Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LadyTruppen
New Member!
Female 

20-04-2017, 12:43 AM

Dog Destroys Everything.

I have a 2 year old terrier mix, She never chewed a hole in my old comforter I get another cover when she was 1 1/2 thinking okay she has never messed up my old one so I will get a new one, Big Mistake since buying this new comforter she has chewed 5 holes in it. She has destroyed multiple of my cousins toys, One just hours after he gets it, She has chewed some of the couch messing it up and we need a new one bad as its like 20 years old but my moms scared to get one because of Bella, it seems like she has gotten a-lot worse the past 6 months, She eats almost everything, I just don't understand why she never chewed a hole in my old cover but as soon as I get a new comforter she starts. She has slept with me since she was 9 weeks old and never chewed on anything on my bed until about 6 months ago....
perriejinnie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2017, 08:18 AM
Dogs are like that only. My dog used to destroy articles too. But slowly I learned how to protect expensive stuffs from my barking fellow. Give your dog training and teach it that such things are not to be chewed. Second, you should keep your expensive items out of reach from your dog.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2017, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by LadyTruppen View Post
I have a 2 year old terrier mix, She never chewed a hole in my old comforter I get another cover when she was 1 1/2 thinking okay she has never messed up my old one so I will get a new one, Big Mistake since buying this new comforter she has chewed 5 holes in it. She has destroyed multiple of my cousins toys, One just hours after he gets it, She has chewed some of the couch messing it up and we need a new one bad as its like 20 years old but my moms scared to get one because of Bella, it seems like she has gotten a-lot worse the past 6 months, She eats almost everything, I just don't understand why she never chewed a hole in my old cover but as soon as I get a new comforter she starts. She has slept with me since she was 9 weeks old and never chewed on anything on my bed until about 6 months ago....
A couple of things come to mind.
Do you take her out for long walks?
Does she have a selection of her own toys?
Is she left at home on her own for long periods.

In short, do you think she might be bored?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2017, 07:18 AM
This might help.

It’s Mine! – for stealers and munchers!

Teach at home with yummy medium grade reward morsel. Doglet is on lead initially so he can't wander off - bored with listening to you!
Morsel on ground in between your knees (you are sitting on haunches, so you can react quick). If dog goes to take it you must be quicker and pick it up before dog, at the same time saying 'It's mine' (only once). Never use the phrase if you haven't been quick enough, so only use phrase once morsel is in your hand. At no time should the dog ever be allowed to eat the morsel after hearing 'It's mine'

Tone of voice should remain calm and monotonous throughout - not a hint of frustration or anger. This is a learning process not a punishment detail!

After several repetitions, say the phrase 'It's yours' and give the treat to the dog. This is a training aid not a teaser! But they hear a different phrase before having the treat so creating a different association. You could take this further by asking the dog to sit or down or something and then saying it's yours and handing it over, to make a clear difference between when it's yours and when it's theirs. Always reward dog after a few repetitions.

Progress to being able to just hover hand over the treat by it saying 'it's mine' (just once) with dog leaving it.

Progress to not needing to put hand near it but just saying 'It's mine'(still only once) and dog leaving it.

If at any stage during the teaching process the dog turns its back on the treat, or lays down and looks away then the dog gets the biggest fuss ever as this is exactly the response you want. The dog has agreed that it's yours and wants nothing more to do with it. Huge fuss and stop the teaching session at that point - that's the point the dog will remember. Recommence later in the day and see whether they really have got it; if not, keep teaching

Then progress to other higher reward treats. Never use their own toys - they are the dogs not yours after all! But, once taught, you can use the phrase in an emergency if one of their toys is broken and will cause them harm.
Now try it in your garden. You may have to go back a stage or two once outside, but that's fine. It all helps solidify the training.

The ultimate test is when you are in the park. Remind dog within a few mins of arriving, with a tasty treat, of the 'It's mine' rule.
Then if dog goes to eat or starts to eat nasties say 'It's mine'. On correct response reward with treat.
(Of course, if you’re not comfortable claiming ownership of all the nasties in the park, use a different phrase! Not 'Leave it' though as the dog has already learnt to ignore this.)
This also works for dogs who pick up something they shouldn't have in the house - shoes, clothing etc (where retrieve training isn't working) and if the dog has something which it should not bring to you because to do so would be dangerous.

A bright dog will get the idea in a matter of minutes and then it will take only a few days to really get the idea. Some dogs will take longer, but time the teaching sessions so they don't get fed up and always end on a good note - never a duff one. Your dog will remember the last thing they did in that session, stronger than anything else in the session.
uahearn
New Member!
Male 

07-05-2017, 10:07 PM
This dog training expert explains in his article the reasons why dogs like to chew.

Most dogs have a natural desire to chew. It’s fun, it passes the time, and it’s a self-rewarding, self-reinforcing activity..

He mentions six ways to prevent destructive chewing

[*]Take control of the situation
[*]Prevent her from learning the joys of illegal chewing
[*]Don’t set pup up for failure
[*]Provide your dog with lots of tasty alternatives to your stuff
[*]Spend lots of time in active supervision.
[*]When you catch your pup chewing something inappropriate, interrupt pup by making a loud noise

I hope this helps!!
DogTraineratKC
New Member!
Female 

09-05-2017, 12:21 AM
Lady Truppen,

I have a few suggestions for helping with your dog and her destructive habits. Don't leave her unsupervised at home. If you're gone it's best to crate train your dog. This can save her life so she doesn't eat something she can't digest. When you are home I would teach her the place command and have her on place. This is an object, with a border, that she has to stay on until you give her a release command. She can have a bone to chew on there but place is a calm space so no toys that would amp her up. This also makes her work on impulse control, which works her mentally and will tire her out really quickly. I am a dog trainer and own a boarding facility. I have a lot of free training vidoes, like how to train place, at [link removed] if you're interested!