Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
it was added to explain, why I left uni the first time. I didn't make a choice to leave it was necessary, and I spent a long time getting to the position to be back where I started.....

understood

and i am truly sorry
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I am lucky now, I'm married and happy. As for money it doesn't create luck.

This country gives too much and too many expect more.

Everyone thinks they have a right to everything, I worked for where I was, and I will continue to do so when I graduate and if it was necessary I would work part time now as well as I have been in the past.

Some people have worked all their days and still do not have the opportunity to go into Higher Ed, never mind Uni
We save, we're careful, we don't go out getting drunk, we don't smoke, we live a modest life.

There are many people around me in council houses, flats, out every weekend, smoking, driving around in their BMWs, with 6 kids knowing that they'll get their money for nothing weekly, not a care in the world, that is lucky, unfortunately for them, the time has come when their luck is about to run out!
I fail to see how, its the people that need it that it will be cut from, the scammers will simply find another loophole/way.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
understood

and i am truly sorry
Thank you

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
I fail to see how, its the people that need it that it will be cut from, the scammers will simply find another loophole/way.
Because those who do NEED it will still receive.

Hev, I completely understand your viewpoint on the NHS, however making a comparison to other countries eg America (another incredibly rich country), if you'd have had so much as a water infection that hadn't been disclosed to their insurers when they took out the policy people get nothing, no treatment at all for anything..... so in comparison we're a very lucky country.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 07:37 PM
You don't need a job to get a STUDENT LOAN! It comes from the STUDENT LOANS COMPANY, completely separate, from any kind of high street financial institution. You have to be a full time student to get one, presently they fund your tuition fees and you also get about 3 and a half thousand pounds a year maintenance loan if you have not been to uni previously, that is for one person per year, that is a lot of money given to you, at an incredibly low interest rate and it is not reclaimed until you're earning over 15k. And how would they pay their bills? certainly not with 3k a year and I thought you were talking about people funding their own uni ed anyway

I saved and worked full time whilst not studying, why people are finding this such a dreadful prospect I cannot grasp That would be because no one is saying its a dreadful prospect but that its somethini that for a lot of people is no possible - why do you find that so hard to grasp?!I'm afraid, I worked in a call centre, nothing privileged about that believe me, I worked 5 days a week as standard 8 hour shifts and added an extra 2-3 onto that daily as overtime,I also worked every day off that I had for overtime. I saved a lot very quickly, its amazing how little you spend when you're working at least 10 hours everyday of the week except a Sunday where I worked 6! so your solution is for people to work 66 hour weeks to be able to fund uni - not do able for many people I studied and then worked in a bar and nightclub from 8pm-5am Friday and Saturday, and 7pm-close (roughly 1.30am) on a Sunday also sometimes in the week.

Studying at distance with the Open Uni wouldn't make any difference for carers. Yes it would as study time counts with benefits etc i.e. they can take their 'wage' off them and they cant go out and get a 66 hour job to save up if they have someone they are caring for. If someone has to leave college to help with the family wages then it won't make a lot of difference how much Uni fees are as they wouldn't be able to afford to be away from home anyway unfortunately. EXACTLY! so how can you say we can all go out there and fund uni if its something we want enough?!I live in a poor area of the country at present, but if you saw the number of people who cheat the system you'd see why I believe that the country needs help and if putting up tuition fees is the way to start in what way will that prevent benefit fraud/scammers?then that is one of those things, get rid of some of the courses and it will be a good stepping stone.

As for my political preference, that is for me to know, interesting that you think I'm tory.
I said putting the fees up was typically tory

Also, I pointed out that I left home at 17 as there are many people who go to Uni who then return home, I certainly probably should have in order to save even quicker, but frankly why should my father have supported me, I want an education, he spent my childhood working all the hours under the sun for me, he had 3 jobs, not everything is easy in this world and the sooner this country realises that the better.
Thats the thing its quite obvious you have no idea just how hard this life is for some of your fellow brits by your posts.

Your comment here proves not only that but you are niaive.
Because those who do NEED it will still receive.
A cheater is just that someone who will CHEAT and get what they want in that way.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Thats the thing its quite obvious you have no idea just how hard this life is for some of your fellow brits by your posts.

Your comment here proves not only that but you are nieve.
This life is as hard for us as it has to be, try being African, then tell me life here is hard?!

To address your numerous points I'm not really sure where to start, I think we're getting crossed wires. The maintenance loans etc are accessible to all currently, and will continue to be, the only difference is that they will have to be more & the aim of a degree is to get a job, the 'flowery degrees' eg Photography, art, etc, need to go. It is unfortunate and I'm sure the situation will be revised in the future, however the country is in a bit of mess and needs to be sorted, isn't it better to take off those who are going to ultimately have much better jobs than take from the poor?

In response to living, bills etc, when you're at Uni you have the option of living in halls, bills included usually for the first year, in your 2nd and 3rd you tend to live in student housing, low rent, shared bills. Students will still be able to work part time and live perfectly well, they will just have a larger student loan afterwards! If they don't want a loan then work to pay for it prior to studying, look at the American Uni system......

As for equality for those with academic potential labour abolished bursaries for private schools, how was that fair?

As for the carer situation, if the person is on carers allowance then they won't be able to study full time for Uni anyway, so the fees isn't an issue or am I missing something, having never been on benefits I don't know the situation for part time distance study.

University degrees should offer something back to society, you can't just study because you fancy it, it has to lead somewhere, else you'll end up back where you started.....

I can't re-quote your additions to my earlier message I'm afraid so I'm sorry if I've missed anything.

I am also not naive, Just don't expect the world to owe me a living.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2010, 07:58 PM
In response to living, bills etc, when you're at Uni you have the option of living in halls, bills included usually for the first year, in your 2nd and 3rd you tend to live in student housing, low rent, shared bills. Students will still be able to work part time and live perfectly well

Not possible if you have a child or partner you live with.

I am also not naive

You maybe not, but that is how you come across.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
In response to living, bills etc, when you're at Uni you have the option of living in halls, bills included usually for the first year, in your 2nd and 3rd you tend to live in student housing, low rent, shared bills. Students will still be able to work part time and live perfectly well

Not possible if you have a child or partner you live with.

I am also not naive

You maybe not, but that is how you come across.
I enjoy insults.

Yes you can live on campus in a family flat in halls, and they have family private accommodation through University rental systems.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-11-2010, 08:07 PM
I enjoy insults.

Yes you can live on campus in a family flat in halls, and they have family private accommodation through University rental systems.
Not good for a child though I would think..........anyway we are going around in circles here.

I am glad that you are doing fine but please please dont think that what you have is available to everyone..........after all you are only 25 and may be seeing things through a young persons eyes.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 08:11 PM
This life is as hard for us as it has to be, try being African, then tell me life here is hard?!

Not all Africans are poor!
To address your numerous points I'm not really sure where to start, I think we're getting crossed wires. The maintenance loans etc are accessible to all currently, and will continue to be, the only difference is that they will have to be more & the aim of a degree is to get a job, the 'flowery degrees' eg Photography, art, etc, need to go. It is unfortunate and I'm sure the situation will be revised in the future, however the country is in a bit of mess and needs to be sorted, isn't it better to take off those who are going to ultimately have much better jobs than take from the poor?

But that is taking opportunities away from poor people even though our country can afford it. The country isnt just in a mess the whole economy is. A maintenance loan isnt enough for many people to live off. What is being suggested is limiting the poor of this country in their education choices available

In response to living, bills etc, when you're at Uni you have the option of living in halls, bills included usually for the first year, in your 2nd and 3rd you tend to live in student housing, low rent, shared bills. Students will still be able to work part time and live perfectly well, they will just have a larger student loan afterwards! If they don't want a loan then work to pay for it prior to studying, look at the American Uni system......

But we are not in america and not everyone has the option of Halls etc

As for equality for those with academic potential labour abolished bursaries for private schools, how was that fair?

How is it fair to limit thousands in their education V's the few/minority?
As for the carer situation, if the person is on carers allowance then they won't be able to study full time for Uni anyway, so the fees isn't an issue or am I missing something, having never been on benefits I don't know the situation for part time distance study. This is the point not everyone can go out and save and fund their own Uni...

University degrees should offer something back to society, you can't just study because you fancy it, it has to lead somewhere, else you'll end up back where you started.....
Why would you think that someone would put all that effort in just to end up back where they started (on purpose)? but interestingy, that sounds a bit like what you have done, (done one course then went back for another) benefit cheats certainly dont need to do that - as youve said, all the ones round your area that you mentioned, bet they are not all going to uni and getting academic praise/jobs afterwards, still in their paid for accomodation though.

I can't re-quote your additions to my earlier message I'm afraid so I'm sorry if I've missed anything.
At the end of the day, not everyone can afford to fund their own uni education. Considering the wealth of this country its a disgrace that the government are happy to limit the people of this country by social and financial status. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer is all that comes from limiting who can afford to go to uni, meanwhile the bankers take massive bonuses....
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I enjoy insults.

Not everywhere they dont and I cant see many people moving their children around in and out of their schools to suit their own Uni needs.
Page 11 of 19 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »