View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Just to add that Cain really got into his antler last night and (see photo above) chewed a good inch or so off, removing one side of the V shape. I think it must have been softened just enough to make it comfortable to chew. So if you're dog has lost interest, do try the soaking trick
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 08:54 AM
I loved the look of these when I saw them in one of the monthly dog mags. I am definitely going to order some for my lot, especially after hearing about all these happy antler chewing Dogsey dogs However, Yogi is currently chomping happily on a tup's horn (for free) ... so perhaps I will treat them for Christmas instead
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 08:59 AM
We have them all over the place in various stages of eatenness---they often chew on them.

Great value for us and we have more coming in August.

rune
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Well, they're certainly long lasting treats, about 6 months on and they're still only about 1/3-1/2 chewed They seem to go through phases of loving them and having a real good chew, and then just ignoring them. I just leave them down now as I have no issues with my two guarding resources, nor will they get through them fast enough to choke on the last bit, and it just gives them the choice to chew them if they want. Sometimes I soak them in water for a while and this can regain their interest, and none have gone mouldy from doing this. Interestingly I've got three that are all different shapes but there's a definate favourite, the longest thinnest one of the long - the short one with two side branches gets ignored a lot, and the one with one small side branch has finally had the branch chewed off. Can't say I'd rush out to buy more when these ones are finally done, but my mum's pup does love hers! It's funny because she's 1/4 of the size of my dogs yet ended up with nearly the same size antler as the company sent me the size up from what I ordered, yet she's chewed a lot more off it than my two's combined efforts! Seems a bit like marmite, love it or hate it.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 11:12 AM
I found a whole fallow deer antler the other day. The dogs were certainly interested but werent interested in chewing it. I did contemplate sawing it up for them but I decided i'd rather have the antler as an ornament!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the soaking idea, coz mine have been ignored for a while, but when I chuck them on the rug in the evenings, Zena sometimes takes another interest in one of them after I filed it a bit with my nail file.

We're into the bully sticks here, but they're far too small and gone too quickly, and Georgie has to start them off for Zena otherwise she's not interested. I've found some larger ones on Zooplus which are 18.5cms long and thicker, so hopefully they might last longer than 5 mins. Can I buy some really big ones from somewhere please? I don't like that last 2", I just have to take them off them!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Cain's ignored his for ages and then willl suddent pick it up and chew it for ages. I was tyring to source antlers through venison farms but they've all proved useless at responding I think I'll just buy him another Stag Bar as he only chews it intermittenly so I rarely have to buy them, but he chews enough that I want him to have it.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 11:22 AM
A petshop near me sells long pizzle, about 2.5-3' long. Can try to find out the brand if you like, so you can see if local petshops can order them in for you
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 11:24 AM
3 foot long???? Surely not!!!>?? That'd be fantastic for my two if you can please!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I have looked at them and thought poor cows before I presume they're stretched before drying though..

Edit: Zooplus do 80cm length ones, just remembered
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d.../pizzle/128918
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 >