Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Can you soak some of his food and freeze it in something---also maybe goats milk yoghurt would be OK? That freezes well.

rune
Yep, I soak his food in water in a kong activity ball and he has one of those a day (for whatever reason ;o)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 10:05 PM
I'd do more of those if he works on them. Its hard when they can't have things. I'd try a middling marrow bone and take most of the marrow out. I'd also be very careful to swop it or move him before trying to get it back!

If he copes with it you can leave the marrow in sometimes.

rune
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Cant you see how cows ears would be with his stomach. They are very mild on the stomach and not as hrad and fatty as the pigs ears.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 07:58 AM
do you feed him before or after a walk?? i would try feeding him after but give him it in some sort of puzzle toy so he has to work for it, and keep him occupied
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 09:43 AM
I'd do more of those if he works on them. Its hard when they can't have things. I'd try a middling marrow bone and take most of the marrow out. I'd also be very careful to swop it or move him before trying to get it back!

If he copes with it you can leave the marrow in sometimes.

rune
Do you mean in terms of agression? Also, what's 'middling''? I'm a veggie and haven't a clue about these things. Our local farm store sells filled and un-filled marrow bones, was wondering about trying one of those?

Originally Posted by valandra View Post
Cant you see how cows ears would be with his stomach. They are very mild on the stomach and not as hrad and fatty as the pigs ears.
It's still a protein source though and I think that's what they think causes the various re-actions in his tummy Purdy. Poor little chap, it's so boring for him and hard for us!

Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
do you feed him before or after a walk?? i would try feeding him after but give him it in some sort of puzzle toy so he has to work for it, and keep him occupied
We always feed him an hour+ after a walk Lizzy. I will definitely try settling him down on his bed after a walk with a bone or kong though, I think that's a great idea.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I'd get middle raw marrow bones from the butcher and take the marrow out. You'll end up with a long bit of bone with two open ends---does that make sense?

Yes I did mean re aggression when taking them away. Most dogs really like them.

Who said it was protein causing the problem with his tummy? Has he been tested or was it a vet guessing?

The ears often cause runny tummies, I tend to ignore the odd runny ones but Etta was different, she'd have died had I carried on feeding the Autkary (SP) I think it was the maize in it. She is on Burns now and has titbits of anything not too full of cereals. Sometimes she is a bit runny/soft but not desperate (is this too much information?)!!

I might try to add bits of things, if it is protein carrots, cabbage, apples etc. You can stuff bananas into kongs.

rune
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 10:18 AM
He sounds overtired to me, Etta gets like that. She will settle on a marrow bone sometimes.

rune
Rune said exactly what I was thinking when I read your post.

Ramble made a good point....do abit of road walking before taking him back in, abit like exercise at the gym...warm up, exercise, then cooling down period.

Plus I do agree with the stroking/soothing, this can sometimes have the opposite effect and irritate.

Here the dogs have one bed...in the kitchen, when they have been out we just open the kitchen door and they go straight to thier bed and we ignore them them so they just settle.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Taken from the 'how would handle this' thread

Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Fancy a trip to Oxfordshire? Woody still does frustration biting. He has a soft mouth now and stops when we tell him sternly ''no biting'', but he still does it.

We've gone back to puppy basics with him and everytime he gives the look, or makes that little sound he does we shove a toy in his mouth, Mini Phoebe is a true star.

He also still goes to bite when he's been naughty on the bed or the sofa and we try to get him off. Unfortunately this is learnt behaviour form my stubborn husband being physical (not harmful, but physical) with him rather than standing his ground and using the command words. We have to lure him out with treats - not ideal. In my opinion, Woody will happily ignore because he knows eventualy we (my husband) will give up, whereas he listens to me more because he knows I would happily stand there al day telling him.

Also, I think we've confused the situation as we seem to use the word ''off'' for a lot of different scenarios; off the furniture, off the treat/toy, off us (no jumping) and off the counter tops/tables. Is this causing an issue with 'off'' the bed/sofa?

Should I move this onto my settle thread? Sorry for the threadjack, it's just got me thinking.
Pidge, I thought the peeing on the sofa and his bed was an insecurity/guarding type issue when you posted about it back in November and having just read your post above on the other thread, I feel that even more strongly.

I can't help thinking that by peeing in his bed and the sofa he is trying to claim these places as his and the fact that he will try and bit if moved from the sofa would point to that too - its something that he wants badly enough to confront you over.

From what you've said about your OH, I think Woody could well be confused about the relationship between the 3 of you.

I did suggest last time you posted that you speak to the behavourist at your work about this - did you do that and if so, what did he/she say?
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2010, 01:06 PM
Do you ever just tell him to get on his bed and lie down without trying to slove what might be wrong with him.
Maybe you are giving him too much attention and he is acting up.

If he where mine I would make him lie on his bed and ignore him if he gets off take him back.
As for the humping tell him no and take them away. He only does it cause you let him.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Rune said exactly what I was thinking when I read your post.

Ramble made a good point....do abit of road walking before taking him back in, abit like exercise at the gym...warm up, exercise, then cooling down period.

Plus I do agree with the stroking/soothing, this can sometimes have the opposite effect and irritate.

Here the dogs have one bed...in the kitchen, when they have been out we just open the kitchen door and they go straight to thier bed and we ignore them them so they just settle.
Thanks YS!
I agree...he needs to settle down before going in..and then expectations need to change. If you expect your dog to settle down, they will as they do pick up on the 'vibes'.
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Taken from the 'how would handle this' thread

Pidge, I thought the peeing on the sofa and his bed was an insecurity/guarding type issue when you posted about it back in November and having just read your post above on the other thread, I feel that even more strongly.

I can't help thinking that by peeing in his bed and the sofa he is trying to claim these places as his and the fact that he will try and bit if moved from the sofa would point to that too - its something that he wants badly enough to confront you over.

From what you've said about your OH, I think Woody could well be confused about the relationship between the 3 of you.

I did suggest last time you posted that you speak to the behavourist at your work about this - did you do that and if so, what did he/she say?
I hadn't seen the other thread...but having seen Hali's quote...I am thinking he is either claiming the sofa..OR it is the other extreme and he is actally anxious and stressed...and it is submissive peeing. I am wondering if that is the case...especially with the hyper behaviour post walk. He may be stressing for whatever reason.
Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
Do you ever just tell him to get on his bed and lie down without trying to slove what might be wrong with him.
Maybe you are giving him too much attention and he is acting up.

If he where mine I would make him lie on his bed and ignore him if he gets off take him back.
As for the humping tell him no and take them away. He only does it cause you let him.
Good points too...
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >