View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm off the fence for a minute as have just realised that I was frightened to give too much info in a thread asking for help because I was frightened that the ''usuals'' would accuse me of not being able to handle the breed, that my dog is aggressive and that I'm a crap owner as has been implied and suggested on numerous occasions.

How crap is that. That is not a good feeling for someone to have. I should be able to post a thread with all the information and ask for advice without this fear.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble
So it is ,I think, like everything in life, a balance...trying to treat people with respect, yet maintaining your own principles and ideals. It can be hard to do, but I think that the vast majority of people on here manage it.
Ramble I also think the majority of members contribute a lot to the site and do so politely and with good grace. When reading the negative comment of a couple of people one could be lead to believe the reverse is true, if this is the case why do those who complain so much about other members stay here. Could it be they have tried other sites and found the things they complain about here happen there too and doesn't that say a lot about them, their attitude and ability to get along with other people.
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm off the fence for a minute as have just realised that I was frightened to give too much info in a thread asking for help because I was frightened that the ''usuals'' would accuse me of not being able to handle the breed, that my dog is aggressive and that I'm a crap owner as has been implied and suggested on numerous occasions.

How crap is that. That is not a good feeling for someone to have. I should be able to post a thread with all the information and ask for advice without this fear.
Pidge I fear you are letting the negative comments of a couple of people unduly influence you. If you post a thread asking for help expect to get all kinds of replies some of which you may not like, it is up to you to decide which replies to take and which to dismiss. If you think someone has been rude to you report the post and Admin will look at all the factors and decide if any action is required.

Your comments sadden me because I think they do a disservice to the many people who have worked hard to build up this site and have put in countless hours of their time so that people like you have somewhere to seek advice and assurance about their dogs.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Not being rude but i think thats a very biased point of view - i would have thought you would be more neutral considering you are a moderator.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2009, 07:46 AM

Its a shame you feel that way about the way this forum runs.

Over the time you have been here you have asked and been given excellent advice , yes sometime sit is not what you want to hear.

But even when you have not liked the things people say, you cant get away from the fact , much of it has been invaluable to you.

I am not sure Pidge if this is a case of you being drawn into the negative attitude , of a few members , who at every opportunity spread negative vibes.

When this happens it spreads like wildfire, and newer members like yourself start to feel they cant contribute to the board , for fear of being shouted down.

If you lift the negative from your shoulders , you will see this board has a lot to offer, and has done for many yrs , with members who have been around for yrs... that in itself tells you something.

Not many boards keep long term members as much as this one does.

We see this surface from time to time... people who cant except others have different opinions and that opinions should not be voiced, then create smoke screens to cause unrest.

And as Minni says, one wonders if they ever settle in any kind of forum life.. as the core of it is to understand you will not always agree with others..

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Ramble I also think the majority of members contribute a lot to the site and do so politely and with good grace. When reading the negative comment of a couple of people one could be lead to believe the reverse is true, if this is the case why do those who complain so much about other members stay here. Could it be they have tried other sites and found the things they complain about here happen there too and doesn't that say a lot about them, their attitude and ability to get along with other people. .

It is extremely sad that as you say, the negative attitude from a few is sending out a not so nice impression.

It is even being given in introductions, warning people to avoid the nastiest on here.

I have yet to meet one of these nastiest who uses detrimental or insulting language..

But the same people are some of the most knowledgeable on here and if people take the time to research will see these same people have and do give the most help and advice when needed.

It is not the amount of posts you place, as it has been insinuated, but what goes into them.

Some long standing members who have a lot to contribute , do so when they feel the need, they dont have to answer every post to be considered active.

I think we need to shake off this negativity, and embrace the forum for what it is.. a hugely successful one, one that is not afraid to voice an opinion, but is always mindful of respect to others.

And that does not mean you cant have a heated debate, and disagree with other opinions.

What it means is that no matter how vehemently you disagree with another.. you remember to be civil, and not resort to playground behaviour.. throwing low punches , and personal insults.

We have survived for yrs without this attitude ,and we will overcome it now.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Firstof all I would like to say great posts to Mini and Jackbox. I totally agree.

Pidge, you have posted lots of threads asking for opinions/advice and you have got just that...hopefully some of the advice has really helped you.
Whenever you post a thread you are opening yourself up to the opinions of everyone on here/the internet...not just people who agree with you. As Mini says, listen to the bits you agree with. I have also said that to you in the past. Everyone on here has been in your shoes at some point...not everyone agrees all the time, that's life isn't it? Brush yourself off and post what you want to post about. You will get many different people replying, but surely the negative comments will be more than balanced by the helpful ones?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Blimey, we don't need to be so dramatic about it, lifitng the negative from our shoulders etc.

All I'm saying is that in spite of the excellent advice I have been given and the great friends I have on here there is a thought in the back of my mind, following a few posters that has made me cautious about posting anything to do with my dog's behaviour as I keep getting these ridiculous comments. That isn't criticising the nice ones, that's explaining how the bad ones have made me feel and others on here from what I've heard.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Blimey, we don't need to be so dramatic about it, lifitng the negative from our shoulders etc.

All I'm saying is that in spite of the excellent advice I have been given and the great friends I have on here there is a thought in the back of my mind, following a few posters that has made me cautious about posting anything to do with my dog's behaviour as I keep getting these ridiculous comments. That isn't criticising the nice ones, that's explaining how the bad ones have made me feel and others on here from what I've heard.
Pidge, I think people were trying to help.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 08:08 AM
Why do I need help?

I'm fine (I've even made the post) all I'm saying is how I've felt about posting on here about my dog problems. I'll do it, but the thought is always in the back of my mind. It's no biggey, but deserves pointing out.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 08:08 AM

I think if I was in the situation I would PM the people who I trust to help and not judge. Everyone will have problems with thier dogs at some point - whether it was a past dog they learnt from or a present one.

When you are a new owner it is very easy to try and listen to everyone - there is SO much conflicting advice not just on Dogsey but in 'real' life. It is far too easy to try and do everything and get confused.

Good luck with Woody
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 08:09 AM
You said you were 'frightened' to post. I think people were trying to make you feel better about that.
Page 12 of 32 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 > Last »