Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Where they collies? I only ask as you have them ive known two deaf collies, both were white & one there was a question as to whether she was all collie - she was certainly clever enough . She was deaf in one ear & partially in the other although you would never
have known it

Second was blue eyed white collie, nervous little dog except with her owner & then she was 100% totally focused on
him. Then it could be said of a lot of dogs, bit nervy when owner out of sight.

Did your friend find homes for her deaf pups?
Yes collies, my friend did have homes, but she decided to keep them herself, as she has a biggish pack & tons of room herself
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Where they collies? I only ask as you have them ive known two deaf collies, both were white & one there was a question as to whether she was all collie - she was certainly clever enough . She was deaf in one ear & partially in the other although you would never
have known it

Second was blue eyed white collie, nervous little dog except with her owner & then she was 100% totally focused on
him. Then it could be said of a lot of dogs, bit nervy when owner out of sight.

Did your friend find homes for her deaf pups?
When I had Siren hearing tested, I was told that deafness is more prevalent in BCs than any other breed. (Which I did not realise)
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
When I had Siren hearing tested, I was told that deafness is more prevalent in BCs than any other breed. (Which I did not realise)
prob cos theres soooooo many of them lol.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
prob cos theres soooooo many of them lol.
Possibly more that are BAER tested...I did think it was more prevalent in Dalmatians.
The lady was actually doing a study on it at the time.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Possibly more that are BAER tested...I did think it was more prevalent in Dalmatians.
The lady was actually doing a study on it at the time.
really?

all of the deaf dogs i have known(not a huge amount) have been collies or collie crosses stands to reason doesnt it? coat colours and wall eyes etc
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Where i would have thought it was English bull terriers.
I mean deaf pups to number of pups born ..
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Whatever the breed, it's all down to the same reason - white spotting patterns.

White Boxers and EBTs are white because they are a marked dog which is born without any markings, if that makes sense.

In order for the inner mechanism of the ear to function properly during development, there has to be some pigment (Melanin) present. If a white patch rather than a black patch falls over the ear in the developing embryo, the dog will be deaf on that side. Sometimes the patch will be so small it can't be seen but is enough - and vice versa, sometimes a coloured patch in the ear is too small to be seen but gives the melanin required for normal hearing.

This is also true for Dalmatians and BCs. And is also the reason why many white cats are deaf - although that's down to a different gene that suppresses all pigment, but the reason for the deafness is the same. It is also true for the Black-Eyed White variety of fancy rat, which is also a marked rat without any markings.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Yes collies, my friend did have homes, but she decided to keep them herself, as she has a biggish pack & tons of room herself
Thats lovely
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Whatever the breed, it's all down to the same reason - white spotting patterns.

White Boxers and EBTs are white because they are a marked dog which is born without any markings, if that makes sense.

In order for the inner mechanism of the ear to function properly during development, there has to be some pigment (Melanin) present. If a white patch rather than a black patch falls over the ear in the developing embryo, the dog will be deaf on that side. Sometimes the patch will be so small it can't be seen but is enough - and vice versa, sometimes a coloured patch in the ear is too small to be seen but gives the melanin required for normal hearing.

This is also true for Dalmatians and BCs. And is also the reason why many white cats are deaf - although that's down to a different gene that suppresses all pigment, but the reason for the deafness is the same. It is also true for the Black-Eyed White variety of fancy rat, which is also a marked rat without any markings.
Ive heard something similar over the years. Also heard that a white dog that has any coloured patches willl be hearing even if just spots or theres more chance of a blue eyed white male being deaf. Having said all that have known a couple of patched [or sometimes called checked] dogs being partially deaf in one ear, didnt know the dogs personally just heard about them.

To all intents and purposes our Harvey is a pure white dog, he has black spots on one ear flap and one tiny black mark on one of his hocks. Katie has a big dark brindle patch at the base of her tail - isnt dissimilar to a tear drop in shape
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Ive heard something similar over the years. Also heard that a white dog that has any coloured patches willl be hearing even if just spots or theres more chance of a blue eyed white male being deaf. Having said all that have known a couple of patched [or sometimes called checked] dogs being partially deaf in one ear, didnt know the dogs personally just heard about them.

To all intents and purposes our Harvey is a pure white dog, he has black spots on one ear flap and one tiny black mark on one of his hocks. Katie has a big dark brindle patch at the base of her tail - isnt dissimilar to a tear drop in shape
isnt it wall eyed and white
Page 12 of 27 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »