View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 01:13 PM
TBH I can't understand why anyone would spend £100+ on a shock collar versus £100+ on a behaviourist

Did you consult an appropriately qualified behaviourist first Gnasher?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I never said that you hadn't researched these collars, again you are putting into my posts what isn't there, I said that I and only I had researched the collars. I do know there is someone else on here that has researched them.
YOU DID ... by insinuation, if not by actual word.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Apologies to anyone whose post I have not responded to - i am at work at the moment and my lb is over so i cannot carry on any more!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Hello Lou - now I know who "Lou" is - I assumed you were Lou Castle.

To answer your last question, I would ignore the law. Ben wears an e collar, it is not used, sometimes he does not wear it at all. There is no need for us to use it because his recall is now perfect.

You would never know he is wearing a collar because he has an extremely heavy double wolf coat - it is hidden beneath his furry neck!!

What would happen if someone DID see that Ben was wearing an e collar and reported us to whoever you report these things to? We would most likely be fined - so what? I care about my dog and his health, wealth and happiness, and would have to cough up - although if OH did not have the controller with him when spotted, then i do not think there would be a case against us. In other words, if it does become illegal, then Ben will wear the collar but we won't have the controller with us.
I don't get that. You would ignore the law, surely if that law were in place you would risk losing your dog and it being PTS

That doesn't make sense to me
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:28 PM

In other words, if it does become illegal, then Ben will wear the collar but we won't have the controller with us.
Well there is no point in him wearing the collar is there? So why is he wearing the collar? Doesn't make any sense to me at all. How much in fines would you be prepared to pay just to put the e-collar on Ben?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:30 PM
For the last time!! We used the e collar to train a recall NOT for the aggression.
You mentioned aggression and training I was responding to that. And you can walk away from the thread at any time or just not answer I did say earlier don't feel you have to answer if it's too personal.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:32 PM
There is no need for us to use it because his recall is now perfect.
I'm probably being a bit thick here but ... if this Electric Shock Collar effected a perfect recall in this dog. What's the problem now?

Surely if it was that effective in training him to perfect recall - any time it looks as if he might be going to kick off or get into trouble you just use that PERFECT RECALL that you achieved with the ELECTRIC SHOCK COLLAR (so perfect that you no longer need to use the Electric Shock Collar)

That's what recall's for isn't it? To make sure your dog comes back to you instead of going off to do whatever it wants to do and ignoring you recalling it?

Or does this perfect recall achieved by electric shocks only work when there is nothing else about that takes his attention (like black labradors?)

A little while ago I read you walk your dog with this that and the other and it is TIED ROUND YOUR BODY too? I am truly confused as to how well trained the dog is if all these precautions have to be taken.

And very baffled how you are going to use this aggressive black labrador (when you get the time to do it).
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Absolutely not - because Ben won't kick off with a calm dog.

n.
So what will be the plan of action , Bens going to kick off the Lab will too presumably , so as CM says the red mist will descend on both dogs, I would be interested to hear your solution to redirect Ben.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
TBH I can't understand why anyone would spend £100+ on a shock collar versus £100+ on a behaviourist

Did you consult an appropriately qualified behaviourist first Gnasher?
Yup!! THREE
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2013, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
So what will be the plan of action , Bens going to kick off the Lab will too presumably , so as CM says the red mist will descend on both dogs, I would be interested to hear your solution to redirect Ben.
No, the red mist will not descend because we will be there in control of him. The red mist only descends when the dog has been allowed to get into that state in the first place.

I will be there acting as a block between the 2 dogs, who to start with will be on opposite sides of the road in our village. We will be walking up one side with Ben on the lead and on the inside, and the BL will be walking towards us on the other side of the road on the inside, with his owner. My guess is that Ben will ignore the BL because we will keep him walking forwards and focussing on us. The confrontation will come when we are walking parallel with only a few feet between us.

If this happens, I will block Ben off from his line of vision so that he can no longer see the BL. I will get him to sit down, so that then I have something positive that I can praise him for - maybe with a piece of raw meat or liver. But ONLY if he is calm and sitting. If we can keep him focussed on us, and our commands, and not the BL, then the red mist won't descend.
Page 22 of 44 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 > Last »