Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I'd say a fence being secure as a fence and a fence being dog-proof are two different things. Our neighbours are fantastic but I'd never have dreamt of going to the one on the right (I forget which way round it is on our deeds and can't be bothered to check) and saying "we're going to get a dog- please make your fence stronger to stop a marauding mutt battering it down." The choice to get the dog was ours - why would our neighbours be responsible for suddenly upping the fence security?!
I have to agree with this. As far as I'm concerned it's up to the dogs owner to make sure their dog isn't able to get through the fence. We weren't allowed to do anything with the fencing in Ireland therefore Rupe, who could easily have jumped the 3ft wire fence, was kept on a line. When my neighbours got a puppy THEY put planks across the hole the pup could just about squeeze through to get into our garden.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I haven't seen a single person say anything even remotely resembling this Most of us do our best to ensure it DOESN'T happen.

Glad I am not the only one who appears to have "overlooked" such posts!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am not sure where you pluck out the information upon which you base your posts, it certainly is not from posts on this thread.

I have read reasonable posts by reasonable people debating the pros and cons of the original issue and methods by which a similar situation could be avoided.

Perhaps if you spent less time manufacturing underhand motives for posters which are entirely baseless and more time on actually reading, digesting and considering the balanced views expressed your posts would be the same!
Well it's funny because I'm not the only one who's commented on the "just a cat" mentality on this thread.

It's also interesting how, yet again, you just launch into personal attacks on people - and try to negate it with the usual rolly eyes smiley. But then again - no one's ever allowed a different opinion are they?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
I actually believe the fence on the right side of the garden is actually the neighbours responsibility?
I can hardly believe you posted that! For one thing if that is the case the neighbour has a very good case to take them to court for their dog DAMAGING their property! For another there is no law that I know of that says a NEIGHBOUR'S FENCE has to be strong enough to keep YOUR DOG out of their garden!

The onus is on the dog owner to make sure the dog cannot get out. Whether that be by constructing some other sort of fence INSIDE of the neighbour's fence, or restraining it in some other way.

Gawd - talk about how to get on with your neighbours! You don't want my dog in your yard - well tough - better build a stronger fence then
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Well it's funny because I'm not the only one who's commented on the "just a cat" mentality on this thread.

It's also interesting how, yet again, you just launch into personal attacks on people - and try to negate it with the usual rolly eyes smiley. But then again - no one's ever allowed a different opinion are they?
Glad I am not the only one that sees this.......
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I can hardly believe you posted that! For one thing if that is the case the neighbour has a very good case to take them to court for their dog DAMAGING their property! For another there is no law that I know of that says a NEIGHBOUR'S FENCE has to be strong enough to keep YOUR DOG out of their garden!

The onus is on the dog owner to make sure the dog cannot get out. Whether that be by constructing some other sort of fence INSIDE of the neighbour's fence, or restraining it in some other way.

Gawd - talk about how to get on with your neighbours! You don't want my dog in your yard - well tough - better build a stronger fence then
ITS NOT MY DOG.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Marchhound are you seriously suggesting with your post about whose 'responsibility' the fence is - that the onus is on a dog owner's neighbours to stop that dog getting into adjoining premises?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 09:04 AM

I am afraid YOU are the one launching personal attacks yet again.

Ps perhaps you had better acquaint yourself with the emoticon in question, it reflect a person rolling their eyes and thus "negates" nothing!

I cannot see anywhere where I have said people are not allowed opinions dear, is that yet another flight of your imagination. ?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 09:05 AM

preciseley.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Marchhound are you seriously suggesting with your post about whose 'responsibility' the fence is - that the onus is on a dog owner's neighbours to stop that dog getting into adjoining premises?
No. But the neighbour should also be checking the fence. Until the other day, the fence was stable and strong. There was no warning that the dog would chew through it, or even wanted to.

Now that it is weak, the neighbour should replace it. Any further dogproofing should be done by the owner.
Page 12 of 30 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »