Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-06-2017, 07:40 PM

Thank you Kazz

Thank you Kazz. for you kind comment on my strawberry thread

Now digital photography is well established and editing even easier the individual does not have to rely on professionals to take a good photo.

Some point out that you need expensive cameras and lenses to take a good photo, well that is not right. it is not the camera that takes the photo it is the person behind the camera that does, a camera only does what it has been programmed to do.
some say you need qualifications to take a good photo, utter rubbish. Going to educational lessons in photography only teaches you what others have already done. If you consider all the great painters in the past their pictures are worth £Ms , ask what those are worth who try and copy their style? nothing in comparison .

Nowadays youtube can teach most of what one wants to know and it is free advice

How to learn to take a photo well just look around. Magazines are full of
"professional" photos, so are shop displays -hoardings -buses etc etc.
Don't look at the subject so much as to how it was taken, was it a low down upwards looking shot or visa versa, what angle was the subject taken at ? what else was in the photo -how was the eye drawn towards the main point of the photo.
There are tricks of course like everything else. Think of a photo like a page on a book, get to the end of a line and you have to start again on the left.

A photo believe it or not is similar, the eye automatically starts looking briefly on the left ending or the right. This is where the picture stops by having say a tree or some subject there.
Also to give some idea of distance try and get in shot a nearby overhanging branch or something in the foreground as well.
example

here not only a tree on the left but a tree on the right to create a tunnel view effect and a bonus of the ballistrade to add depth to the view. This is what is called "the rule of thirds", as it can easily be seen in three sections, trees on the left-centre view and trees on the right. This gives the photo balance and a building wanting to be explored

I could go on but the jist of the above gives some idea. it is a question of looking not just seeing that makes the difference.

Always remember you will never ever see bad photos taken by a true professional, their reputation is at stake.

The real test is if you like the photo, if others like it consider it a bonus
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-06-2017, 08:02 PM
if taking animal or moving subject shots try and give them room in the photo to go into
like below

Or a train on a track having somewhere to go

Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2017, 08:10 PM
You are quite right, you never see "bad" work by a professional anything....their reputation is at stake as you say.

My niece totally enjoys photography. But she said she would not make it a career as she enjoys it so much and would not like to be told what to photograph so to speak.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Your photos are really good, more than anything I think becaus they are subject of interest be it nature or a train...............
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Your photos are really good, more than anything I think becaus they are subject of interest be it nature or a train...............
To kind

I prefer taking wildlife shots as you generally only get one chance not like a building you can go back to when the daylight is ok.

I have to admit I don't know much about photography as it covers so many aspects ie it portrait-still life-buildings- wildlife-landscape to name but a few, so tend to have an interest in one mainly with a hopefully passing knowledge of some others.
One can make suggestions on how to get a better photo, but the person learning has to decide on their own style and how and what makes a good photo.
I an self taught and have and still make horrendous mistakes, which I should not make now but I do, and I am not putting them on here even if I still have them.

There are things I really hate seeing and that is water taken in slow motion to give a milky look or abstract photos.
I do enjoy a challange
Moon shots for example
]

The last was really tricky to get. it was a freezing cold night and had to lie in wait on the moons orbit as it moved so fast across the sky being this close. everything had to be set on manual the camera and lens which made it tougher.
Most like this are taken with an astro telescope which I don't have
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2017, 05:36 AM
I think your photos are lovely tw but I also like the ones my daughter takes. Have to put that incase she sees this thread. Bg!!
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-06-2017, 11:15 PM
Thanks. .Glad you like them