View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-05-2012, 06:51 PM
We're having no luck in our search. Even deciding that colour and sex don't matter isn't helping.

I'm advised NOT to buy from anyone advertising anywhere and to only buy from club members but there's very little available for around July time. Some people have puppies due around that time but I'm finding that as I did with tortoises that dog breeders are also very picky and it's like having a door slammed in your face. I always tell them why we'd like one and what research we've done etc but it seems they're not liking something I'm saying.

If I ignore the advice I'm given and try contacting people who are advertising they pick and choose any questions I may have asked and I'm left feeling unsatisfied with the replies. Only one person has replied so far with a decent reply but they don't believe in the scoring system but everyone bangs on about how important it is.

I never thought it would be this difficult to find a dog. Is this the norm or should I be taking it as a sign that it's just not meant to be?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 07:02 PM
You will just have to research more
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-05-2012, 07:06 PM
research more what?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 07:12 PM
More breeders, and have patience, sometimes you have to wait for what you want......................
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Perhaps post a thread on here asking about lab breeders so people on here can give pointers as to which breeder they used.

I will probably get shot down here but I researched buhunds also online and even went to visit puppies from a breeder listed online. I didn't end up going for one but the breeder was nice, showed her dogs and had done all health tests.

If the breeder shows or works their dogs, have health tests and all other things that demonstrate a good breeder then it's perhaps worth looking in to?
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2012, 01:41 PM
After much searching and lots of questions we've finally found a "breeder" that we're happy with. I say "breeder" because that's not what they class themselves as, it's just something they do now and again. They own the mother and both parents are pedigree. We can choose at around 5 weeks of age (they will let us know exactly) and take home at 8 weeks.

I know one of the rules is don't give deposits but they were asking £50 and that's what we've done. We've got pick of the litter which is 3 bitches and 5 dogs, however they're keeping a bitch and they believe the owners of the father also want a bitch.

I've had extensive Q&A with them online and spoken to them on the phone and they come across as very genuine and they care where their puppies are going to, rather than just how much money they are making as some other people I've spoken to do.

I'll be completely honest and say we are breaking 2 rules. The parents haven't been scored, however neither them nor their siblings have ever had any problems. A few other people selling labrador pups haven't scored the parents either, I guess it's a money and time thing. I know it's supposed to be very important but someone has to give those puppies a home regardless of their parents scores.

The 2nd rule we've broken is that they're not going to be KC registered. The reason being is that the people who buy from them want them either as working dogs or family pets, they don't show them or anything like that. This doesn't bother us, we have no intention of showing them or even breeding.

So there we go, please don't have a go at me for the above. This isn't a spur of the moment or a last resort, we've asked a load of questions over the past few weeks to this person and our gut feeling is that this is the person we're happy buying from. I haven't checked the date exactly but 8 weeks falls around mid July.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Hope your paying pet prices ...
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Not sure what you mean?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-06-2012, 01:55 PM
A kc registered pup from tested parents will usually be more expensive that a pet breed pup...
S6754
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2012, 01:57 PM
oh right, yes then. Bitches are £350 and dogs £325. Price hasn't been a factor for us, the first breeder we had our name down with was asking £650.
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 >