View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 02:59 PM
As Cesar said on the night, your not gonna get a Rottwieller off mauling some kid with a cookie, some times my methods have to be harsh !
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
As Cesar said on the night, your not gonna get a Rottwieller off mauling some kid with a cookie, some times my methods have to be harsh !
was he trying to justify his methods? sounds like it. Silly man.

I get probably more annoyed about this singularly silly comment than anything else that he says.

Of course if a dog was actually mauling a child, you do not wave a cookie- you do whatever it takes to stop it.

The point remains that very aggressive dogs can be turned aorund using methods such as APBC or APDT members use - ie, yes cookies and if anyone truly understands good training, they will know how this is done, and they will know about how dogs learn, about conditioning and so on.

Also it is very important to realise that harsh training is far more likely to make dogs attack children or adults - whereas reward based training can produce well mannered, friendly, trusting dogs (and can turn around problem dogs, eg food guarders, problems with aggression, etc)

It does make me so mad that CM is spouting what is basically rubbish, founded on more rubbish.. He's short changing his audience and treating them like idiots, but he can get away with it because they aer pet owners and not behaviourists or trainers he is talking to

Wys
x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Oh dear, that comment just shows he understands nothing about positive training

Your not gonna get the dog to stop mauling the child with a cookie

You are going to make the dog realise that children are nice and dont need to be mauled in the first place
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
And doesn't that just say it all!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Well, I have just found out that one of my best friends is taking me to see him on Sunday night. I am looking forward to it and going with an open mind.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 09:30 AM
I went last night. It was the final night of his tour and I found it very good.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Glad you enjoyed. So what did he do? What did you come away with?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 10:04 AM
I came away with having had a good laugh, he was very entertaining, some tips on how to be around my dogs (if I so wish) , a glossy tour programme and a mug, they had nice t shirts but not in my small size.
Nlulu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I went last night too and having mixed opinions beforehand I have to say it was entertaining and the messages he put across were good ones. Im not for a second saying that this should excuse some of the behaviour seen on various clips etc but if people went away from that seminar deciding to be calm around their dogs instead of frustrated and angry when they dont do what the owner wants then that surely should be a good thing.
Not every dog owner is like people on here who do research and educate them selves on dog training.....I know lots of people who have dogs that have never done any real training with them so if these people learn that shouting at the dog gets them no where and being calm and patient works better it should be appreciated that he is helping in some way.
He never once advocated kicking or choking the dogs and in his demonstration of walking a dog he only used two fingers (very large boxer too) so again all these people who yank their dogs around might have taken something good away from that too.
I do think his show is dramatised and he obviously has used quick fixes in some of them which I dont aplaud at all but his general message seems to be calm patient and dont fuss your dogs when they are displaying behaviour that isnt what you want....
I always use positive training methods but I have to admit the seminar really gave me added boost to remember my patience. His demonstration of feeding a dog only once it was calm also helped me as my puppy will happily go into his crate and wait for his food but the excitement level is increasing as he gets older and I realised even tho I have trained him to go into the crate when his food is ready I am still rewarding his excitement which is now turning feeding times into more of a frenzy (might be in crate but whining and dancing on the spot isnt ideal and winds mt older dog up too) anyway I just wanted to give you all a insight into how I saw it and say I still have mixed feelings about his methods on the show but I think for the uneducated dog owners out there he might have just made them think before they yell or get angry x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2010, 11:06 AM
It might just be easier to feed your dog earlier? Or split into
2 or 3 meals so he`s not so frantic. Not everything is `behavioural`!
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >