Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
There are some breeds where a deaf puppy can occur

I was thinking along the lines that if deaf pups did not occur in your breed you would not have to make any decisions.
Im happy to make that decision should it occur, whatever the breed. Im not alien to deaf animals. I had a deaf Cat for 15yrs (deaf from birth) board several deaf dogs and a couple deaf Cats, and had a deaf Lab pup in for rehoming. Given the fact they are much higher maintenance and are much more of a liability should they get loose etc.. I would cull a deaf pup under 2wks old if there were a test possible to determine it.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Take a look here
http://www.aht.org.uk/sa_deafness.html
It appears to be a far more widespread issue, breed wise, than many people realise. The UK Dalmatian clubs have always had culling of deaf puppies as part of the Code of Conduct, the bottom line for me is that they would not survive in the wild and who are we to interfere?
I know some very expereinced owners who have taken deaf Dalmatians on, but it's not an easy option and can end in putting down an older dog down the line. Often a deaf puppy will scream every waking moment... and hand signals are no good if a dog bolts away from you towards a main road...
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
Take a look here
http://www.aht.org.uk/sa_deafness.html
It appears to be a far more widespread issue, breed wise, than many people realise. The UK Dalmatian clubs have always had culling of deaf puppies as part of the Code of Conduct, the bottom line for me is that they would not survive in the wild and who are we to interfere?
I know some very expereinced owners who have taken deaf Dalmatians on, but it's not an easy option and can end in putting down an older dog down the line. Often a deaf puppy will scream every waking moment... and hand signals are no good if a dog bolts away from you towards a main road...
Neither are voice commands in a dog with poor recall
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Im happy to make that decision should it occur, whatever the breed. Im not alien to deaf animals. I had a deaf Cat for 15yrs (deaf from birth) board several deaf dogs and a couple deaf Cats, and had a deaf Lab pup in for rehoming. Given the fact they are much higher maintenance and are much more of a liability should they get loose etc.. I would cull a deaf pup under 2wks old if there were a test possible to determine it.
Thats is what I found interesting in your first post re culling under 2 weeks if a test was available. You are open to the fact that 4 weeks plus the pup has developed its own awareness, character etc. I respect you for that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Thats is what I found interesting in your first post re culling under 2 weeks if a test was available. You are open to the fact that 4 weeks plus the pup has developed its own awareness, character etc. I respect you for that.
There isnt a chance Id do it once they were older, but generally they are still deaf and blind to a degree under two weeks.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
There isnt a chance Id do it once they were older, but generally they are still deaf and blind to a degree under two weeks.
Which makes the decision harder , I wonder about what age do you see or suspect a deaf pup.

They dont really start to individualise till around 3/4 wks, I suppose about 4, you may suspect a deaf pup.

I would think the decision to euthanize , would be very hard at that age, but still would not condemn anyone for making it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Not read the whole thread and do not breed, however MY opinion is that there are plenty of dogs with all their faculties who find it difficult to find good homes, it is much HARDER to find homes for deaf ones; especially as many people cannot train an overweight, hearing, elderly labrador................

I feel the same about other dogs with fewer than 4 limbs,, needing lifelong medication, the dog that cannot go out in sunlight etc.

If I bred a litter I would cull any that were substandard;

on the continent it is the norm to cull litters to a specific size regardless of health of litter.

Why should I pass on a problem to someone else?
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Which makes the decision harder , I wonder about what age do you see or suspect a deaf pup.

They dont really start to individualise till around 3/4 wks, I suppose about 4, you may suspect a deaf pup.

I would think the decision to euthanize , would be very hard at that age, but still would not condemn anyone for making it.
my friends pups Hsad hearing at 3/4 weeks but had lost it, were losing it by 6.

Hairs had started to grow in the pigment in the ears but as the pigment had not yet settled it then moved & the hairs died off
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Not read the whole thread and do not breed, however MY opinion is that there are plenty of dogs with all their faculties who find it difficult to find good homes, it is much HARDER to find homes for deaf ones; especially as many people cannot train an overweight, hearing, elderly labrador................

I feel the same about other dogs with fewer than 4 limbs,, needing lifelong medication, the dog that cannot go out in sunlight etc.

If I bred a litter I would cull any that were substandard;

on the continent it is the norm to cull litters to a specific size regardless of health of litter.

Why should I pass on a problem to someone else?
having three legs does not hinder quality of life of a dog!!...altho may hinder you working them
...but u dont mind lobbing its tail off
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
having three legs does not hinder quality of life of a dog!!...altho may hinder you working them
...but u dont mind lobbing its tail off
Neither does deafness. Some of the posts in this thread are just so sad.
Page 10 of 27 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 > Last »