Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
but it wasnt the same thing,
different vets work in different ways,also each patient has to be considered individually.

.. alot of the the vets do not know about insurance unless the owner brings the matter up beforehand.... then often its the owner that goes for the more expensive option.
also some owners feel we can do the impossible to a moving feeling target
...but to be fair it does help to know the right questions....my fav is..'and what will happen if......
the first question i was asked while the vet was looking at the wound (before asking what had actually happened to cause it) was whether i was insured.

when Jake got all his treatment done, i went with what the vet said as i have never had a dog have a wound like that, so it was new for me. my uncle (who lives quite a bit away from us) came to visit a few days later, and i just wish i had thought to call him coz he does have experience with things like that... next time anything happens he will be getting a call straight away coz after owning dogs all his life, he has come across a lot.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
the first question i was asked while the vet was looking at the wound (before asking what had actually happened to cause it) was whether i was insured.

when Jake got all his treatment done, i went with what the vet said as i have never had a dog have a wound like that, so it was new for me. my uncle (who lives quite a bit away from us) came to visit a few days later, and i just wish i had thought to call him coz he does have experience with things like that... next time anything happens he will be getting a call straight away coz after owning dogs all his life, he has come across a lot.
...imo thats a very dangerous road to go down

i mean what do vets know
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 12:59 AM
why what happened?

what was he knocked out three times for?

was you at the vets with the other dog? do u know what actually happened?...things get lost in translation from vet,to owner,to friend,to friend of friend....
he was knocked out the first time obviously to clean, flush, stitch etc the wound. The second time was coz the wound got infected. When i picked him up the first time he was in, he had a bumpy bit on the bottom of the wound. i asked what it was, and was told it was swelling that would go down in a day or two... it wasnt swelling, it was fluid which got infected. When i spoke to my uncle about it (before he saw Jake) he asked if a drain was put in the wound, and when i said no, he said his vet puts a drain in as a precaution coz wounds like that can get infections coz of fluid the wound produces... when he saw Jakes wound, he said that in his opinion a drain should have put in it. I also spoke to a neighbour, who is good friends with my usual vet, and she said the same thing. Like i have said though, i dont have experience with this type of wound but both of them do. After i was told this, i did some reading and most things agreed with them. The third time was when he got the drain out. Now, i dont know if dogs normally get drains out while knocked out... but it was a few stitches to get cut, and then some of the skin glue put in it.

The treatment of the other dog was told me directly from the owner, and i met him in the waiting room at the vets when i went to pick Jake up after having the drain removed. This dog also had a drain in (for a different reason, he had a cyst removed but that got infected) and the time i met them, he was in to get his drain taken out there and then, while fully awake... they had drains in for slightly different reasons, but i am still surprised it was done a different way.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 01:01 AM
...imo thats a very dangerous road to go down

i mean what do vets know
im not saying that, but having someone elses opinion to ask the vet about is IMO better than following them blindly. Vets do know a lot, but owners who have firsthand experience with their own animals are good to talk to. Just the same as people come on here and ask people for their experiences etc.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-12-2010, 08:56 AM
this comment has actually made me so mad and upset that you would even imply that i dont think it was worth paying coz Jake is a dog! when i saw his wound i burst out crying, called my OH to come with the car and took Jake straight to the vets... the cost didnt even come into my mind at the point, and it wasnt a question of not taking him coz of the cost!
I dont think anyone suggested you did not think Jale was worth the cost of treatment.

Merely pointing out they medical treatment costs a lot of money, be it for human or animal.

he was knocked out the first time obviously to clean, flush, stitch etc the wound. The second time was coz the wound got infected. When i picked him up the first time he was in, he had a bumpy bit on the bottom of the wound. i asked what it was, and was told it was swelling that would go down in a day or two... it wasnt swelling, it was fluid which got infected. When i spoke to my uncle about it (before he saw Jake) he asked if a drain was put in the wound, and when i said no, he said his vet puts a drain in as a precaution coz wounds like that can get infections coz of fluid the wound produces... when he saw Jakes wound, he said that in his opinion a drain should have put in it. I also spoke to a neighbour, who is good friends with my usual vet, and she said the same thing. Like i have said though, i dont have experience with this type of wound but both of them do. After i was told this, i did some reading and most things agreed with them. The third time was when he got the drain out. Now, i dont know if dogs normally get drains out while knocked out... but it was a few stitches to get cut, and then some of the skin glue put in it.

The treatment of the other dog was told me directly from the owner, and i met him in the waiting room at the vets when i went to pick Jake up after having the drain removed. This dog also had a drain in (for a different reason, he had a cyst removed but that got infected) and the time i met them, he was in to get his drain taken out there and then, while fully awake... they had drains in for slightly different reasons, but i am still surprised it was done a different way.
Are you saying the vet performed surgery on this dog , removing a cyst, stitching it up and putting a drain in the wound while the dogs was "awake"

There is no point in comparing another case to yours, and deciding you were ripped off ,because theirs cost less,

You dont know the circumstances of the dogs treatment, what after care/medication and so on he needed,

The fact a vet asks if you are insured does not preempt him ripping you off.

Why did you not challenge the cost and ask for a breakdown of costs, if you were not happy with the 1) treatment 2) cost.

I would also be weary of the layman informing you , this that and the other should have been done in their opinion, unless ofcause said layman is a vet or vet nurse... there may well be a very good reason why your vet did not put a drain in, all wounds dont automatically warrant a drain. something your uncle may not understand.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 09:16 AM
i havnt read all of the thread

but the idea vets charge more because of insurance i do not believe,fees are fees and are set..what people with insurance often get is more options that come with a higher price tag.
So it's a coincidence something like anal gland cleaning went from 50p each time to £25 as soon as we insured ? I don't think so obviously. And I fully understand being offered options but some vets make it quite clear because you are not going down the expensive route you are not doing the best for your dog an example would be allergy testing because we had £300 worth of test and then opted for steroids daily it was made quite clear to us the further £700 of testing and experimental testing was a better course forgetting all the time Duncan would be itchy and unhappy and we would be working all hours to pay for it.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
So it's a coincidence something like anal gland cleaning went from 50p each time to £25 as soon as we insured ? I don't think so obviously. And I fully understand being offered options but some vets make it quite clear because you are not going down the expensive route you are not doing the best for your dog an example would be allergy testing because we had £300 worth of test and then opted for steroids daily it was made quite clear to us the further £700 of testing and experimental testing was a better course forgetting all the time Duncan would be itchy and unhappy and we would be working all hours to pay for it.
50p!!! well im not suprissed it went up ...mind u id do it for free

..i would say thats guilt from your part.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 12:17 PM
50p!!! well im not suprissed it went up ...mind u id do it for free

..i would say thats guilt from your part.
Well the 50p was back in 1984 and much was cheaper back then.

As for guilt - not so much from my part as I know what my dog needs and that is less itchiness and more fun not more misery and tests, but it did make me change vets to one who understood a little better the dilemma of itchiness versus a cure. And coincidentally a lump removal quoted at £500 freom our first vet was done for less than £300 at our current vet but he isn't supporting a huge staff and large building.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Now you are just spoiling for a fight. Did you not read the very first sentence of my post?

DONT YOU UNDERSTAND YOU ARE NOT ALL VETS!!!
You have no place to tell me what experiences I have or have not had with vets! (or anyone else for that matter)
You know how you are with your clients - you clearly dont know how many vets in the UK ARE.

If someone cant' pay and the pet has a life threatening injury or illness or is suffering, yes, we offer euthanasia.

Thats a worst case scenario. Otherwise we work with what they can afford. But my point is MANY dont. sinuation that we don't care is what really gets under my skin. Don't you see? EVERYONE has a sad story. I feel sorry for ALL those people because it could easily be me in that situation. Heck, it has been me. But I am not responsible for saving every single hard luck case that comes into the practice. I'd go mad if I tried to take on that responsibility.NO ONE IS SAYING YOU SHOULD. YOU THINK YOU ARE EVERY VET IN THE WORLD!! NO ONE IS SPECIFICALLY TALKING ABOUT YOU AND YOU ONLY. We do what we can with what they have. A cut pad often doesn't need to see a vet at all. Call us up, we'll tell you to bath the wound and keep it clean and dry. Dress with a sock or bandage material you can get at a drugstore. Advice is free THIS IS WHAT YOU DONT GET - MANY WILL NOT - THEY WILL SIMPLY SAY - WE NEED TO SEE THE DOG AND THATS THE ADVICE YOU GET!! to. My initial point way back when this all started, was that in this litigious society if we don't offer you the gold standard treatment, even if I know you can't afford it. If your pet dies, you could sue us. Sad but true. Facts are facts.

I am not a heartless person. Neither are any of my colleagues. But I do think that if a dog is suffering and the cost of treatment is going to be high (and there is no way to short cut things) then euthanasia is a viable option.

Also no one is selling on anyones pets. These animals are rehabilitated and sent to rescue agencies who adopt them out and we never see a dime.

Your attitude is exactly what I am talking about. Because the veterinary industry is in the business of helping people and animals often in dire situations, we all look like bad guys when we can't help. Guess what! We can't help them all. It is MY responsibility to take care of MY pets that I have chosen to bring into my home. Because I AM a caring person, I often DO take on the responsibility of other peoples pets. Tell me, where is the line? Where does it stop? Am I personally responsible for every hard luck case that walks into our clinic? Why? Who says?
Perhaps you should realise that not all vets will just give out advice willy nilly, that not all dogs will be taken in, patched up and given to a rescue for them to sell to a new home - you seem to think that this is a personal attack on you - no one is attacking YOU but we all have our experiences and knowledge and are allowed to voice our oinion, if you choose to believe that you are so bladdy important that whenever anyone has anything to mention about a vet anywhere in this world its an attack on the almighty you then go ahead.

nuf said
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Perhaps you should realise that not all vets will just give out advice willy nilly, that not all dogs will be taken in, patched up and given to a rescue for them to sell to a new home - you seem to think that this is a personal attack on you - no one is attacking YOU but we all have our experiences and knowledge and are allowed to voice our oinion, if you choose to believe that you are so bladdy important that whenever anyone has anything to mention about a vet anywhere in this world its an attack on the almighty you then go ahead.

nuf said

Another point is as a humane human being most of us could not turn away a suffering animal or person, to say it is business and to be able to do so takes a different mind set than I and many others have. I am not saying we or the vets are right but my goodness we do seem to be different.
Page 11 of 16 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »