View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Ok, that didn't work, how do i reply to different bits of one post????
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2011, 01:38 PM
The easiest way is to quote the other post and type your reply under the relevant bit but highlight your reply in a different colour
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Just lately Jake and Ailsa have been having what I would call 'slight disagreements.' He has been launching himself at her in the garden quite roughly - she clearly doesn't like it and with her dodgy hips I don't either. He knocked her over a couple of weeks ago and she limped afterwards. Also they fell out big time over a pink frisby the other week and went into real fight mode, which stunned me. I think Ailsa just got fed up with him and decided to stand her corner. Now I ensure they leave each other alone at meal times and I do nip any bullying behaviour from his lordship in the bud. I am also careful about the 'sharing' of throw toys.....I don't know why it's started either but the replies have been interesting and pretty much confirm what I've been doing and thinking. Hope you get your two sorted out.x
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
The easiest way is to quote the other post and type your reply under the relevant bit but highlight your reply in a different colour
Thankyou, i should know by now. Also how do i just take sentences out of a paragraph if i just want to quote 1 sentance?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I quote the post and delete any bits that I don't want, just make sure you don't delete the brackets etc
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Another difficult one! In this house just "a look" would suffice, and I'd go so far as to say neither dog would even think about taking something off the other when walking into a room like that.

In those circumstances, if it were ME, which it isn't I know that, I would have given Rex and "oi", see if he looked up at me and wagged a tail and hopefully then stopped the growling, that would be enough for me, but if I didn't get a response like that, then I'm afraid I'd have to take the chew off him. Same would go for Duke if he even tried to approach Rex with the chew, he'd get the same "oi" from me, just to let him know that he is in the wrong!

It's just a case of being very "aware" and stepping in when you have to, before, all the growling starts quite honestly. If you've left them to it in the past, then of course, they have their own mechanisms for stopping each other from taking what is rightfully theirs, so it's much better if you can educate them first, however you choose to do it.
So if one gets too close then do i allow them to growl to tell each other to back off?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by kirsty_ View Post
So if one gets too close then do i allow them to growl to tell each other to back off?
Sometimes yes, but then it can also be a big no-no too!!

The scenario you pictured about Duke coming into the room, Rex growls, just to warn, Duke respects that and moves away, that's good, but of course in your situation it's completely different to the experience I can talk of, whereby I would have to use my "oi" same as Trouble, and I would do exactly what Trouble has said there too, I would pick up another chew and tell Duke "here's yours" and then leave them be. It's all so different at yours though from what I can gather, so you're going to have to watch avidly and assess each situation for yourself I think. I quick, soft growl is acceptable, then you take it from there, give a sharp "oi" if Rex takes it further and if he doesn't listen or Duke doesn't listen you have to step in, somebody has to be in charge don't they and far better it's you than Rex (I don't think Duke wants to be somehow).

You asked me about the bed thing. Yes I did allow that, purely for the fact that the dog ON the bed had been here her entire life, Georgie hadn't, he was new, he had to learn the rules, but from her initially, so I let her growl at him, he was the submissive type, so he knew never to get on the bed when she was up there. Months down the line, he did actually dare to get up there, but she did the usual swish of her tail, face turned away and stomped off, but that was good enough for me! They're like kids really, not that I have any experience of those, but I do have experience of having two dogs together most of my life.

It sounds to me like Rex and Duke only tolerate each other rather than being best buddies, and I doubt you'll ever change that Kirsty, all you can hope to do is have harmony between the pair of them. They need their own space, their own toys/chews, and need to be left alone to enjoy them in their own space, so somehow, you have to educate both of them, that invading the other dog's space is not acceptable in your house. Bullying is not acceptable either, one dog trying to be dominant over the other is not going to work because if Duke is retaliating (you say copying I say retaliating lol!) it means he's not going to be submissive so the only way out is carnage and you don't want that do you.

I've never had a terrier, but Rex seems to be a fiesty, independent little guy, he needs to know that when push comes to shove, it's you who is in charge. He doesn't seem to have many boundaries at the moment, he doesn't look to you for much from what you say when you're out with him, so he kind of does his own thing doesn't he, and if he can get away with threatening Duke for just about everything then he will. I think Trouble has summed it all up brilliantly in her last post about how she goes about things, and that's just how it is around here if I needed it to be like that, but of course, boundaries were set long, long ago, and always have been with a new puppy, so I never ended up with this kind of situation.

I will emphasize, there are times when dogs are allowed to warn the other one off, but a warning is a warning and just that (soft and short), the other dog should always respect it IF it's doing something wrong, and if not, well, IMO you definitely have to reprimand the one who is, before they take charge themselves.

I know you say Rex isn't interested in his favourite toy when out and about, but try and tempt him, play with him, try and make yourself the focus and fun of his walk, you will build up a stronger bond and that will pay off in dividends with whatever you do/say to him at home I'm sure. All the best, this is not easy for you I know that, hope I've been of some help, and Trouble has been excellent help to you
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 05:17 PM
There are many ways to defuse a situation and consequently change behaviour.
It is easy to unwittingly make a tense situation worse because we don`t speak dog. That`s why I tend to err on the side of avoidance / prevention.
I think if I had two dogs getting upset, I`d possibly train them to go to a different space? That`s different from putting one out, or sending one away. It`s a positive move.
Shamus sometimes gets very upset if Raz gets close to him. (Shamus is tense around entire males). So I usually tell Shamus to hop on the sofa, or pop him in the dog bed out of Razzle`s way. Shamus feels happy to be in a soft spot and is able to relax as he is `safe`.
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sometimes yes, but then it can also be a big no-no too!!

The scenario you pictured about Duke coming into the room, Rex growls, just to warn, Duke respects that and moves away, that's good, but of course in your situation it's completely different to the experience I can talk of, whereby I would have to use my "oi" same as Trouble, and I would do exactly what Trouble has said there too, I would pick up another chew and tell Duke "here's yours" and then leave them be. It's all so different at yours though from what I can gather, so you're going to have to watch avidly and assess each situation for yourself I think. I quick, soft growl is acceptable, then you take it from there, give a sharp "oi" if Rex takes it further and if he doesn't listen or Duke doesn't listen you have to step in, somebody has to be in charge don't they and far better it's you than Rex (I don't think Duke wants to be somehow).

You asked me about the bed thing. Yes I did allow that, purely for the fact that the dog ON the bed had been here her entire life, Georgie hadn't, he was new, he had to learn the rules, but from her initially, so I let her growl at him, he was the submissive type, so he knew never to get on the bed when she was up there. Months down the line, he did actually dare to get up there, but she did the usual swish of her tail, face turned away and stomped off, but that was good enough for me! They're like kids really, not that I have any experience of those, but I do have experience of having two dogs together most of my life.

It sounds to me like Rex and Duke only tolerate each other rather than being best buddies, and I doubt you'll ever change that Kirsty, all you can hope to do is have harmony between the pair of them. They need their own space, their own toys/chews, and need to be left alone to enjoy them in their own space, so somehow, you have to educate both of them, that invading the other dog's space is not acceptable in your house. Bullying is not acceptable either, one dog trying to be dominant over the other is not going to work because if Duke is retaliating (you say copying I say retaliating lol!) it means he's not going to be submissive so the only way out is carnage and you don't want that do you.

I've never had a terrier, but Rex seems to be a fiesty, independent little guy, he needs to know that when push comes to shove, it's you who is in charge. He doesn't seem to have many boundaries at the moment, he doesn't look to you for much from what you say when you're out with him, so he kind of does his own thing doesn't he, and if he can get away with threatening Duke for just about everything then he will. I think Trouble has summed it all up brilliantly in her last post about how she goes about things, and that's just how it is around here if I needed it to be like that, but of course, boundaries were set long, long ago, and always have been with a new puppy, so I never ended up with this kind of situation.

I will emphasize, there are times when dogs are allowed to warn the other one off, but a warning is a warning and just that (soft and short), the other dog should always respect it IF it's doing something wrong, and if not, well, IMO you definitely have to reprimand the one who is, before they take charge themselves.

I know you say Rex isn't interested in his favourite toy when out and about, but try and tempt him, play with him, try and make yourself the focus and fun of his walk, you will build up a stronger bond and that will pay off in dividends with whatever you do/say to him at home I'm sure. All the best, this is not easy for you I know that, hope I've been of some help, and Trouble has been excellent help to you
thanks for all the advice from you, trouble and everyone else its greatly appreciated!
I think you have summed rex up there. His first owner took him back to where he was from (my neighbour) because he was a b*g*er, thats how i got him, his mum then attacked him and he was handed over the fence to me and i begged my step dad if i could have him. A year or so later the neighbour took his mum to a rescue as she was being nasty with them.
they have just been for a walk together and i couldn't get rex's attention but will keep trying, hes not like this in the house just when out and about, he just wants to sniff and pee everywhere whereas duke wants to interact with us.
I'll put into action whats beeen suggested and see how it goes. thanks again
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
There are many ways to defuse a situation and consequently change behaviour.
It is easy to unwittingly make a tense situation worse because we don`t speak dog. That`s why I tend to err on the side of avoidance / prevention.
I think if I had two dogs getting upset, I`d possibly train them to go to a different space? That`s different from putting one out, or sending one away. It`s a positive move.
Shamus sometimes gets very upset if Raz gets close to him. (Shamus is tense around entire males). So I usually tell Shamus to hop on the sofa, or pop him in the dog bed out of Razzle`s way. Shamus feels happy to be in a soft spot and is able to relax as he is `safe`.
im going to put another bed in the living room so thery can have their own space but still be in the room with us.
Do you think i should let them go to whichever bed they want or make one dukes and one rex's?
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >