Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
oh give over with the guilt tripping - it won't work - most people do not see things that black and white.

pedigree dogs that are killed are 99 times out of a 100 from backyard breeders and the like. stop tarring everyone with the same filthy brush.

besides - in my personal and humble opinion, kill shelters are worse than puppy farmers.

xx
It's not guilt tripping it's FACT

Do you really think kill shelters want to destroy dogs? come-on!!! They have to destory because there are too mant dogs in this country and not enough homes. Hense my opinions
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Exactly, if I didn't want to show I would go to Weimaraner breed rescue, deffinately, because i'd still want a Weimaraner regardless.
Good on you, if only everyone else did the same
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by AllBreeds View Post
It's not huilt tripping it's FACT

Do you really think kill shelters want to destroy dogs? come-on!!! They have to destory because there are too mant dogs in this country and not enough homes. Hense my opinions
I don't know whether kill shelters 'want' to destroy dogs - i honestly don't. I think it's horrific that you would keep a dog in rescue rather than return it to it's breeder. VERY very sad - let me ask - do you think a dog is better put to death than returned to a responsible breeder? because that is how what you are saying comes accross.

xx
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:24 PM
come to that - actually - if you don't have the space, time and funds for every dog you take in, you shouldn't be taking them in. I often rescue rats - but I know my limit - I wouldn't class myself as a rescue because I can't take in enough rats - certainly those I know who rescue have a limit - and do not breach it - they turn them away - send them to another rescue. Simple fact is you cannot possibly claim to be helping dogs if you are taking so many in that some have to die for it.

xx
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I have been wowed by some of the Wiccaweys gorgeous collies and think I will definitely go there for one someday. However, for the forseeable future I want a collie to train as a sheepdog for trials and work and I doubt many (if any) rescue dogs would be suitable.
Of course they would rescues are not a different species. I've seen rescues come first in agility, SD trials, flyball etc
spot
Dogsey Veteran

besides - in my personal and humble opinion, kill shelters are worse than puppy farmers.

xx
I too found this statement interesting, again why do you think kill shelters are worse than puppy farmers? Most of what you call kill shelters are actually local pounds who have to take the dogs in regardless, they are contracted to do so. Most work damn hard to either rehome or work with rescues to get the dogs out into a safe place where they will be assessed and rehomed properly. Not something a puppy farmer will do with unsold stock! I find that opinion quite surprising
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

I find your tone frankly offensive to those of us who buy and breed responsibly. The point is that it is a matter of choice that I would choose to buy a well bred, health tested dog with the support of a breeder who is always on the end of the phone if need be. Why should I not pay for this choice just because other breeders and puppy farmers and irresponsible owners can't stop their dogs breeding and the subsequent owners rehoming them when they are fed up with them?
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:28 PM
there is no need to repeat yourself spot.

All I can say is that at least puppy farmers are giving homes to dogs - I am not talking about pounds - I am talking about shelters that rescue, and would rather see a dog die than return to a breeder - and these do exist.

A close friend of mine had a litter where mum wouldn't feed - knew there was a rescue with a potential foster mum, and was told - in no uncertain terms - that because she was a breeder, they would take the babies, but the breeder would have no say in where they went, or what would happen to them, and would never be allowed to see them again. as it happens, that breeder found another breeder to foster - things went very smoothly from there on.

xx
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:29 PM
just to add - no-one likes puppy farmers - They are the scum of the earth... but then, so are shelters that kill in my opinion. I can't ever see a reason for it.

xx

ETA - maybe my not being able to see a reason for kill shelters makes me as narrowminded as those who see no reason for responsible breeders eh?
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 05:33 PM
come to that - actually - if you don't have the space, time and funds for every dog you take in, you shouldn't be taking them in. I often rescue rats - but I know my limit - I wouldn't class myself as a rescue because I can't take in enough rats - certainly those I know who rescue have a limit - and do not breach it - they turn them away - send them to another rescue. Simple fact is you cannot possibly claim to be helping dogs if you are taking so many in that some have to die for it.

xx
Bless, how little you know.
It's the council pounds that destory these dogs, they destory them when they get full because by law they can't turn away a stray dog.
Us rescues fight day in day out to save these dogs but it's just not possible to help them all. We can only take what we have space for and space is only freed up when a dog finds a new home. Sadly there are more dogs than there are homes available
Page 11 of 39 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »