Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
flea and tick preventitive?
Well that'll stop the house smelling LOL.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune
No, but it might make your dog feel a bit more "comfortable"
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 05:48 PM
I think that to equate flea treatment with having to cream your dog is a bit daft actually.

What this thread has proved beyond doubt is that the KC have a hell of a job on trying to sort out the mess they created.

rune
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 05:50 PM

rune
think you will find i havent written anything about a house smelling because a dog is bathed.

however people keep saying "so you use cream to make the dog more comfortable" so cream is artificial, it maked the dog "comfortable" so a flea preventitive is artificial, would you not argue it makes your dog more comfortable, rather than having fleas crawling on it?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 05:50 PM
This is from Our dogs which has the open letter KC reply and a bit from our friend Jemma

THE RSPCA has struck once again around dfs Crufts, this time in the form of an open letter to the Kennel Club’s Chief Executive, Rosemary Smart.
Despite a very successful show, with more emphasis than ever on the KC’s stance on canine health and welfare, the RSPCA’s Chief Executive, Mark Watts, wrote to Ms Smart expressing his concern at the appearance of some exhibits and his ‘dismay’ at the coverage of the show.
Despite the fact that Mr Watts was not seen at the show, his letter expressed the RSPCA’s ‘grave concern’ about the coverage of Crufts on the TV channel More 4 during which interviewees and presenters, he claimed, ‘repeatedly gave the message that pedigree dogs, including those shown at Crufts, are happy and healthy’.
The open letter, dated March 15, reads as follows: ‘Open letter to Kennel Club chief executive Rosemary Smart. I am writing to express the RSPCA’s grave concern about the coverage of Crufts on More 4 during which interviewees and presenters repeatedly gave the message that pedigree dogs, including those shown at Crufts, are happy and healthy.
‘This is misleading to the public and extremely disappointing as we had hoped the coverage would be open and honest about the serious health and welfare issues that continue to affect many pedigree dogs, without glossing over the issues. After all, this is one of the biggest challenges facing dog welfare in the UK today.
‘Many pedigree dogs remain vulnerable to unnecessary disease, disability, pain or behavioural problems because they’re bred primarily for how they look rather than with health, welfare or temperament in mind.
‘Indeed, footage of some of the dogs at Crufts this year demonstrated the exaggerated features that we are so concerned about. As just one example, during the judging of the Working Group the commentators said that a dog was free from exaggerations. The dog in question clearly had extremely folded skin and drooping eyelids, which can lead to suffering.
‘Three reports on the welfare problems associated with dog breeding have been published in the UK in the last two years, and the conclusions of each are very clear – urgent action is needed to safeguard the welfare of pedigree dogs.

Not enough

‘Although some progress has been made by the world of dogs, it has not been nearly enough and the problems are far from being solved. Both experts and the various reports on this issue recognise that it will take decades before the problems really begin to be resolved – and only then if sufficient effort is made by everyone in the dog world.
‘It is extremely misleading to suggest not only that the problems have been solved after only two years, but that pedigree dogs are happy and healthy.’
‘Yours sincerely, Mark Watts, Chief Executive, RSPCA, Wilberforce Way, Southwater, Horsham, West Sussex, RH13 9RS.’
However, the Kennel Club hit back and expressed its ‘extreme disappointment’ at the stance and tone adopted by the RSPCA before, during and after the show.
In a statement in response to the allegations, Caroline Kisko said: ‘Had the society actually attended dfs Crufts or consulted the Kennel Club, they might have been more aware of the initiatives and investment being made by breeders and the Kennel Club so as to ensure the future health of dogs. They would also have seen with their own eyes the thousands of healthy dogs enjoying a day out with their owners.
‘It is events such as dfs Crufts that give us all an opportunity to move breeds forward by rewarding healthy dogs in the show ring. It is also a chance to educate people about how to buy a healthy puppy from a responsible breeder. We are heartened by the general positivity surrounding this year's event and the fact that so many charities, veterinary organisations and geneticists were on hand to help the Kennel Club to get their messages across. Of course we are well aware that there are issues which remain to be addressed in the world of pedigree dogs – responsible breeders and the Kennel Club have these well in hand and it is of course accepted that they will take time to be resolved.
Kennel Club Chairman Ronnie Irving said: ‘I have asked for an urgent meeting with the Chairman of the RSPCA to update them and the RSPCA Chief Executive on all of the current KC and breeder initiatives. I wish also to give them the opportunity to offer their suggestions as to what positive moves they think that we and dog breeders should be taking that we are not currently taking. As a breeder of Border Terriers I very much deplore the sweeping nature of the RSPCA's statements over the week of Crufts, and I will look forward to discussing those in detail with the RSPCA Chairman.’
Dave Cavill, well known breeder of Finnish Spitz and someone who was actually at the show from Wednesday to the BIS on Sunday night told OUR DOGS, ‘Of course, I realise that this release is just to gain publicity for the RSPCA's view but I would suggest that as a responsible organisation they should at least give a balanced summary of the situation. For many years the RSPCA attended Crufts and throughout that time I do not remember any of these points being made about the BBC coverage when exaggerations were more extreme than they are now. As I remember, the focus at that time was on the number of dogs being killed and certainly not whether they were unhealthy.
He responded immediately in writing to the RSPCA and commented on this sentence: ‘Many pedigree dogs remain vulnerable to unnecessary disease, disability, pain or behavioural problems because they’re bred primarily for how they look rather than with health, welfare or temperament in mind.’
Dave Cavill wrote: ‘It is true that some dogs remain vulnerable but I spent four days at Crufts along with many colleagues and I can honestly say that we saw no dogs who exhibited the characteristics that you express in this sentence. You may not be aware that several years ago the Kennel Club brought in a regulation which immediately bans both a dog and its progeny from being shown should its temperament be such that it is dangerous. There certainly are dangerous dogs but the vast majority are not pedigree dogs and it is clearly not fair to tar all pedigree dogs with that particular brush. How could More 4 focus on bad temperament, stress and disease if it was not evident?’
He concluded. I put it to you that it is extremely misleading (for you) to suggest that pedigree dogs are, as a group, not happy and healthy. Crufts shows plenty of evidence that most pedigree dogs certainly are.

Negative

Vince Hogan, speaking for OUR DOGS said, ‘Everyone we have spoken to enjoyed the show and, like Dave, we witnessed thousands of happy healthy dogs close up. We supported the YKC, the Inter Regional Obedience and the Breeders group Competition so we saw first hand every dog in tip top condition. I was staggered to see this letter from someone who clearly has no first hand knowledge of the show and seems to me like he is being fed sound bites that were last uttered by the RSPCA’s previous Chief Vet. When will their negative approach end? It makes you wonder who are the extremists here!
‘Almost 140,000 people came and enjoyed the show and were educated in the process. In our view there are few if any breeders who would not breed for the most healthy stock, it’s only logical. Look at the final line up of terrific dogs with the overall winner topping nine years of age and in marvellous condition”
‘I hope breeders will find this latest outburst as offensive as we do and that they will make their feelings known to the Society.’
It is known that Mr Watts comes from a financial background as opposed to one grounded in animal husbandry. and does not have veterinary training. He came through the ranks of the RSPCA and in 2008 was made chief executive after serving the charity for 28 years. He joined as chief accountant in 1980 and has most recently overseen the charity's financial and technology planning as director of corporate services before taking over as Chief Executive.
Not withstanding the RSPCA’s negative approach, Jemima Harrison, who produced the programme Pedigree Dogs Exposed, also used her blog to comment on the show. In an editorial piece, Ms Harrison described Neapolitan Mastiffs as ‘mutants’ and a BOB winner in Gundogs as ‘eye wateringly inbred.’
Her blog goes on to suggest that the KC ban the Neapolitan Mastiff, or 'de-register' the breed. Described on her website as cruelty to dogs, she said that by giving the Neapolitan KC registration would simply legitimise the suffering. Including several pictures of the main winners, Harrison went on to state that eye problems were only one area of concern, and that the breed should be banned from showing until further checks had been carried out.
In addition, Harrison described the BOB English Setter winner as ‘highly-rated’ but goes on to say that she is also ‘eye-wateringly inbred’ with a ‘co-efficient of inbreeding of 34.9 per cent (8 gens) against a breed mean of 12.7 per cent.
‘Just to put that in perspective’, said Ms Harrison, ‘a mother/son or full brother/sister mating would produce a dog with a COI of 25 per cent. So this girl really is keeping it in the family!’ Later on in the blog, the bitch is described by Harrison as ‘dim-witted”
This is yet another statement that is bound to upset breeders, particularly as it comes hot on the heels of Harrison’s statements about the UK’s top winning Shar Pei: statements that were subsequently refuted and proved to be wrong by the Shar Pei’s owners. In addition, minutes of a meeting with APGAW concerning comments about the well known dog were allegedly changed at Ms Harrisons request, after proof was submitted which showed that her comments were actually untrue.
Dawes Paws
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Snoringbear View Post
What Neos used to look like:

http://retrieverman.wordpress.com/20...-to-look-like/

and some more:

http://midgardkennels.wordpress.com/1156-2/
thats interesting they look a LOT like the Cane Corso!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-03-2011, 10:12 AM
I think that to equate flea treatment with having to cream your dog is a bit daft actually.What this thread has proved beyond doubt is that the KC have a hell of a job on trying to sort out the mess they created.

rune
Yes it is, thats the whole point, just carrying on the daftness of your focus on a dog being moisturized now and again.

In the great scheme of things regarding dog welfare, rubbing a bit of moisturizer on a dog now and again, is the least of worries.:
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2011, 10:50 AM
It is symptomatic of a particular mind set.

Which comes out very clearly in this thread.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

19-03-2011, 11:04 AM

rune
Isn't that the truth, a mind set , that has blinkers firmly attached
crestnut
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2011, 04:27 PM

rune
Page 13 of 13 « First < 3 10 11 12 13