View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm pretty lenient when it comes to my girls, letting them sniff around & whatever but I will admit I have an classic type A Personality, I like to take charge esp with animals lol. I let my dogs me themselves but when it comes to obaying a direct order they'd better do it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 11:14 PM
That's so far from correct, I don't know where to begin. There is nothing, nowhere to suggest that they can smell fear. It's just this kind of outdated , folkloric misconceptions that have wrought so much suffering onto dogs.

Hmmm, that is not what was suggested on Extraordinary Dogs the other night..........
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2011, 07:43 AM
I wouldnt say they can smell fear necessarily, although it may be possible. Our sence of smell may not be able to pin point emotions, who knows for dogs. (Just a thought)

But they will certainly be able to read the body language imo.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
I wouldnt say they can smell fear necessarily, although it may be possible. Our sence of smell may not be able to pin point emotions, who knows for dogs. (Just a thought)

But they will certainly be able to read the body language imo.
agreed - unless you are wet yourself scared
I think dogs are just really good at reading bodylanguage and are curious if you are behaving in a way out of the ordanary - and are very good at filing away what the consiquences were last time your body language was that way

I guess its possible there is a change in scent - added hormones and sweat and stuff
But the body language changes (freezing, breathing changes, pupils changing) will be v obvious to a species so intune to that kind of thing
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 10:07 AM
So tell me, if dogs cannot detect fear, does this mean that ehy cannot smell any other emotion?

If so, I would be interested in understanding why Dog Appeasing Pheremones so popular?

Can someone explain how and why they work, because I am obviously under the wrong impression.................
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
So tell me, if dogs cannot detect fear, does this mean that ehy cannot smell any other emotion?

If so, I would be interested in understanding why Dog Appeasing Pheremones so popular?

Can someone explain how and why they work, because I am obviously under the wrong impression.................
sigh
Pheromones, a chemical secreted and detectable to members of the same species and can impact on the others behavior
fear - an emotion
yes there have been some studies to suggest there may be a human fear pheromone
I havent seen any to sugesst it works across species

i was simply saying i think dogs are far more likely to be reacting to our giant changes in body language
The same way people talk about horses 'smelling fear' more likely to be to do with the change in handling it is feeling directly and the changes in your breathing and voice
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
i was simply saying i think dogs are far more likely to be reacting to our giant changes in body language
The same way people talk about horses 'smelling fear' more likely to be to do with the change in handling it is feeling directly and the changes in your breathing and voice
with horses it is the body language, especially when your riding them, because if you are nervous or scared, your body naturally tenses up, and the horse can feel it from both the saddle and the reins ... it took me a while to learn to relax when i was learning to ride!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Pheromones, a chemical secreted and detectable to members of the same species and can impact on the others behavior
fear - an emotion

yes there have been some studies to suggest there may be a human fear pheromoneI havent seen any to sugesst it works across species

These are the studies to which I referred to when I mentioned the Extraordinary Dogs programme.

Similar to how the schnauzer was able to "predict" who was going to die next in the nursing home which was featured? Pheremones, body language? Hmmmmmm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...mell-pheromone

Extract from link

People can unconsciously detect whether someone is stressed or scared by smelling a chemical pheromone released in their sweat, according to researchers who have investigated the underarm secretions of petrified skydivers.

The team found that the smell of fear triggered a heightened response in brain regions associated with fear when inhaled by volunteers in a brain scanner. The research suggests that like many animal species, humans can detect and subconsciously respond to pheromones released by other people.

End of extract

So, my hypothesis of animals being able to detect fear pheremones exuded by people is incorrect. Hmmmmm

Considering that dogs can detect all sorts of things previously considered impossibe eg refer to bio detection dogs, I suppose it is totally beyond the realms of possibility that dogs can and do detect pheremones from people.................?

And of course if an animals has previously NOT been exposed to a person, it cannot really identify any "changes" that have occurred in breathing, voice or body as of course they have no "control" against which to react..............

Hmmmmmmmmm
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Slightly different is it not

"In mammals, all lactating females release a substance which science calls an "appeasing" pheromone. The function of this pheromone is to provide a feeling of comfort, safety and reassurance to the young."

"...these have shown that by releasing this familiar signal to the dog, the DAP Diffuser can be very effective in many areas of dog behaviour therapy by making it feel less anxious, calmer and safer"

They are introduced to this from young age and its something they can associate to (assumptionse here) the feeling of safety and content when being with their mum

How do they know what scent fear is without body language association at least? I havent said they cant but there is nothing to say they can either. Personally I believe body language is the main factor.

(And personally I dont think DAPs make any difference but its certainly worth a try for those with anxious dogs.)
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 12:58 PM
i think its bodylanguage AND scent... cold sweats etc.....
Page 11 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »