Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by spettadog View Post
Nobody, but nobody, will convince me that breeders dont make a profit from the litters they breed. Now, I am not saying that is wrong because obviousy there is the need to have healthy puppies born that will widen the gene pool. My comment is not made purely on speculation. You dont know anything about me so why would you say that?
Regardless of the people you know, or what they have told you, you have never personally had the experience AND expense of breeding, therefore it is speculation.

I hope I have made my position clear and set out the fact that I am no novice in the dog world and dont like to be talked to as if I am!!!
No one spoke to you like that !

But just for the record, as I HAVE bred a litter and AM aware of the expenses Personally (not from hearsay), I don't like being spoken to as if I am lying when I say I never made a profit !
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Well it's you and me both then Malady!
Becky
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Hi there

What do you mean that I cant be convinced about extra costs? I am putting forward the case that showing and working your dog is a hobby and I, personally, wouldnt add these costs to the cost of a litter of puppies because I would be doing that anyway.

What additional costs are involved? I know all about health checks etc., and these are not cheap but you cant say that selling 12 puppies at £1000 would not more than cover any costs.

I know of one person who has about 3 or 4 litters a year. She is probably classed as a PF and I tend to agree with that. However, she does all the health tests, she shows her dogs etc., but she admits that she uses the money to fund her dogs as her OH wont give her any money to fund them. So, she must be making a profit if it funds all her shows etc., She goes to loads of them.

As I have said before, as long as the dog is a fine example of the breed with super temperament and healthy then I see nothing wrong with breeding the dog. If you can give me a breakdown on what it actually costs to have a litter then that will be a better argument rather than taking into account the cost of shows etc., which you would presumably be going to anyway.

I hope this makes sense!!

Kind regards
Spettadog
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:24 PM
The breeds I have bred have nowhere near 12 puppies a litter, my last litter was a total of 2 and I kept one (obviously) so tell me how I can make a profit.
I'm also importing dogs so far at a cost of £6,000 you probably wouldn't consider that to be 'legitimate' costs, I doubt very much that I'll ever breed enough to make that back unless my girls start having huge litters!
Becky
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:25 PM
They often say attack is the best form of defense!!! Two against one - yes that's fair!!!! LOL.

Spettadog
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:28 PM
They often say attack is the best form of defense!!! Two against one - yes that's fair!!!! LOL.

Spettadog
Welcome to my world I usually have far more than 2!
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Hi Malhooli

If you care to look at my post I put in an average of 8. Of course people that have breeds that dont have large litters dont make a profit and they do it for the love of the breed. I also never mentioned costs of importing dogs. I know that importing a dog is expensive. I am probably going to do that next year. I would say that would be a legitimate cost. I am talking about showing and working your dog. I never mentioned importing because that wasnt stated. If it had been then I would have said that was a legitimate cost. Not everybody imports though, lets be honest!!! When you are talking about litters of 8+ then you cant convince me that people dont make something from it without using an imported dog!!!!

Does that make things clear enough!!!!

Spettadog
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Anyway, sorry OP this has been taken off-topic. My apologies. I have answered in my original post though.

Kind regards
Spettadog
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:41 PM

Spettadog
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you first said you read the whole thread, then replied by saying that after reading it all you still didn't believe that breeders don't make a profit...... WHO was attacking ?

Yes showing and working are hobbies. But there is far more too it. If you show as a hobby you dont spend a fortune travelling the length of the Country to important shows, and spend a fortune on everything else that goes with it and preparing for a litter.

The preparation alone can be extremely costly, before the litter even arrives.

What about those that spend a fortune on new lines, on research, on imports etc to breed from, to improve the breed etc.

I suppose you deem that a hobby too ? Of course not. It's costly, ALL of it.

And hearsay from people you show with, will never give you a true indication of what's involved.
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you first said you read the whole thread, then replied by saying that after reading it all you still didn't believe that breeders don't make a profit...... WHO was attacking ?

Nobody. It was merely my opinion. I wasnt attacking anybody, just making a statement.

Yes showing and working are hobbies. But there is far more too it. If you show as a hobby you dont spend a fortune travelling the length of the Country to important shows, and spend a fortune on everything else that goes with it and preparing for a litter.

People that show do tend to travel the length of the country. Just like people who work their dogs will travel to and from field/working trials.

The preparation alone can be extremely costly, before the litter even arrives.

In what way? What costs are involved, apart from the health tests? I am not being cheeky. I am asking because I want to know what is involved.

What about those that spend a fortune on new lines, on research, on imports etc to breed from, to improve the breed etc.

I have answered that in a post above. Who's speculating now?

I suppose you deem that a hobby too ? Of course not. It's costly, ALL of it.

Again, answered in a post above.

And hearsay from people you show with, will never give you a true indication of what's involved.

I know all I need to know thank you very much. I dont have to explain my circumstances to you, suffice to say, I would not make a statement if I didnt know it to be the case. You may not have made a profit but there are plenty of reputable breeders that do!!
I trust this is the end of this discussion as you have taken it completely off topic. I personally do not want to hijack somebody else's post trying to justify myself to you.
Page 12 of 15 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >