Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Please remember Snorri said is his first post

''only a total idiot would want this''

I may be opionionated but I am not an idiot for wanting snow.
On present form it rather looks as if he was right!

rune
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
Not been on here for a couple of days and haven't read the beginning of this thread but am going to read it right through now.
I just wanted to say that Jols has been very kind to me and has sent me a lot of pm's asking if I am ok etc. I know she is outspoken but I think she has a heart of gold.
I am glad you have felt that, but sorry there is little sign of any compassion in her posts on this thread and little insight into the complexities life holds, it seems more concerning her what is on someone's side table
As for the "only an idiot would want snow" bit, I hardly think it was directed at any one, rather a frustrated remark.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I am glad you have felt that, but sorry there is little sign of any compassion in her posts on this thread and little insight into the complexities life holds, it seems more concerning her what is on someone's side table As for the "only an idiot would want snow" bit, I hardly think it was directed at any one, rather a frustrated remark.
Just a little bit of fun,
Azz
Administrator
Male 

18-12-2010, 01:39 PM
I think this thread shows us a lot.

Unfortunately it highlights just what is wrong with many in society today. Blinkered views, lack of compassion/intelligence/decency/thoughtfulness - not to mention being unreasonable and unrealistic.

However, it also shows something good, too. That there are a LOT of people who are not like that. And I am proud of all of our members who have spoken up against it.

Snorri - I completely agree, snow longer than a day or two is a nuisance and most people's circumstances are no where near as bad as yours! I hope things get a little better for you this week.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Ok, I have now read the thread from beginning to end,

I sympathise with Snorri! It's must be absolutely awful living somewhere like Orkney when the weather is bad. I would hate it and feel very trapped and isolated. I just hope the snow doesn't last very long. May be it is time to consider moving next year before the winter gets here again. I know it isn't easy to do though, especially if money is tight and your home circumstances are tricky.

As for Jols comments, I do feel she has answered a little
harshly not knowing all the facts. I don't think she is an idiot though for wanting snow. I am in Cornwall and at the moment we don't have snow, my kids are gutted! They love it. We are also lucky to have a good village shop and only live 4 miles from town. The main roads are kept clear and
gritted.
Things should not grind to a halt because of the snow! We as a country are just not prepared! Other European countries just get on with it! Canada is another example!
It happens year after year over here!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Just a little bit of fun,
Pity your 'fun' is better than your compassion

Originally Posted by Cachapman710 View Post
Ok, I have now read the thread from beginning to end,

I sympathise with Snorri! It's must be absolutely awful living somewhere like Orkney when the weather is bad. I would hate it and feel very trapped and isolated. I just hope the snow doesn't last very long. May be it is time to consider moving next year before the winter gets here again. I know it isn't easy to do though, especially if money is tight and your home circumstances are tricky.

As for Jols comments, I do feel she has answered a little
harshly not knowing all the facts. I don't think she is an idiot though for wanting snow. I am in Cornwall and at the moment we don't have snow, my kids are gutted! They love it. We are also lucky to have a good village shop and only live 4 miles from town. The main roads are kept clear and
gritted.
Things should not grind to a halt because of the snow! We as a country are just not prepared! Other European countries just get on with it! Canada is another example!
It happens year after year over here!
I think you are being generous in your wording, but we will agree to disagree on that one

Again, I don't think his remark was aimed at a personal level, it was a remark made through frustration and perhaps anger. I am sure some people would love snow, but if you read one of Benzmum's difficulties of getting to work in a mass of snow the fun wears off pretty quick and if it is difficult to do basic things, such as going to a shop for milk and you are lucky if there is any on the shelf as everyone is trying to get by and deliveries to shops cease, schools close, people are suppose to get to work but can't drive even if it is only a kilometre away, all these things and more, you could start finding the snow less than pleasant.

We don't have snow here, I think some of the pictures awfully pretty, but when told of the challenges that it brings, I say I am happy just to see the pictures. It even hit the news here and something along the lines of it costing billions of pounds astounded me, as you said it isn't like it has just started snowing over there, and why can't they do something to reduce the impact I don't have the answers to that but since other countries can manage in most snow conditions you would think the UK Government could come up with something. Until then people are trying to make to, but a few complains I understand, as I previously explained as to why.

To dismiss the issue as minor as some have suggested it is, such as move house, stock up etc maybe that is how the UK Government see it and that lack of insight stops action happening.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 03:11 PM
yes get to a hostel get sorted get a job................

I am out of here.

Sorry for having an opinion again!
You also, by your own admission to me, enjoy winding people up.

I do not know any of Snorris story.............but when you write something on the internet expect a reply.

We have had a thread on this before.....people sharing life probs

How can I be expected to know everyones life story.

If this is the case I should not reply to any thread cause there maybe something that happened in 1987 that I dont know about.
No one expects you to know everything and so what you know nothing about you should refrain from passing opinions on.
You are not expected to reply to every thread, so if there is nothing to say then say nothing.

I have to bow out cause there are things that everybody else knows...but me!
A short search will tell you all you need to know.

Please remember Snorri said is his first post

''only a total idiot would want this''

I may be opionionated but I am not an idiot for wanting snow.
Thats a matter of opinion.
Jols when you are elderly or disabled, or both you may understand.

I'm sorry jols, you befriended me too and sent me numerous PMs but I have to say I dislike the tone of your replies, not only on this thread but several others too.
You really need to take a step back and think of others before you jump in making silly sweeping statements.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 03:24 PM
I do enjoy a banter as I have said before..............I also have opinions I am what I am.

If you dont want to read it then put me on ignore...........simples.

I'm sorry jols, you befriended me too and sent me numerous PMs but I have to say I dislike the tone of your replies, not only on this thread but several others too.
You really need to take a step back and think of others before you jump in making silly sweeping statements.

Now this is funny, you agreed with me privately.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 03:28 PM
I do enjoy a banter as I have said before..............I also have opinions I am what I am.

If you dont want to read it then put me on ignore...........simples.
Rot---you can't excuse your appalling posts by calling it 'banter', it doesn't wash any more. You have done it too often.

rune
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
You also, by your own admission to me, enjoy winding people up.

No one expects you to know everything and so what you know nothing about you should refrain from passing opinions on.
You are not expected to reply to every thread, so if there is nothing to say then say nothing.

A short search will tell you all you need to know.

Thats a matter of opinion.
Jols when you are elderly or disabled, or both you may understand.

How funny you agreed with me privately.

Anyway lets leave it there.

Nothing I can do to help people miles away so I am off to check on the neighbours and a possible shop run.
Page 10 of 18 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »