Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
As for not letting entire males offlead....I am also offended.
Cosmo is not interested in bitches in season and actually thus far has run away from them the big wimp, that includes a bitch ins eason that stayed with us for a week...he hid behind Tango.
His issues offlead are rabbits...and squirrels...and mud.....oh lets not forget the mud.

His furry plums are staying put. Should problems arise I will work with him...and use neutering as a very last resort. Should a medical reason arise for him to lose them...off they come.
I'm happy to say that you and I agree on something Ailsa!

I'm also offended. Dan has off lead issues too - cyclists, joggers, and people without dogs. I am careful in that respect where he goes off, but I wouldn't keep him on all the time coz he has his bits and bobs!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Not rude Lozzie---saying it like it is.

I have neutered all my dogs---for various reasons and not routinely but with a lot of heartsearching. That is how I think it ought to be.

To suggest that other owners will not be able to control their dogs is rude.

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 08:20 PM
I think there are a lot of myths around neutering. It isn`t that hard to control most dogs - even my last boy who had been a stud dog was only interested in bitches during the crucial fertile period. Of course you do get the odd one who will go for miles, but as a rule they are not slavering sex-monsters.
I`m a bit concerned that neutering, which IMO should be a decision taken for each individual dog is being viewed by some as an automatic requirement. If I choose not to neuter, it is in the best interest of my dog. If I do decide to neuter...the same is true.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
yes he was allowed offlead, but i am one of those terrible owners who neutered early.
i dont think anyone has said that. but you have just condradicted yourself by saying entire males shouldnt be let off lead, yet you let your own off??
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
As for not letting entire males offlead....I am also offended.
Cosmo is not interested in bitches in season and actually thus far has run away from them the big wimp, that includes a bitch ins eason that stayed with us for a week...he hid behind Tango.
His issues offlead are rabbits...and squirrels...and mud.....oh lets not forget the mud.

His furry plums are staying put. Should problems arise I will work with him...and use neutering as a very last resort. Should a medical reason arise for him to lose them...off they come.
oooohhhh the MUD
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Do you feel that you have learned all you will ever learn about dogs?
Do you feel that you have learned all you have to learn about training dogs at this point?

my point being, your young, you have had two dogs, over the next few years jake will teach you so much as will furture dogs,
you have limited experiance like it or lump it, its part of being young { wouldnt mind knocking ten years of my experiance just now

can I ask how many in season bitches you regularly meet?

Do you still think my male dogs should never be off lead because they are stud dogs?
No I don’t, but I doubt I ever will… I think very very few people could learn ALL there was to know about dogs. my uncle has always had dogs, usually 2 or 3 at a time (sadly he only has one just now, as the two he had died very close together so last summer got a lab pup, so once he is a bit older will get another, anyways OT…) and so in his 65-ish years, he has owned plenty. But I still wouldn’t say he knows everything about dogs, and he has some amount of knowledge.

I know jake will teach me lots, owning a dog is always a learning experience as they are all different but even so, since I was young I have always read and watched, and done as much as I can with dogs (even helping my aunt train her BC to work). Obviously that isn’t the same as actually experiencing it, but it does account for something.

I don’t meet any in season dogs regularly, but have met one with jake. and when we had sam we came across a few, but we generally walked him in quieter areas.

I don’t think they should be off lead in an unenclosed area, obviously all dogs are different and I know your dogs are extremely well trained. But I just cannot accept that people can know exactly how their dog will react in certain situations.

yes, but in my own home/garden not out walking,

what upset me lozzi is you feel my dogs should never be off lead.
I didn’t mean to upset or offend anyone, I was putting my personal opinion. I wasn’t condemning anyone who does let their dog off lead, its just not something I would do. what upset me though, was that sometimes I don’t seem to be able to make a comment without jakes recall getting brought into, which is totally unfair. He is a young, energetic, reactive dog and it is a common problem that many owners have, and one that I am trying to solve. Even the best, most responsible owners in the world can have problems with their dogs which may time a lot of time and work to overcome, so I do not appreciate that it needs to be cast up all the time.

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
Lozzi,we have now offended each other ....oops

just out of interest have you seen two dogs mate(not just a hypersexed male that jumps on anything?)

i am not against castration,but in my situation it is not something i am going to do 'routinely'
have I seen it for real? No, but I have seen plenty programmes where it has been shown (the doggy programmes are my fave )

Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
i think, if the in season bitch is off lead in a populated area and a dog comes sniffing round and the bitch is in her receptive period , then the deed will be done. because most of the time they will both run off together( try chasing them!)
in this senario the bitch owner is at fault.

now put the bitch on lead in the same situation.....the owner has more chance to protect the bitch by shouting and scaring the dog away.

thats why the responsibility belongs to the bitch owner.

just another thought..... How many vets PUSH the neuter/spey to all dog owners?

mine doesnt but will mention it. he leaves that decision to the owner.
I don’t agree it is just the bitch owners fault, I think it is equal responsibility. I have never had a vet push neuter on me, and neither did the SSPCA really… they told me I should get it done (and I do think it is part of the agreement, will check that out) and they did it for free when he was old enough. But it wasn’t something they spent a lot of time talking about and i doubt they would get in contact if i didnt. when we got my old boy they were much more pushy about it… maybe just coz he was older though.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You are wrong there LB. There have been several occurances on here, the problems are only caused when folk act irresponsibly further by allowing the pregnancies to continue. Like without parents being health tested, or in a couple Cats case, when they are kittens themselves. Accidents do happen, responsible owners correct their mistakes, full credit to those people.
I have read threads where it has happened, I even tried to find one that I read a while back but I cant, will keep looking though.

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
dont agree with that at all!! many entire dogs have a perfect (or as perfect as they can be) recall. and there are plenty of dogs that are neutered that dont come back! as for them smelling a bitch in season, you could easily switch it round by saying the owner of the in season bitch shouldnt be being walked around a place where they know other dog walkers and off lead dogs are going to be.
but if a neutered male doesn’t come back, there is no chance of them impregnating a female. So its hardly that same thing.

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i dont think anyone has said that. but you have just condradicted yourself by saying entire males shouldnt be let off lead, yet you let your own off??
not in this thread, but it is something commonly argued about on here. and I haven’t really contradicted myself, as jake would have been too young to mate (maybe just a week or two where he could have, hence why I mentioned he was neutered early). it wasnt like he spent months being offlead. and it was at that age, his recall starting going down hill so his off lead time was limited.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:34 PM
lozzi hun, what age was jake neutered at?

dogs can mate a bitch and sire pups from just months old.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 10:44 PM
i think responsibility is key here. i took lily to a very quiet park last saturday and she is in season. the last time we were there, i think we saw 1 other dog. this time a couple of other dogs did enter the park and i made sure i put lily straight on her lead.

2 spaniels did approach her and i picked her up and told the woman immediately that lily was in season. she thanked me for telling her and took her dogs away quite happily.

i intend on getting lily spayed when she is around 2 - 3 as i feel she will be fully mature and also at her peak of physical fitness to see her through the op and recovery.

having owned 2 neutered males (had to be due to being rescues) and one living until nearly 14. fantastic age for a lurcher. and dylan who is approximately 13 and has leukemia but in his mind he is still a pup. i can only wonder if their longevity has been helped by being neutered.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

09-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
So if your dog died under anaesthetic during an operation that wasn't necessary you'd be ok with that?

Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
I find that offensive too. How can you say that because I think it is necessary to get my dog neutered/spayed I would not be devastated if my dog died under anaesthetic for what you deem unnecessary?? Do you deem teeth cleaning for dogs is unnecessary??

Thank you Im glad someone agrees with me! Its all very well for people to say judge each dog as it is but to say that those who feel it is right to neuter their dogs dont care or thingk its ok if it dies under a GA is so out of order.

Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Just wanted to add, i have seen 100's of dogs through rescue that have been neutered with the hardest bit being keeping them quite after, i have also seen my fair share of older dogs come through that have not been spayed having to have major surgery to remove the resultant mammory tumors.

This is the latest Amy came to us at an estimated age of 7 last year not been spayed, intially had two lumps removed then, but they came back has now had to have a full Mammary strip, the wound is from her groin to under her front leg

This is major surgery for a dog of her age, personally i would rather take the risk of a GA with a young fit dog, than an elderly one having to be put through that
Totally agree, that poor girl I hope she recovers well and gets a home she deserves.

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I'll own up...several years ago when Remy (English Setter) was only about 2 years old my Irish setter mated her. I had kept the boys and the girls seperated, she was on day 31 of her season and I was out in the garden pottering about with her. Suddenly there was an almighty crash and my Irish lad had broken through the wood at the bottom of the door leading out to the garden, then jumped over the 4 foot wrought iron fence that was between the patio and the garden, whilst I was still gobsmacked and trying to work out what had happened they had tied, it must have happened within about 5 seconds of hearing the noise Needless to say, I phoned the vets immediately, we had to wait for 24 hours then she had to go for a couple of injections over a couple of days. Her seasons were never the same after that and I had to have her spayed.

I have no excuse other than the precautions I had taken simply weren't adequate. I had owned mixed sexes for over 25 years and that was the only accidental mating I had, I will always own up to it because it happened and I wouldn't lie about it if anyone asked me.
Thank you for that, I think it proves even the best measures are not alway adequate

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I have also known dogs who have been shoved in by rescues before they have been ready to cope and have become aggressive to dogs and humans. John Rogerson has commented on that happening.

I do think for the majority neutering is best----but not as a blanket policy for all without any thought to possible consequences.

rune
So should rescues be done or not - its something I asked earlier but wasnt addressed.

lol, its not like that at all, I have had to have two bitches jagged out when they were caught by my dogs, Its no big secret on here, its been posted about,
no one gave me a hard time about it, a lot has to do with what you do about mistakes when they happen, do the right thing and no ones going to condem you for that,
or at least thats my experiance of this forum.
So even the best can make mistakes.

Do you feel that you have learned all you will ever learn about dogs?
Do you feel that you have learned all you have to learn about training dogs at this point?

?
Shona you asked this question - can I reverse it - do you?
Page 14 of 33 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »