Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I'll have a look on Amazon and see if I can find them second hand.

Do you know the Torak books by Michelle Paver? they are actually meant for children, but they are fantastic. I have read the first 4 now - the books are based 6,000 years ago roughly, when homo sapiens lived in small groups or "clans" - some clans were hunter gatherers and moved around, but some put roots down. The main character, Torak, discovers he can talk to wolves, and the whole series of books are based around his friendship and communication with Wolf, his friend, who is of course a wolf. There is far far more to the stories than that and I won't spoil the surprise for anyone who wants to read the books, but I am absolutely riveted by them. There is one more left to read and my friend is going to buy it for me for Christmas. The last 2 christmas and birthday's have been Torak times!
I think you would enjoy the Jean Auel books - the main character in that has a wolf from the 3rd book.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Plenty of semi Ferile dogs around abroad. They seem to get by.

Ferrets are domesticated polecats. Remove the human element (roads/ cars etc) and one of ours would have done alright for herself I think- used to treat every trip out as a sort of open air restaurant experience - so that's 1/5.

So far - so irrelevant!
Semi is a big difference!
.....and I have a dog who was feral/wild - who was emaciated by the point he got to us. So Some would possibly cope - but I do not think they would thrive.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I think you would enjoy the Jean Auel books - the main character in that has a wolf from the 3rd book.
Thanx. I have looked on Amazon and will be ordering!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
Firstly; you had a wolf hybrid?! Please tell us more
Secondly; interesting, do you have any theories as to why?
I'll PM you for fear of causing annoyance/a huge row!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 07:11 PM
No, I don't have any theories as to why wolf urine should be so different in smell. A few years ago we met a lovely lady who raced siberian huskies, and her sibes' urine had a similar odour. It is what I can only describe as a "carbohydrate" smell, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I really cannot put into words that DO make sense a description of the smell, but it is very different.

Tupacs and Tassle: does your wolfy guys' urine smell different from your non-wolfy dogs?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Sorry, a mis postin error!

Blkonde moment!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:12 PM
No, I don't have any theories as to why wolf urine should be so different in smell. A few years ago we met a lovely lady who raced siberian huskies, and her sibes' urine had a similar odour. It is what I can only describe as a "carbohydrate" smell, which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I really cannot put into words that DO make sense a description of the smell, but it is very different.

Tupacs and Tassle: does your wolfy guys' urine smell different from your non-wolfy dogs?
My dogs are both entire - and both have very strong smelling urine. Much more so than a neutered dog, but not really different from each other.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I'll PM you for fear of causing annoyance/a huge row!
lmao... yes we all know why lol.... Dawes Paws.... pinch of salt

... nope

and neither do any of my sibes
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 10:26 AM
All dogs urine smells different to different dogs. With my useless human nose I can tell the entire dogs smell but not which is which.

rune
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
lmao... yes we all know why lol.... Dawes Paws.... pinch of salt

... nope

and neither do any of my sibes
very funny Tupacs!!

Interesting what you say about your guy's urine. The smell is SO strong, and SO different - I have no answer - for once, I am speechless!!!
Page 11 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >