Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moondust
New Member!
Female 

07-06-2017, 03:16 AM

Which breed...?

I plan to browse the local rescue shelters for a small dog. I live in an apartment (which allows small dogs and pets). There is a small yard and park nearby. (I do not plan to have dog off leash.)

Which of the following breeds do you think is best for my living situation?...

- Papillon
- Pomeranian
- Toy Spaniel
- Long-hair Chihuahua
- any "mix" of these...

My main concerns are profuse shedding and *incessant* barking. I have no problem brushing the dog daily, or a little yapping (like "warning" barks). Just nothing extreme.

I purposely listed these breeds because some short-haired dogs make me itch (so their coat must be soft, smooth or silky.)

I also had a back injury when I was younger, so I am not supposed to lift anything more than 10 lbs. (so it must be a lightweight toy breed).

I am looking for a little companion more than anything else. (I am a freelance writer, so my schedule is flexible and the dog would not be left alone for extended periods of time. I would prefer to train him/her to be in a crate though when I am not at home.) I do not have any kids or other pets. (*But I may get a 2nd small dog eventually.)

If you'd like to share your opinion or insight on any of these specific breeds, I would truly appreciate it! Thank you for reading!

(P.S. - I am an experienced dog owner, just not with any of these exact specific breeds.) Thanks again
LizC
New Member!
Female 

14-06-2017, 07:47 PM
Chihuahuas a notorious for being very yappy (I have one) but it depends on the individual dog. Not all chihuahuas fall into the typical stereotype people have of them.

Training does help, but if you have a yapper it is really difficult to keep them quite once something sets them off.

That being said, maybe you should look into a papillon or toy spaniel if you are afraid you might end up with a yappy chihuahua.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Moondust View Post
I plan to browse the local rescue shelters for a small dog. I live in an apartment (which allows small dogs and pets). There is a small yard and park nearby. (I do not plan to have dog off leash.)

Which of the following breeds do you think is best for my living situation?...

- Papillon
- Pomeranian
- Toy Spaniel
- Long-hair Chihuahua
- any "mix" of these...

My main concerns are profuse shedding and *incessant* barking. I have no problem brushing the dog daily, or a little yapping (like "warning" barks). Just nothing extreme.

I purposely listed these breeds because some short-haired dogs make me itch (so their coat must be soft, smooth or silky.)

I also had a back injury when I was younger, so I am not supposed to lift anything more than 10 lbs. (so it must be a lightweight toy breed).

I am looking for a little companion more than anything else. (I am a freelance writer, so my schedule is flexible and the dog would not be left alone for extended periods of time. I would prefer to train him/her to be in a crate though when I am not at home.) I do not have any kids or other pets. (*But I may get a 2nd small dog eventually.)

If you'd like to share your opinion or insight on any of these specific breeds, I would truly appreciate it! Thank you for reading!

(P.S. - I am an experienced dog owner, just not with any of these exact specific breeds.) Thanks again
Get a collie..............
LizC
New Member!
Female 

15-06-2017, 12:58 AM
A collie is too big for an apartment but there is a smaller counterpart, I think they are called shetland sheepdogs, am I correct or is there another type of dog that looks like a miniature collie?
petsforall
New Member!
Male 

15-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Papillon is the best
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by LizC View Post
A collie is too big for an apartment but there is a smaller counterpart, I think they are called shetland sheepdogs, am I correct or is there another type of dog that looks like a miniature collie?
They come in different sizes. I have a near neighbour with a female collie that looks to be about half the size of Max.

CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2017, 10:44 PM
IMO the average Collie, especially a Border Collie, is not suited to life in an apartment.
Also, the OP has stated that she should only lift 10 lbs, which really limits her to toy sized breeds. However, if she really wants to re-home from a shelter, she might have to widen her breed preference as the one most likely to be in rescue is the Chihuahua.
I would suggest keeping an open mind about the breed, visit one or two rescue kennels, and see which of their small dogs you feel most attracted to.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-06-2017, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
IMO the average Collie, especially a Border Collie, is not suited to life in an apartment.
Also, the OP has stated that she should only lift 10 lbs, which really limits her to toy sized breeds. However, if she really wants to re-home from a shelter, she might have to widen her breed preference as the one most likely to be in rescue is the Chihuahua.
I would suggest keeping an open mind about the breed, visit one or two rescue kennels, and see which of their small dogs you feel most attracted to.
You are right of course. My comment about getting a Collie was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Ours, at 34kg, is quite a big chap and needs a lot of exercise and activity.

Living in an apartment would not necessarily preclude that provided there are local parks/woods where the dog could be allowed to run free. AND provided the owner has the time available to do that.

I think more than a few would be dog owners perhaps don't quite appreciate the committment that goes with dog ownership. Yes, maybe some breeds more so than others.

The weight thing......well, I don't actually have to lift my beast at all. But now and again I do. I stand on the scales and check my weight. Pick him up, and get his weight from the difference.
LizC
New Member!
Female 

15-06-2017, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by CaroleC View Post
Why do you say the most likely to be in a shelter is the chihuahua?
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2017, 12:07 AM
Just because they have been so fashionable as 'handbag' dogs over the last few years, a larger number of this breed has been produced. Many of these little characters were denied the opportunity to develop as normal dogs, leading to a variety of behavioural problems.
Also, at least in the UK, the demand for Chihuahuas was largely fulfilled by back yard breeders who bred purely as a source of extra income, and then lost interest when the bubble burst.
I don't know whether the same applies in the US or Canada, but the celeb led cult for handbag dogs seems to have originated in the States.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >