View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2014, 04:13 PM
Let's hope the blood serum works it magic eh?3 ulcers ah bless her Been worrying about her too.Your vet sounds a bit like mine,understandable really,so much still unknown about the condition.Everything I have read is basically just going over the same thing Really praying the blood serum will sort this all out for poor Katie...how brilliant would that be
You've been doing everything by the book,never miss on treating her 100% and still the ulcers Drive you insane wouldn't it? Can imagine your heart sank when he said they were present..I remember what I was like.
Roll on Friday.
How is she now Rita?
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2014, 10:30 PM
We went for a walk with a friend & his dog & she fell down a 6ft bank whilst chasing a ball, though luckily didn't hurt herself. I've been assuming this loss of vision occurs because her eye is full of saliva when exercising, but her vision's never been this bad before.

It's getting me down because all my friends take it for granted that it will have to be reversed and she will go blind. I've never been able to face up to the reality of illness in anyone I cared about until forced to, so think I probably am in cloud cookoo land about Katie too in hoping she'll be OK.

From what I can see on the net, superficial ulcers should heal within a week, so that's not a good sign.

I've even resorted to putting her spit in my eye to see if it stings. It doesn't, just feels uncomfortable & sticky. Not looking forward to Friday.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2014, 08:07 AM
I do not know what to say Rita. I do not mean this in a nasty way so please forgive me if I am out of order, but I just know that if I had to chose between my beloved Pereg being blind instead of her current condition, I would chose the former. Because as long as a dog is healthy, like a person, loss of sight does not mean the end of life. (((hugs)))
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by rita1 View Post
We went for a walk with a friend & his dog & she fell down a 6ft bank whilst chasing a ball, though luckily didn't hurt herself. I've been assuming this loss of vision occurs because her eye is full of saliva when exercising, but her vision's never been this bad before.

It's getting me down because all my friends take it for granted that it will have to be reversed and she will go blind. I've never been able to face up to the reality of illness in anyone I cared about until forced to, so think I probably am in cloud cookoo land about Katie too in hoping she'll be OK.

From what I can see on the net, superficial ulcers should heal within a week, so that's not a good sign.

I've even resorted to putting her spit in my eye to see if it stings. It doesn't, just feels uncomfortable & sticky. Not looking forward to Friday.
been exactly where you are right now.Lacey's ulcer was very clear to see.Her eye was operated on to remove the top layer to try and save it and treated with abs,which didn't work.Sorry to be so graphic but it then busted and the only option left was to have it removed.My only regret is that it wasn't removed sooner,without having to put her through all that first,but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
After she recovered from the op,she really was back to her old self,no more pain.Honestly Rita,as devastating as the thought of it is to us,dogs are amazingly resilient.I put myself through hell,really did get into an awful state,I wish I had of known how it would turn out because it was nothing like I imagined it to be.
Lacey like Katie,had one eye more effected than the other( ulcers) and there are days when her vision in her remaining eye is very poor.Through it all she manages the best.Dogs use their nose more than their eyes and its unbelievable how un effected their life really is.Apart from the occasionally bump,which has been my fault everytime( moving things or leaving something out)nothing has changed.We still do everything we always have,go wherever,there are no limits
I hadn't joined Dogsey when we were going through this and I really wish at the time I had someone to tell me it was going to be ok...when I look back I think at one time I actually lost the plot...feel pretty stupid now
Try not to dread Friday,I know its hard,but whatever they decide to do will be the best thing for Katie.Poor girl has been through so much already.Have everything crossed for her,just wanted to reassure you,that if comes to her losing her ulcerated eye,or losing sight in it,she will be the same Katie I promise you that.
I wish you both all the very best,you have worked so hard with her,it really is a horrible condition of which too little is known
Sorry didn't mean to write an essay just know we are all here for you,rooting for Katie((( hugs)))
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Thanks Lacey & I see what you mean.

She was so bad Thursday I got an emergency appointment with the clinic & they're keeping her in till at least Tuesday. My vet's very good, but their equipment is a bit basic. Turned out there's 1 huge ulcer with gaps on right eye, which made it look like 4. These haven't cleared yet. Worse still, they were filled with crystals, so must be like having ulcer with grit in it. Microdot ulcers all over left, which have cleared. Driving me mad to think of her pain.

PH balance has reduced in urine, but not in saliva. On Royal Canin now for 2 weeks to see if it works. They were going to give her something to bring it down in a few hours, but as cornea not healthy, this could have damaged it more. The thing is, even if clear up ulcer (said can't operate on ulcer if eye unhealthy) more will appear if PH doesn't go down.

They're doing all they can - cocktail of antibiotics & clinitas every 2 hours & clinitas every hour & ring me twice a day (am on tenterhooks waiting for this morning's call). They've removed crystals & say corneas looking much better, but she's still uncomfortable.

I can only go with what they suggest. It's the PH that's causing ulcers & thus pain, so if they reverse op pain should go, but then as she's zero will get ulcers & more than likely lose sight in both eyes. If she could keep sight in one eye I'd be happy, but to be completely blind for a dog like her, I don't know.

If they do get PH down, say there's a very minimal risk the reduction in PH in urine could cause kidney problems & suggest blood & urine tests every 6 month - so I'd do it every 3 months as she's such an unlucky dog.

Clung to me Thursday when they were examining eye & looked so miserable. Didn't want to be led away. We just don't appreciate it enough when they're healthy.

Have decided if she does go blind to get another dog (although I don't really want one) to hopefully help guide her around.

I am so angry with her 1st vet for not testing her. If & when I've got the energy, I might complain to the RCVS, although I expect they cover for them & it'd be a waste of time.
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2014, 12:33 PM
Vet rang. No worse, but no better. Still squinting. Needs more time on drops for ulcer. PH not down, but takes time on vet diet. Going to have a meeting about her on Monday to decide whether to give it more time or do reversal possibly Tuesday. Said reluctant to in one way without giving it every opportunity, but eyes could develop more ulcers with saliva irritating if don't.

He said she's extremely unlucky, because if she was his dog he would have gone ahead with op with every confidence. Said should have made life a lot better for her.

If they do decide not to for a while, I'm going to be panicking when she comes home, because I won't know if other ulcers developing, but I can only go with what they recommend.

He said what an exceptionally lovely little dog she is & that he feels so sorry for her. Apart from the pain, she must be so miserable & worried about why she's not at home.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Oh, poor girl. Rita, you're working so hard. She's such a trooper, hanging in there and being so sweet to the vets and everything. I hope everything turns out for the best, I could never afford all these vet fees, I feel for you in that department, as well.

Have decided if she does go blind to get another dog (although I don't really want one) to hopefully help guide her around.
Not sure this is a good idea, though. Her being blind, another dog could serve only to frighten her and make things worse. Added in that the other dog might not help her and YOU don't really even want another dog, this may or may not be worth doing.

I'm sure you'll do whatever is best and think things through totally, I have faith in you, just thought to maybe point that out.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Rita,I'm really sorry poor Katie is having to go through all this know how much you hate to be apart from her,but sounds like she's in safe hands,bless her.Hopefully you'll know more on Monday.No point telling you to try not to worry,I'd be the same.Can only send massive (( hugs)),keeping fingers and paws crossed,really hope the news is good for her.Xxxx
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks both of you. Yes, mustn't make any rash decisions about getting another dog - &, knowing our luck, would get one that didn't help her. I'd always go for a rescue dog, but wouldn't have the heart to send it back if it didn't work out.

Depending on what they say in the next couple of days, I'm wondering if it might be worth me asking that they delay the reversal for a couple of weeks (depending on pain level) to see if the PH reduces as long as they keep her up there so that they can look out for any more problems. Don't think I can take the responsibility of using my own judgement on her condition. Really don't know what to do for the best. If it is reversed, I'm going to put Clinitas in hourly as much as I possibly can, but realize this will be a tremendous strain on both of us.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Hard to know,isn't it?Guess all you can do for now is wait on the vet's verdict and find out what the options are.Imagine she'll be delighted to see you Is the vets still 40 miles away or is this a different one?
Page 11 of 14 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 >