they meant business! Either way we lose. I find it shocking that so many think that by not paying we're showing what a country we are, we have the strongest armies in the world, if this country could be bothered we'd have them out by the weekend.
Well if that was put into practice, we would know wouldnt we.

Why should more of our troops be put at risk because of peoples stupidity and ignorance of the facts? Dont you think we have enough of our troops dying at the moment., and we are supposed to believe thats for the good too! Is it?
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well if that was put into practice, we would know wouldnt we.

Why should more of our troops be put at risk because of peoples stupidity and ignorance of the facts? Dont you think we have enough of our troops dying at the moment., and we are supposed to believe thats for the good too! Is it?
We have the armed forces to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. They fight political wars, and they sign that dotted line, no one forces them into the armed forces. What if this was a pair of young girls backpacking, would you have more sympathy then?
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 11:45 PM
I've not read all the posts, and although I'm sure others have said it already, here's my opinion on the subject.

I'd support a rescue attempt provided there was a reasonable chance of success, and that the people mounting the rescue weren't being taken from somewhere where they could be put to better use.

However, at no time should we pay to get these people back, I don't care if we can aford it, if we do, it is guaranteed to give more insentive to the pirates to take more people prisoner, and more than likely for more money. By paying we reward their behaviour, buy not paying we may not stop it, but we're not encouraging it either.

The couple in question weren't innocent, they knew where they were going and what may happen to them as a result, they still decided to risk it, actions have consequences, and some mistakes have a higher price to pay then others. Why should the government clean up their mess for them, they didn't send them their, they went of their own accord, knowing the risks, people often complain that the government interferes to much with individuals and their choices, but its ok when it suits.

In cases like this, people have to remain objective, that means putting aside emotions which more often than not cloud reason and therefore impair judgement, in order to look at the full picture, and make decisions based on logical analysis of the situation.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 12:59 AM
Dawn, like I also said earlier, I don't care if they walked into Somalia itself, they should be rescued. If they won't send the SAS in, then they should pay, we waste enough of tax payers money on benefits everyday, these people have worked all their lives, and deserve to be rescued. One stupid mistake need not condemn them to death.
Oh, so now a person's life is only worth saving if they' do or have worked...and people think I'm cold.

Here's an idea, how about we send all these jobless scumbags (including me) who clearly don't want to work, (oh wait, I've been trying to get a job since I left college), off to pirate infested waters, then the government can spend more money paying to get us back, thats if we're worth saving of course.

Infact even better, they can pay us to go, we can make a career out of it, tax deductable and everything, then we'd be killing to birds with one stone. We'd have enough jobs for the numbers of unemployed which atm we don't, anyone of any background/skill level/disability could do it, and as we would be working, the government would be justified in paying to have us returned.

Captives PLC
The UK's number 1 provider of hostages since 2010.

Here at Captives PLC, we are commited to finding the right hostige for any situation.
We pride ourselves on having the widest range of captives available on the market, and at reasonable cost.
Visit us instore or call to request a catalog.

Please note:

All captives will be given a full health and temperament assessment. You will be notified of any pre-existing health conditions, mental health issues, medication requirements or substance addictions, before you commit to the purchase of your captive/s.

We cannot be held responsible for the physical/emotional state of your captive/s after they leave us here at Captives PLC. Any damage sustained whilst captured is none refundable. If your captive/s are killed whilst in captivity, a replacement maybe arranged.

You know, I never seace to amaze myself with my genius, or my sarcasm.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Oh, so now a person's life is only worth saving if they' do or have worked...and people think I'm cold.

Here's an idea, how about we send all these jobless scumbags (including me) who clearly don't want to work, (oh wait, I've been trying to get a job since I left college), off to pirate infested waters, then the government can spend more money paying to get us back, thats if we're worth saving of course.

Infact even better, they can pay us to go, we can make a career out of it, tax deductable and everything, then we'd be killing to birds with one stone. We'd have enough jobs for the numbers of unemployed which atm we don't, anyone of any background/skill level/disability could do it, and as we would be working, the government would be justified in paying to have us returned.

Captives PLC
The UK's number 1 provider of hostages since 2010.

Here at Captives PLC, we are commited to finding the right hostige for any situation.
We pride ourselves on having the widest range of captives available on the market, and at reasonable cost.
Visit us instore or call to request a catalog.

Please note:

All captives will be given a full health and temperament assessment. You will be notified of any pre-existing health conditions, mental health issues, medication requirements or substance addictions, before you commit to the purchase of your captive/s.

We cannot be held responsible for the physical/emotional state of your captive/s after they leave us here at Captives PLC. Any damage sustained whilst captured is none refundable. If your captive/s are killed whilst in captivity, a replacement maybe arranged.

You know, I never seace to amaze myself with my genius, or my sarcasm.
Not need for the rant, if you'd read my previous post correctly I said "and" they deserve to be rescued, not "therefore".

I stood in the post office yesterday, where a man who didn't wait to be called forwards just waltzed up to the counter and pushed a crumpled up piece of paper through the window. Clearly was cashing a giro, which he asked for in £10 notes. He proceeded to leave the post office at the same time as me, and walked into the pub over the road. THAT is a waste of taxpayers money in my opinion, there are many genuine claims which I'm sure yours is - but there are many more time wasters.

I believe a lot of people are of the opinion that they deserve to be left to rot because they made a mistake, but underlying it I think a lot of people (not necessarily on this forum but generally) particularly don't like it because they're sailing around on their own yacht. My personal view is that they have worked and deserved this trip, but at the end of the day they were amateurs having an experience of a lifetime, if they'd capsized we'd have all expected the coastguard to rescue them, they're in trouble and I expect our country to do something to save them.

Theses pirates aren't going to not bother taking hostages because the government didn't pay, they'll keep on taking more until they do.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2010, 09:27 AM

As for preventing the pirates doing so again should we not pay, will that work, I sincerely doubt it. They're now in a catch 22, the government won't pay, they'll kill the couple eventually to show they meant business! Either way we lose. I find it shocking that so many think that by not paying we're showing what a country we are, we have the strongest armies in the world, if this country could be bothered we'd have them out by the weekend.
If only we lived in your perfect world.

People travel the world, they get themselves into deep water )pardon the pun) and automatically we (the tax payer ) should get them out of it.

OK so here's another scenario........a middle class couple, living in another country, or even here if you like...a member of their family gets kidnapped....and a ransom is demanded.... are you really saying that the government should pay up for that ransom demand!!

Then the next, and then next, and the next and so on and so on

your logic being that we give benifits to those who dont deserve it, so we should pay ransoms as well
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

11-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
OK so here's another scenario........a middle class couple, living in another country, or even here if you like...a member of their family gets kidnapped....and a ransom is demanded.... are you really saying that the government should pay up for that ransom demand!!
Oh hang on a minute Jackie ..........that could be me
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
We have the armed forces to fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. They fight political wars, and they sign that dotted line, no one forces them into the armed forces. What if this was a pair of young girls backpacking, would you have more sympathy then?
If the backpackers were in an area where they were warned NOT to go, Id have no more sympathy no. Would you? They havent worked yet, not paid any taxes?
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Not need for the rant, if you'd read my previous post correctly I said "and" they deserve to be rescued, not "therefore".

I stood in the post office yesterday, where a man who didn't wait to be called forwards just waltzed up to the counter and pushed a crumpled up piece of paper through the window. Clearly was cashing a giro, which he asked for in £10 notes. He proceeded to leave the post office at the same time as me, and walked into the pub over the road. THAT is a waste of taxpayers money in my opinion, there are many genuine claims which I'm sure yours is - but there are many more time wasters.

I believe a lot of people are of the opinion that they deserve to be left to rot because they made a mistake, but underlying it I think a lot of people (not necessarily on this forum but generally) particularly don't like it because they're sailing around on their own yacht. My personal view is that they have worked and deserved this trip, but at the end of the day they were amateurs having an experience of a lifetime, if they'd capsized we'd have all expected the coastguard to rescue them, they're in trouble and I expect our country to do something to save them.

Theses pirates aren't going to not bother taking hostages because the government didn't pay, they'll keep on taking more until they do.
The post wasn't meant to be taken seriously you know. It was written in good humoured sarcasm. I was taking your point and playing with it. The joys of the internet, so much can get lost in translation.

I do agree that example you mention would be what I'd class as being a waste of tax payers money. There's a local guy who works as a decorator spends a lot of time going up and down ladders etc, though he recieves DLA at the highest level because he can't walk...as soon as I find out who that guy is, I'm going to be pointing the relevant people in his direction. Its people like that who really p**s me off, they give genuine claiments a bad name.

On the flip side, I was told by a friend a couple of days ago, who works for a charity that I myself will be geting involved in, though on a voluntary basis, that one of the people that they support was at one time told buy someone in the job centre that she should stop trying to steal jobs from normal non-disabled people. Think the guy was given one hell of a mouthful off this woman, she was then applorded buy those within ear shot for whatever it was she said.

No one I've ever spoken to in my local institute of misery lol, I mean job centre, has ever been that stupid to say anything like that to me, though they do have a habbit of never seeing me on time, its very annoying considering I'm always there when they tell me to be, usually earlier.

Getting back on topic, I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If the backpackers were in an area where they were warned NOT to go, Id have no more sympathy no. Would you? They havent worked yet, not paid any taxes?
I believe the plan I outlined above would solve that issue.

Maybe I should pitch the idea on dragon's den lol.
Page 15 of 20 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 > Last »