25-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
You can get full info regarding all relevent consultations from DEFRA

Mutilations and Tail Docking Consultation Responses
Animal Welfare Act Team, Area 506
1A Page Street
Westminster
London SW1P 4PQ

"The Information Resource Centre will supply copies of consultation responses to personal callers or in response to telephone or email requests (tel: 020 7238 6575, or email defra.library@defra.gsi.gov.uk). Wherever possible personal callers should give the library at least 24 hours’ notice of their requirements. An administrative charge will be made to cover photocopying and postage costs."

For quick reference, this is just one of the politicians involved, speaking in Parliament during the Bill process, from

http://www.publications.parliament.u...307-gc0002.htm

"The Countess of Mar: It might help the Committee if I say that I am going to object to the Docking of Working Dogs’ Tails (England) Regulations, and it might be better if we took that one separately.

The Countess of Mar: I declare my interest as an honorary associate of both the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and the British Veterinary Association. I have been, but am not currently, an owner of working dogs. I am speaking only to the Docking of Working Dogs’ Tails (England) Regulations 2007."
DEFRA has no jurisdiction in Scotland !!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by Nelson's Mum View Post
DEFRA has no jurisdiction in Scotland !!
Ooops, my apologies

Scotland info :

-------------------------------

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publicati...14155410/54199

Analysis of Responses to the Draft Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Bill Consultation

List of responders: organisations and businesses

Aberdeen & Northern Marts
Aberdeen City Council
Aberdeen Fatstock Association
ACPOS (Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland)
Advocates for Animals
Animal Concern
Animal Protection Agency
Anti-Docking Alliance
Association of Circus Proprietors of Great Britain
Association of Deer Management Groups
BASC Scotland (British Association for Shooting and Conservation)
Bellebriar Cocker Spaniels
BEVA (British Equine Veterinary Association)
Birds First
The Blue Cross
British & Irish Association of Zoos & Aquariums
British Deer Farmers' Association
British Deer Society
British Greyhound Racing Board
British Horse Society Scotland
British Rabbit Council
British Veterinary Association
Canine Concern Scotland Trust
Carmichael Estate Farm Meats
Cat Action Trust 1977
Central Scotland Police
The Clumber Spaniel Club
Comhairlie Nan Eilean Siar
CoSLA (Convention of Scottish Local Authorities)
Council of Docked Breeds
Deer Commission for Scotland
Dogs Trust
Dumfries & Galloway Canine Rescue
Dumfries & Galloway Council
Dumfriesshire Greyhound Rescue
Dundee City Council
East Ayrshire Council
East Ayrshire Council - Environmental Health
East Dunbartonshire Council
East Renfrewshire Council
Edinburgh City Council
Farm Animal Welfare Council ( FAWC)
The Farriers Registration Council
Federation of British Herpetologists, Reptile & Exotic
Pet Trade Association
Federation of Companion Animal Societies
Field Spaniel Society
Fife Council
The Game Conservancy Trust
The Game Farmers' Association
Glasgow City Council
Greyhound Awareness League
Greyhounds UK
The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association
The Highland Council
The Independent Weimaraner Rescue & Re-homing Service
Institute of Auctioneers & Appraisers in Scotland
International Fund for Animal Welfare
International League for the Protection of Horses
International Sheep Dog Society
The Kennel Club
The Law Society of Scotland
League Against Cruel Sports
Loch Ness Project
Lochindorb English Springers
Midlothian Council - Law and Administration
Midlothian Council - Environmental Health
Mossburn Community Farm
Muirfield Hatchery
National Animal Welfare Trust
National Council for Aviculture
National Museums of Scotland
The Norfolk Terrier Club of Great Britain
NFU Scotland (National Farmers' Union of Scotland)
Ornamental Aquatic Trade Association
OSCAR (Organisation to Save Cats at Risk)
Perth & Kinross Council
Pet Advisory Committee
Pet Care Trust
Poodle Club of Scotland
Quality Meat Scotland
Rare Breeds Survival Trust
RICS Scotland (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors in Scotland)
Robroyd Kennels
The Royal Society of Edinburgh
SAC (Scottish Agricultural College)
Seafish Legislation Expert Group
School of Law, Aberdeen University
Scottish Badgers
Scottish Countryside Alliance
Scottish Environment Protection Agency
Scottish Exotic Animal Society
Scottish Gamekeepers Association
Scottish Hawk Board
The Scottish Lizard Canary Association
Scottish Natural Heritage - 2 responses
Scottish Norwich Plainhead Canary Club
The Scottish Rabbit Club
Scottish Rural Property & Business Association
Shetland Sheep Society
Society for the Protection of Aviculture
South Lanarkshire Council
South of Scotland German Shepherd & All Breeds Training Club
Spoutwell Consultancy Ltd
Scottish SPCA (Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals)
The Shellfish Network
Teviot Scientific
Union of Country Sports Workers
United Kingdom Horse Shoers Union
Waterside Action Group ( WAG)
West Lothian Animal Rights & Veggies

----------------------------

http://www.publications.parliament.u...6/61206s01.htm

Public Bill Committee Debates

Draft Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006 (Consequential Provisions) (England and Wales) Order 2006

The Committee consisted of the following Members:
Chairman: Hugh Bayley
Barrett, John (Edinburgh, West) (LD)
Blackman, Liz (Erewash) (Lab)
Brown, Mr. Russell (Dumfries and Galloway) (Lab)
Cairns, David (Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Scotland)
Clelland, Mr. David (Tyne Bridge) (Lab)
Efford, Clive (Eltham) (Lab)
Ellman, Mrs. Louise (Liverpool, Riverside) (Lab/Co-op)
Goodwill, Mr. Robert (Scarborough and Whitby) (Con)
Liddell-Grainger, Mr. Ian (Bridgwater) (Con)
Main, Anne (St. Albans) (Con)
Mitchell, Mr. Austin (Great Grimsby) (Lab)
Mole, Chris (Ipswich) (Lab)
Moss, Mr. Malcolm (North-East Cambridgeshire) (Con)
Sheridan, Jim (Paisley and Renfrewshire, North) (Lab)
Swinson, Jo (East Dunbartonshire) (LD)
Williams, Mrs. Betty (Conwy) (Lab)
Wishart, Pete (Perth and North Perthshire) (SNP)
Alan Sandall, Committee Clerk

-------------------------------------

I`m still looking to see if there is a public record of who voted on docking specifically but will have to continue late tomorrow evening, [ out and about tomorrow ], but the above at least shows the consultations groups and the debate committee for now :smt001
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2007, 02:32 AM
OK. tell me why vets have continued the practice until april this year. vets swear an oath to alleviate animal suffering , if there was any doubt in a vets mind that he/she was causing unnecessary pain to a dog they would have stopped doing it years ago.
The vet I work for crops and docks to prevent the breeder/owner from taking a pair of scissors and doing the job themselves, putting the pup/dog at risk for infections and greater suffering. Thats one reason why they may have continued to do it.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2007, 05:45 AM
ramble- look at the post earlier today about the spaniel that has had 4 tail injuries.
Thats one Spaniel...
I asked if all undocked dogs would have tail injuries....

(I do of course, know that the answer is 'no' and that the statistics prove it).

My dog might trip up and hurt himself when running, or cut himself on barbed wire or glass..should I therefore have his leg amputated at birth 'just in case'.
My dog recently sustained a blow to his eye which was not only painful, but almost cost him his life, thankfully it didn't, but sadly he has lost the sight in it. Had we had his eye out at birth, we wouldn't have had the worry, he wouldn't have had the pain.....
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2007, 05:47 AM
I've stood and watched a vet amputate tails and dew claws on 11 puppies that were 3 days old, it was all over in less than 10 minuites, there was no whimpering or screaming, no blood, and the puppies were back with mum sucking away as if nothing had happened. if vets had any concern about it being cruel why have they continued the practice for years and years .
Vets were told not to do it years ago.
The sucking reflex is often an indication that the pups are in pain and distressed, they naturally go back to mum to suckle as it releases natural painkillers and stress relievers.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2007, 06:58 AM
the figures were 514,000 signatures for keeping docking. submitted to the SCOTTISH parliament. if in doubt,get in touch with the parliamentary liason officer at the SCOTTISH KENNEL CLUB. Note. we have our own government in scotland now, and the party that voted for a docking ban is no longer in office, they lost the election 3 weeks ago !!
You're the one making the statement, you back it up with evidence.
It is estimated that approximately 500,000 dogs are resident in Scotland. A proportion of those dogs will have anti docking owners, so tell me how can more people than dog owners vote for docking?
Becky
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2007, 07:16 AM
I've been watching this debate with interest, it doesn't effect me personally as I don't own a docked breed, but I love to read different views on these debates, it certainly opens ones eyes to various issues.

I will mention however, that my Irish Setter had to have a couple of inches of his tail amputated due purely to living in the home and wagging it constantly on doors and radiators. He had been on antibiotics for months to try to save it but the infection just wouldn't heal and there was a constant bloodbath and him crying when I tried to bathe it for him. I was dreading the op as I had heard horror stories but he sailed through it with no pain whatsoever, didn't even need the painkillers prescribed by the vet. This makes me personally think that it isn't necessary at birth as, if it turns out to be necessary in later life, it isn't as traumatic as people would have you believe, but thats just my opinion. I would state that the operation costs probably 20 times as much as you quote for docking one pup, maybe that is one factor.

I grew up with Cocker Spaniels which were customarily docked and I will possibly have another at some time in my life. It would certainly not bother me one iota if it had a tail, I love the Cockers for their happy nature, their beautiful looks and just because they are Cockers.

I just wondered why you want to be able to dock your pups, is it because you fear for their health or is it for cosmetic reasons or your freedom of choice? I couldn't make it out in your original post and I'm not trying to offend you, simply trying to understand other peoples reasons and opinions.
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I've been watching this debate with interest, it doesn't effect me personally as I don't own a docked breed, but I love to read different views on these debates, it certainly opens ones eyes to various issues.

I will mention however, that my Irish Setter had to have a couple of inches of his tail amputated due purely to living in the home and wagging it constantly on doors and radiators. He had been on antibiotics for months to try to save it but the infection just wouldn't heal and there was a constant bloodbath and him crying when I tried to bathe it for him. I was dreading the op as I had heard horror stories but he sailed through it with no pain whatsoever, didn't even need the painkillers prescribed by the vet. This makes me personally think that it isn't necessary at birth as, if it turns out to be necessary in later life, it isn't as traumatic as people would have you believe, but thats just my opinion. I would state that the operation costs probably 20 times as much as you quote for docking one pup, maybe that is one factor.

I grew up with Cocker Spaniels which were customarily docked and I will possibly have another at some time in my life. It would certainly not bother me one iota if it had a tail, I love the Cockers for their happy nature, their beautiful looks and just because they are Cockers.

I just wondered why you want to be able to dock your pups, is it because you fear for their health or is it for cosmetic reasons or your freedom of choice? I couldn't make it out in your original post and I'm not trying to offend you, simply trying to understand other peoples reasons and opinions.
i have owned dogs for 40 years , i've had 3 dobes,4 rotts,and a newfoundland (with a tail), if i thought for a second that tail docking was cruel or unnecessary i would never have it done again, my first post in this thread was about the kennel club going back on their word not to be policemen concerning the act. i have chosen not to show my dogs at any KC show again, if the KC looks at their stance on the act and modifies their rules to allow newly docked dogs in competition, i will stay away from dog shows,and i'm not alone in taking this stance, many serious breeders are dismayed about the whole situation and will perhaps discontinue breeding traditionally docked breeds,and that would be a great shame.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Ok, Im only going to add my little bit as Im feeling this thread is going abit one sided and it is supposed to be about personal opinions
Personally I am not against tail docking, there are alot worse things in the world going than docking a dogs tail
I think it should be down to personal choice, but now its banned theres not any choice anymore

And thats all I have to say on the matter
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2007, 08:07 AM
question debs ? have any of your dogs had tail injuries on rough ground ?
Nope, they've all been injured in the house.
oh! Apart from one Hamiltonstovare bitch who ended up with a 'dead tail' for a few days after being cannoned into from behind by another dog.

my first post in this thread was about the kennel club going back on their word not to be policemen concerning the act
By 'not policing' docking I read it as meaning they would not be policing breeders to see if they were docking illegally (and reporting them to the authorities). The fact that you cannot show a puppy docked after the cut off date has NOTHING to do with the KC. The HAD to make this rule as docking (unless with a letter from the vet saying they were going to working homes) is now ILLEGAL. What do you expect them to do? Openly support people who are breaking the law?

Debs
Page 12 of 30 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »