Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Can I just ask something else, what is the difference between a 'normal' slaughter and a 'halal' slaughter, I watched a programme where this woman would only buy halal meat...?
Halal and kosher come to that has to be done by a priest and there is no stunning or there didn't used to be ,to be gruesome they just held them down and slit their throats and its all to do with religion, during slaughter normally the animals are stunned either using an electric shock or in more modern slaughter houses C02, in CO2 stunning they are walked on to what can only be described as a large wheel and they are then put through a chamber with the CO2 in it when they come out the other side they are unconcious.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
Halal slaughter is where the animal's throat is slit and it bleeds to death, and animals have to be slaughtered in that way to be considered edible according to Islamic law. I think the same or similar goes for Kosher meat too. There was some talk about it becoming mandatory for the animals to be stunned first as they are with regular meat, but I'm not sure if that ever went through.
It did for Halal not sure about Kosher, as an aside most of the people that are employed in the lairage are women, this is because they don't stress the animals as much, no one wants to slaughter a stressed animal as it effects the quality of the meat.

As i said before i used to be vegetarian before i started to work in the industry and saw for myself, the amount of legislation and just how it was done
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Halal and kosher come to that has to be done by a priest and there is no stunning or there didn't used to be ,to be gruesome they just held them down and slit their throats and its all to do with religion, during slaughter normally the animals are stunned either using an electric shock or in more modern slaughter houses C02, in CO2 stunning they are walked on to what can only be described as a large wheel and they are then put through a chamber with the CO2 in it when they come out the other side they are unconcious.

I wouldn't have anything to do with a religon which dictated animals should be killed in such an inhumane manner . it should not be allowed in this country . It's bad enough the usual way of killing them .
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I wouldn't have anything to do with a religon which dictated animals should be killed in such an inhumane manner . it should not be allowed in this country . It's bad enough the usual way of killing them .
Be careful what you say Fernsmum, I said just the same thing at work a few years ago and an Asian colleague tried to have me disciplined!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Just like every other country in the world our country SHOULD be allowed to have it's own rules
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-02-2010, 05:55 PM
And it does have it's own rules

Kosher and halal meat - those animals have to be stunned too now (not that that makes eating meat any better! )
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
And it does have it's own rules

Kosher and halal meat - those animals have to be stunned too now (not that that makes eating meat any better! )
Do they? Doesnt that apply too animals over 5kg only? and of course in the back gardens of people who do it regularly will be ignored completely.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-02-2010, 06:23 PM
I don't know if there are any weight limitations tbh. However the one thing I would say IS better about halal and kosher meat is that as it's the priests who are doing it they are less likely to accept diseased or ill-looking animals.

But like I said - not that that makes eating meat any better. The only way you can be 100% sure the meat is safe and not been subjected to cruelty is by farming it yourself.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I knew I shouldn't have posted first thing in the morning, knowing I wouldn't be back on till now.

First of all the 'true' part of my post meant someone who was almost born with it in them (to be veggie that is). I agree a true vegetarian is also someone who does not eat any animals or animals by products. I wont confirm that I do not see myself as a true vegetarian as I'm sure none of you thought I was claiming to be one

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
eh???? why not? its not a religion

i didnt eat meat for 15years (fish either) so was i never a 'true veggie'
and no Pidge i dont need to justify anything to myself...if i fancy something i will eat it,if i dont i wont.
See above re my definition of the term 'true' in my post.

Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
It is the comment about how all vegetarians only do it for their own self satisfaction that leads me to that conclusion!! I have no issue with anyone starting to eat meat again if they want to and happily agree eat what you want but then don't say I am only veggie for that reason! I eat what I too just doesn't include meat. There's no smugness or self satisfaction involved!
Very good point.

Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Agree with you, I don't feel self satisfied.. I am a veggie, simply because I don't like the taste or feel of meat and never have really. I don't eat it and don't hanker after it at all... I feed my dogs raw meat, my parents eat meat, but I don't feel the need to do so... I eat what I like and that is not meat. But I don't really care if someone likes meat and eats it, everyone has their own choices to make
Agree. I have no opinion either way but then I have no right to have one.

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
A true vegetarian doesn't consume ANY animal products for which the animal had to die to produce. No non-veggie wine, cheese, the lot.
A true veggie does not eat fish or shellfish as they had to die. Those people are pescatarians.... or the conveniently undecided
I was a true, strict ovo-lacto vegetarian, ie I ate eggs and dairy, the sort that is generally meant by 'vegetarian'.

The biggest hypocrites are veggies who do eat fish or shellfish and still call themselves vegetarians..... or drink wine, cheese, yoghurt or all the other things with dead animal products in.

I don't need to justify what I eat. I eat what I want. I am answering the question as to why I eat meat.... and am also trying to show the main reason a lot of people who are true veggies (not the 'I'm a vegetarian but I do eat prawns brigade')don't eat meat, that they feel better for not eating it.

It's like veggies who say they don't eat meat as they don't like the taste. Well about all those other animal products that you don't even taste, the rennet, the gelatin, the blood powder in wine. If you are a veggie and you consume those then why?.... and if you don't again, why, because it can't be because you just don't like the taste. It's because you don't like the idea of where it comes from because of how it is produced and as such feel better, ie get self satisfaction, from not eating it, ie you would feel bad eating it. Not because you don't like the taste, not because you are allergic or for other health reasons, purely because not eating it makes you feel better, gives you self satisfaction.

Note the phrase 'self righteous' has never been used by me, a bit of word twisting going on here me thinks.

*Puts the toys back in the pram*
Chomping at the bit or what. I actually thought about putting a disclaimer at the end of my post that I wasn't being critical of you, just using your situation as an example but I didn't bother as assumed you would see that. Obviously not.

My point was generally that I believe people who called themselves vegetarians and who now eat meat weren't 'true' vegetarians and perhaps see vegetarianism differently now as they happily eat meat.

Re: the pescetarianism bit - yep, that's me but I never say it because no one ever knows what it means and saying I'm veggie (and happily confessing to eating fish) is alot easier than me saying ''well, I don't eat any meat, but I eat all types of seafood. I also eat fish but I don't like anything with a steaky texture like tuna and I like my fish to be well done. I love parmesan cheese but can by funny about eggs.''

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I have to say, I admire those who do it for the animals, its easy to be vegie if you dont like the taste/texture of meat, but if you do love meat and give it up on principle, then thats a bit harder to me.
Me too and actually I wish I could. I am slowly going off the fish thing because of things I'm seeing and hearing but it's hard to stop something you love hugely!

Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
I eat meat becaus eI like the taste and because imo humans are designed to be omnivores ( I know a lot has changed since we were designed and there have been advances in what is readily available)

I used to work locally delivering from the slaughter house to butchers and I choose meat from Butchers I know buy from farms where welfare is important and care is taken in transportation etc.

I was brought up in a family where my dad went fishing and shooting and regularly helped him pluck and skin, my last partner went out shooting regularly and meat was often hanging in the shed.

I much prefer my meat to be already prepared, but if I had to I could and would.

I am also a bit confused about vegetarians who say they don't eat meat because of welfare issues but will eat fish and shellfish (as farming/catching of those and sometimes cooking of those is hideously cruel) or consume other products which contain animal derivatives. Thats fine if you don't eat meat because you don't like it but imo isn't fine if you don't eat meat on grounds of welfare.

At the end ofthe day each to their own but I personally eat meat because I like it and I use other animal products as I think as little as possible should be wasted as at the end of the day an animal has died (and by that very statement has in most cases, sadly, undergone some degree of suffering)
I don't think anyone who eats fish and wears leather can call themselves a 'real' vegetarian.

Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Totally agree,

but I am surprised that there are a lot of people who do take the stand they say they are vegetarian, and they themselves use that term, or they say I don't eat meat as I don't like the way animals are treated etc, which are imo good enough reasons to not eat meat but they will eat fish shellfuish and use products containing other animal derivatives and I just wonder do they not think there is still an element of suffering.

true vegetarians who have nothing to do with animal products and have chosen that way of life as an ethical stance are different to those who will choose which types of living creatures are to be subjected to low standards of welfare
See above for my personal view on that one. But I agree with you.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Be careful what you say Fernsmum, I said just the same thing at work a few years ago and an Asian colleague tried to have me disciplined!
No way! I hope you are joking!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I don't know if there are any weight limitations tbh. However the one thing I would say IS better about halal and kosher meat is that as it's the priests who are doing it they are less likely to accept diseased or ill-looking animals.

But like I said - not that that makes eating meat any better. The only way you can be 100% sure the meat is safe and not been subjected to cruelty is by farming it yourself.
People in their homes do it though Azz, no priests, no nothing. Its ok taking animals that "look" ok, but unless its certified and checked, who really knows?

Dont forget all the "raids" on people keeping these animals in awful conditions, Goats, Sheep tied up unable to move, chickens crammed in wire baskets etc... They are no saints believe me. They are allowed to operate outside the law, they shouldnt be.
Page 14 of 25 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 > Last »