Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I have a degree in animal behaviour and welfare, I find it gives me a more factual less opinionate view of learning therory than some dog trainers educated by training organisations.

I also find becasue we were tuaght learning therory as opposed to to a method I am more adaptable in what I do.

I've never bothered with being a member of an organisation, seems like too much hassle.

Adam
How much of your course (time-wise) was dedicated to learning theory and did it cover training at all? If so, what animal(s) did you train and did the training run throughout the degree or just for one module?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 09:14 AM
This looks like AP's course.

http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/un...ur+and+Welfare

Pertinant bit would seem to be this one.......

Further study can lead to accreditation as an animal behaviour therapist, or laboratory animal care technician.

So actually AP is talking out of his backside! The course taught him nothing about being any kind of behaviourist/trainer. It is also obvious from his posts that it is dumbed down regarding basic qualifications in 'welfare' not to mention use of language!

rune
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 09:53 AM
What pass did you get Adam? Did they not worry too much about spelling, logic and attribution, then?
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
This looks like AP's course.

http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/un...ur+and+Welfare

Pertinant bit would seem to be this one.......

Further study can lead to accreditation as an animal behaviour therapist, or laboratory animal care technician.

So actually AP is talking out of his backside! The course taught him nothing about being any kind of behaviourist/trainer. It is also obvious from his posts that it is dumbed down regarding basic qualifications in 'welfare' not to mention use of language!

rune
That is unfair and selective rune. Your link also says:

This course gives you the tools to work in the areas of animal welfare, training & management. These can be applied to work with pet, farm, laboratory or zoo animals; & can also be applied to wild animal conservation. Further study can lead to accreditation as an animal behaviour therapist, or laboratory animal care technician.

this states the course does give you the tools in work in areas of training and to the best of my knowledge accreditation to any of the recognised behavioural organisations would require "further study" as, while not all require a degree, they all require evidence of study and application of practical experience, before or after the course.

I have not been a member of this forum for long and I may be risking myself unpopular saying this but as a general comment, not directed to any one person,I understood it was against the posting guidelines to make personal attacks on other forum members:

1) Dedicated sections

One of our biggest challenges was to create a community where people from all different dog backgrounds could join in, and get along. One way we have done this is to not allow ‘anti’ or ‘bashing’ type postings - in other words people should articulate their points of view without getting personal, abusive or aggresive. After all, we aim to build a friendly community, not breed a fighting ground.

but I have noticed this appears to sometimes be overlooked in some threads where certain posters, or topics, or unpopular views are concerned.

Hopefully we can all learn from debate, even if it is about testing out own views and confirming them, and we can "ignore" posters whose views we will never agree with but attacking differing views intimidates debate and does not create a friendly atmosphere.

Sorry for this off topic post but I would feel I was being a coward if I didn't say something against what seems from the outside to come close to ganging up on someone.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Well since the course might have TRIED to give AP the tools to work in animal welfare it still managed to fail----unless you think that putting a couple of shock coallars on a dog is acceptable in terms of welfare?

I was not selective in that it specifically says you need further study to be accredited as a behaviourist---not that you just need to join an organisation!

rune
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Well since the course might have TRIED to give AP the tools to work in animal welfare it still managed to fail----unless you think that putting a couple of shock coallars on a dog is acceptable in terms of welfare?

I was not selective in that it specifically says you need further study to be accredited as a behaviourist---not that you just need to join an organisation!

rune
For the record I do not agree with the way Adam uses collars, but then nor do I agree with using emetics on dogs which can also be highly risky in behavioural and medical terms, but as far as the course you linked to is concerned, how will you be accredited without joining an organisation? Who would be accrediting you?

Which reputable organisation could you be accredited by without any further study?

They would be misrepresenting the course if they implied it was sufficient, in and by itself, to accredit anyone as a trainer or behaviourist. This is standard language for giving realistic expectations for the outcome of such a course.

As far as I am aware, even those courses involving practical training would not get you accreditations, by themselves, without you having done further study elsewhere. Study does not have to be book-based as practical work also involves learning and study. Likewise some organisations require you to have done a number of behavioural consultations, under approved supervisors for the practical part of your application.

Are you aware of any other BSc (Hons) courses that do promise you will be automatically accredited as a behaviourist, by an independent reputable organisation, without any additional requirements, at the conclusion of the course?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Southampton.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Accreditation! Misleading.

Accreditation of a degree course is just that. A degree that has been accredited educationally by the university concerned (or the partner university) so, in effect, if you have a BSc you have passed a degree (level 6 accreditation) that is recognised at that educational level.

Accreditation is usually thought of in terms of education. Unrecognised accreditation by a body or organisation gives no recognised guarantee of the quality of that education.

As to whether accreditation at BSc level gives credibility in the field of canine behaviour/training - that would depend on the BSc in question. A degree in chemistry for instance would be useless. A degree in animal behaviour and welfare will touch (I assume) on canine behaviour and training, but is more likely to give a broad view on all animal behaviour.

This type of degree is usually more useful in respect of the farming industry (best conditions lead to more commerciability), or zoos (etc) for optimum conditions for wild animals kept in captivity and, of course, conservation projects where wild animals are reared with the ulitmate aim of repopulating dwindling numbers or reintroduction of extinct species into the wild for recolonisation
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Southampton.

rune
Southampton run a diploma, which can be raised to an MSc if someone is accepted to do a further year's course, which is not automatic.

Students are eligible to apply for this MSc programme, provided they :

have completed the University of Southampton PG Diploma in Companion Animal Behaviour Counselling to a satisfactory standard (usually with an overall grade of 60%) or
have completed to a satisfactory standard another approved course.
There is no automatic progression from the Postgraduate Diploma in Companion Animal Behaviour Counselling to the MSc Programme. Students meeting the above entrance requirements are then eligible to apply to the MSc programme. (Note that the PG Diploma was offered for the last time in 2010/11.)

It is not a BSc(Hons) course which I believe I stipulated in my question, for comparison with the course you linked, and even with the Southampton course (which is favoured for acceptance by the APBC and the ASAB register, as their members largely set it up and run it), there was still a requirement to complete and prove a year's practical experience with a minimum number of behavioural consultations for full membership of APBC, and three year's proven experience with references etc for full CCAB recognition.

Although there are some case studies looked at in the course, these accreditations are not awarded for completion of the course alone, in isolation to any additional practical experience.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 06:07 PM
LOL---hair splitting.

Fact remains that AP's course did NOT qualify him to do what he is doing. It actually says he needs extra accreditation to do it. Wonder where he stands insurance wise under those circumstances?

And YES----I am VERY against what he preaches on behalf of the two louts he reveres.

rune
Page 13 of 14 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 >