Our sister sites
Our sister sites
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2015, 06:39 PM

Ongoing ear problem - advice please

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can give any advice. My bullmastiff has always had a problem now and then with her ears. Which normally clears quickly with drops. But lately one ear is bothering her continually, I've tried canaural and surolan plus a cleaner. Have also tried Thornit powder. But everything seems to irritate it and make it worse. She has lots of black wax that I clean for her. Some people have suggested diet? She is on Burns and Naturediet. Having her sedated and ear flush is not an option as unfortunately about 5 weeks ago we nearly lost her to a pericardial effusion, caused by a possible tumour on her heart. She is doing really well at the moment but know the tumour could bleed again at anytime. So I am very nervous of doing anything too invasive with her ear, but would just like her comfortable.

Catherine x
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Sorry to hear this .
If it hasnt cleared up as it usually does , she might have something in it . has the vet had a look this time.?
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2015, 07:12 PM
Sorry forgot to say vet has checked, nothing down there but her ear canal is very narrowed.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2015, 07:19 PM
My answer wasn't much help! I hope you get more replies soon.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2015, 07:53 AM
Try a diluted apple cider vinegar and water... sorry to hear about the tumor and hope she will be with you for many more years...
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Try to make sure that she doesn't rub her ear on the carpet or other ground. When out and about put cotton wool in the ear to stop other stuff going in. I suspect that the Thornit may have caused a blockage. This can do that sometimes. Just use a salty solution for now to clean the ear. Then after a couple of days use otodex dog ear cleaner. Hope that helps.
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Thank you for your replies x
Strangechilde
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Hello Streetmutt (awesome name, BTW). Pericardial effusion survivor here. I hope things go well for you with all that. It is really rough on your dog, so of course you want to keep them as comfortable as possible.

One thing you could try is warm pure olive oil. I have used this in my own ears. Just heat it in a little pot, put some in a teaspoon and let it cool until it is comfortable to the touch-- warm, not hot. Tip it gently from the spoon-- don't use a squirter or q-tips. Just tip it in and rub it around from the outside of the ear. It breaks up other oily mess and is very soothing on itchy irritated ears. It might make cleaning easier too. Good luck to you!
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-03-2015, 05:41 PM
I used to be an aromatherapist and I still use essential oils to help with my family's health - including my pets!

Try this blend:-
ONE drop German Chamomile Essential oil
ONE drop Lavender Essential oil
30 mls pure olive oil.

. . in an egg cup.

This blend is anti-inflamatory, antiseptic, antifungal and mildly antibiotic. It's very gentle - you could use this on a newborn!

Warm the blend by standing the egg-cup in a bowl of hot water. If you use a microwave, be VERY careful as they can create hotspots - use short, 10 second bursts, stir thorougly and test repeatedly on your own skin before going ahead.

A wick pulled from a section of cotton-wool and rolled between your fingers can be used in a 'dip and drip' method. Make several cotton-wool wicks before you start. Have them with you, and the blend.

Lay the dog on its side, maybe with its head in your lap, preferably with someone to help hold the dog's head still, and keep things very calm and slow - if the dog has had ear problems for a while, it's likely to be very sensitve to anything happening around the ear! Giving your dog something to chew on will help work the oil down into the ear, and distract the dog, too.

Dip a wick into the blend, and let it soak up the oil. Hold this over the dog's ear-canal and squeeze to let the drops fall in. Use a FRESH wick to 'dip' each time. Repeat several times - it doesnt matter if some of it dribbles around the folds of the ear, in fact it might help soothe the skin here, too.

Do this a couple of times a day (the blend will keep, covered with cling film and away from sunlight, for a week). You shouldn't see any adverse reaction but if you do, stop immediately. If it's working, you should notice an improvement in 3-5 days.

Another tip: if you make a 'snood' (cut the sleeve off an old sweater) for your dog, it will help to prevent cold drafts getting in the ear, and help prevent dirt getting in when your dog scratches at it. More comfy than an e-collar! You can always cut a slit for the unaffected ear if your dog is prick-eared.

Best of luck, I hope it eases up soon, there is nothing worse than ear-ache, especially when it's cold and windy outside!
Esau sends sympathy licks.
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Wow! Thank you Strangechilde and PONlady, I will definitely give them both a go! Strangechilde how long after pericardial effusion did any problems 're occur if at all?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >