Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
try that where I used to live and chances are you'd find yourself beaten to within an inch of your life. Either by the kid and their friends or by the kids parents, depends on the age of the kids.

When I was a teen we responded far, far better to someone coming out of their house and asking us nicely to move along coz we were waking the baby up or whatever than to those who came out ranting and raving. These days it doesn't seem to matter how you ask, you'll get a mouthful of abuse at least and probably a broken window or a nice long scratch or two along your car.
Well, I have also had words with parents and caregivers. I have also had my windows smashed and my car scratched.
Saying nothing didnt work. Shouting didnt work either. What I mentioned, surprising as it may be, did. But then I didnt say that speaking to every child, in every situation is going to get you instant results either. (and sometimes being tactical did work )
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Because these are generally the kids whose parents WON'T buy them proper uniform for whatever reason (sometimes money's tight, sometimes money's... ahem... misdirected, sometimes they just know the school will see them right anyway - I've known far far too many teachers actually end up feeding and clothing kids in their class out of their OWN pocket - not school funds, but their kids' old clothes, or stuff they've bought in the sales themselves to keep in school because they know this is what happens).

Sometimes there's such bad attendance anyway - it's a case of tactically ignoring it and trying not to put the family OFF getting their kid into school a bit more - you do it a bit at a time, first you get them through the door, then you gently start prodding for them to remember to bring their reading books to and fro, then you might hand them a school jumper "to stop his own clothes getting mucky and save you a bit of washing" and try to gradually softly-softly move them more into line - but with families like that, often it's not even baby-steps, it's baby tip-toes because if you come in hard with the "he's not wearing proper uniform" you can scare the parent in particular off ever getting into the school at all and either end up with absences through the roof - or a parent that dumps and runs each morning or just sends them to get themselves to school on their own.

Sometimes it's money and then generally school uniform jumpers discreetly find their way into the school bag to go home out of outgrown ones or abandoned lost property from last year.

Sometimes it's parents' own issues with school, authority and uniform coming to the fore - rebellion by proxy or however you want to see that.

Sometimes it's just three weeks till the end of term and I ain't going to bug anyone to buy a new pair of "uniform" shoes when the odds are they'll be outgrown by the first week in September (and I've taken a TONNE of flack from a head for my stance on this in the past)!
The thing is I actually agree with you there. but this is why I think tarring people as 'bad' or 'good' or thinking punishment etc first dosn't always work and you yourself have witnessed that too going by this post.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 02:23 PM
dizzi;
Sometimes it's parents' own issues with ...uniform coming to the fore - rebellion by proxy or however you want to see that.
thats not the only reason.
it can also might be due to some view school uniform as an odd idea, that doesnt hold any logic outside of british tradition.

Economy willing, i am hoping by the time my half danish baby is of school age to be living back in denmark, for the 2 reasons the standard of education and discipline and safety of schools is far superior to the Uk, whilst at the same time she wont have to wear a silly uniform.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 02:45 PM
havent read all through the posts sorry, but thought id tell u what just happened to my hubby. we live in essex, and he had to go to leytonstone high road, all went well untill it was time for to leave, headed off towards the large up in the air roundabout towards the A127 charlie was on his motorbike only a small 250 plod along, and he noticed a car right on his rear wheel pushing him along. and he had to go thtough a red light on the roundabout, if he had stopped this car would of hit him as the driver just wasnt slowing down. the car shot around charlie and when it got level to him he noticed it was full of black youths laughing at him, and what worried him was 1 was making a gun shooting sign at him. they also went on to call him all sorts of names.he said the attitude has changed in that area, he felt very uncomfortable, so guess we wont be going there for a long while.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
it can also might be due to some view school uniform as an odd idea, that doesnt hold any logic outside of british tradition.

Economy willing, i am hoping by the time my half danish baby is of school age to be living back in denmark, for the 2 reasons the standard of education and discipline and safety of schools is far superior to the Uk, whilst at the same time she wont have to wear a silly uniform.
What happens if the profession she goes into insists she wears a silly uniform.

Uniforms at school in its own way performs a function, it instills discipline , respect , along with preventing the lesser well of feeling inferior to those who have the best /designer clothes.

Cost wise , its far cheaper in your yearly outlay for clothes for school.

I think a school uniform (and how the children wear it) will tell you how well the schools ethos/discipline is upheld.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
What happens if the profession she goes into insists she wears a silly uniform.

Nothing. If she wants the job, she would probably wear it.
I dont understand the connection?

Uniforms at school in its own way performs a function, it instills discipline , respect ,

How and why? I dont see the connection?
Not being funny, i actually dont.
As i said, i want my daughter to go to school in denmark but the schools have a culture of discipline, respect AND not wearing uniforms.
See my post 416 which demonstrates a culture that is non-school uniforms yet has well behaved young people, yet another that also is non-school uniform based and has british style feral youth problem. So the prescence or abscence isnt a determining factor in discipline etc, its culture.

along with preventing the lesser well of feeling inferior to those who have the best /designer clothes.

Thats a problem in the culture of our society.
Kids in the inner cities can be shot in the Uk for not wearing the 'correct clothes'

Cost wise , its far cheaper in your yearly outlay for clothes for school.

That could be true, but some schools fix it so uniforms go waay beynd the simple white short and black trousers which you can buy cheaply anywhere. Some make you buy allsorts but only from one (expensive) supplier.
And if we didnt have a culture that values materialism, greed, celebrity, and labels so highly, kids could wear any old inexpensive everyday casual clothes

I think a school uniform (and how the children wear it) will tell you how well the schools ethos/discipline is upheld.
how and why again?
(ditto my post 416)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 03:21 PM
it can also be due to some view school uniform as an odd idea, that doesnt hold any logic outside of british tradition.
Disagree. The uniform brings a form of discipline and order and you can't tell at a glance which child has rich parents and which comes from a poor background so giving every child in the school equality.

Sorry, but kids with spikey orange hair, studs in noses, tongues, ears and anywhere else they can think of and wearing clothes that look as though they have been slept in for a month despite their designer labels to me begs disorder in the classroom.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2011, 03:34 PM
how and why again?
(ditto my post 416)
the connection being, you think school uniforms are silly, so I wondered on your opinions on other types of conformity (uniforms) , as I assumed you may have a aversion to then....becuase I cant see why you would call them "silly"!

I completey disagree, they instill values in children that for many may not have any, they do stop any feeling of inadequacy from the have not to the haves. they instill discipline and for many children will be one of the few time sin their lives where they realise they "cant do as they like

I also disagree, that uniforms can be more expensive than every day clothes, even the expensive ones... my children went to a school that had a large uniform and beleive me, costing that out against the amount of clothes I would have had to buy for two over a year for school, its far cheaper,

Not forgotten many schools have swap shops for the very purpose of your argument... passing on blazers , sports wear and anything that is in good enough condition, which again keeps the cost down.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 03:37 PM
There`s a really interesting article in today`s Telegraph that I picked up on the train this afternoon.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...e-rioters.html
It`s from the head of a secondary school in Hackney, that is succeeding amazingly. Have a look at the methods.
They are what was normal practice when I was at school.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Have to admit there are schools which make you buy their embroidered shirts, ties, sweatshirts and gym wear which is more expensive.
Page 43 of 47 « First < 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 > Last »