Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
After doing some research on the subject(actually ashamed of my ignorance) There is so much proven scientific evidence in support of badgers. Am actually horrified.In Ireland were I'm from badgers have been culled to the brink of extinction and yet the Btb rates in cattle are twice as high!
And is the control and/or testing over there as strict as it is here??? Is the spread and livestock culling and control being implemented as strictly? Its easy to spread the disease once its present, its the Badgers that make it a damn sight worse spreading over huge distances as they move around. With their increasing numbers over here its spreading further and further as the environment cant sustain the growing population.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Wonder where their stock come from??

Mostly bred on the island , very few imported
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
Really? Thats very surprising because of the inbreeding etc.. Id be most amazed in fact.
AI wouldnt be feasible on such a small scale Im told, so that actually has left me with something to think about. I know my friend who has lost many to bTB (only since Badgers came onto her land) has exported there (Jerseys) I must ask her about it, she is into all that stuff! Shows them too.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Mostly how many does it take
spot
Dogsey Veteran

01-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
That clearly shows which camp YOU have your feet firmly in then - I could have guessed

Nothing dangerous at all at PREVENTING a marksman being able to pull the trigger. After all, if he is a professional marksman - which I sincerely hope they would be, else there are going to be a lot of seriously injured badgers roaming around, something I would not wish to contemplate if only for the safely to the general public and their dogs - then he would not pull the trigger at all if:-

a) there were people in the area demonstrating against the cull

b) he couldn't see because of the light blinding him
Actually no, most of those being used for killing badgers have no experience of shooting free running animals, but who cares? Most of those people wouldnt give a monkeys if its a clean kill or not. A dead badger is a dead badger a seriously injured one will soon be dead anyway.

What I dont get is if they are such a dangerous animal to us humans why not kill them all and be done with it same goes for foxes - or would that spoil some people fun?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 11:43 AM
I don't know how to post a link to this but,
Some of you may be interested to watch a short film by David Attenborough called 'stop the cull'.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Really? Thats very surprising because of the inbreeding etc.. Id be most amazed in fact.
AI wouldnt be feasible on such a small scale Im told, so that actually has left me with something to think about. I know my friend who has lost many to bTB (only since Badgers came onto her land) has exported there (Jerseys) I must ask her about it, she is into all that stuff! Shows them too.
AI just as frequently used on the Isle of man as here
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 12:08 PM
AI just as frequently used on the Isle of man as here
LOL! I bet it is!!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 12:11 PM
LOL! I bet it is!!
Son in law owns a farm there
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I too think it is totally irresponsible to suggest to people that they get out there at night and try to interfere with the cull.

The National March Against the Badger Cull will take place on Saturday 1st June 2013 (today) in central London.

Far more sensible to have been publicising that all over and encouraging those who feely strongly enough to get out there and join the protest.

This row has been raging for many years and I do sometimes wonder how 'active' some of those vehemently opposing it now have been during that time. Bit late to start demonstrating about it now.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >