Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 10:53 PM

Jessie's wound has come open

Had an awful night sat here not sure what to do.

Jess had surgery in december. Wound never healed, she had 3 different lots of stitches, it came open and was then stapled twice. Months and months later she still wouldn't leave it alone so they decided to take the metal plates out of her leg about 4/5 weeks ago believing they were irritating her.

Stitched her up, 2 weeks later went to have the stitches taken out, they cut them and the whole wound opened straight up in the surgery. Vet said she could see bone. Anyway because of her previous problems with stitches/staples she has been having it treated as an open wound which means bandages every 3 days and although still a hole it was getting smaller.

Tonight she was licking the top of her bandages when i looked they had slipped again (they do often) and her wound was on show. When i looked she has managed to rip it all right open - it is awful. I am not sure what to do. I have hibiscrubbed it and tried bandaging it but as soon as she stood up it all slipped down again.

My vet doesn't have an emergency surgery you have to ring another they are linked to. This surgery was originally going to do jessies leg in december and i had a big argument and cancelled them doing the surgery after they were really really rude and just seemed to be money grabbers. They were awful and lied several times and i really don't want them dealing with jess. Her leg is awful, i am sure bone is showing, its not bleeding and she is relaxed and quite happily fast a sleep.

I am sat here shaking, my husband and i have had a massive argument and he's gone to bed. Just a bloody awful night.

My surgery is open at 8.30am tuesday morning.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 11:00 PM
poor jess, poor you, what a bloomin night, as long as she seems comfy, I'd leave her till morning, really dunno what to say to make you feel better xx
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Thank you, sorry just having an awful evening, sat in tears. My husband said about having jess pts and it tore me up.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Hi Kirsty it must be very scary for you..xx
Where is the wound on her leg?
If you really don't have a vet to go to until morning and Jess isn't losing any blood, I would sit with her all night to make sure she is OK and doesn't move around too much and keep her quiet and warm.
Hope she will be ok...
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Agree with Minihaha, just try and keep her as quiet as possible until the morning and pop her straight to the vets. I hope they can sort it for her, It must be so distressing for you seeing her like that. Sending *hugs* to you and Jessie.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Kirsty it must be very scary for you..xx
Where is the wound on her leg?
If you really don't have a vet to go to until morning and Jess isn't losing any blood, I would sit with her all night to make sure she is OK and doesn't move around too much and keep her quiet and warm.
Hope she will be ok...
She is not losing blood or i would take her in the car now. She is led quite relaxed, i have just given her a biscuit and she is bahaving quite normally and ate it fine. It is her cruciate ligament that ruptured and her scar/wound is on the inside of her back leg by her "knee" joint. Thats why it is not knitting together easily.

I am sitting up for a few hours anyway just to keep an eye on things. Its just the worse thing i have seen, and i have seen it "bad" before. If i take her to the emergency vet he would immediately stitch it and i am not sure that it is what is best for her as that never seems to knit it togeather in the past. If she seems in pain or it starts to bleed i will take her tonight. I will keep watching her. She is on the strongest antibiotics anyway and has been for weeks and weeks. Its so deep but there just isn't any blood, i can't believe it.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Awwww poor Jess and poor you.Huge hugs hun,wish I had an answer for you but I haven't.If I were you I'd just sit with her like Mini says and take her to the vet in the morning.Pity your not closer as I'd have come and sat with you hun and kept you company.Hope alls gonna be fine for Jess tomorrow,my fingers are crossed hun,xxxxxxxxxxx
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
Awwww poor Jess and poor you.Huge hugs hun,wish I had an answer for you but I haven't.If I were you I'd just sit with her like Mini says and take her to the vet in the morning.Pity your not closer as I'd have come and sat with you hun and kept you company.Hope alls gonna be fine for Jess tomorrow,my fingers are crossed hun,xxxxxxxxxxx
Do you know that is the nicest thing that has been said to me all evening, thank you it was appreciated.

I'm ok, think i was just shocked. With one thing and another. I've got through worse, i am just glad she isn't showing me she is in pain, she is very relaxed its unbelievable really. If that was my leg i would have passed out, i think i've come close looking at it tonight, she is an amazing girl honestly.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Kirsty I note you are in Bristol, you can always ask your vet for a referral to the Royal Veterinary College at Bristol if your vet can't cope with the wound.
Maybe they will need to cut back into good tissue to get the wound to heal .
I wish you and Jess a peaceful night... xx
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Kirsty I note you are in Bristol, you can always ask your vet for a referral to the Royal Veterinary College at Bristol if your vet can't cope with the wound.
Maybe they will need to cut back into good tissue to get the wound to heal .
I wish you and Jess a peaceful night... xx
At the moment i use 2 vets, the guy who did the surgery is in stroud. I used him many years ago on my first newfoundland and he has done this surgery to several friends newfoundland dogs with great results.

Because he is in stroud my vet (who i also have a lot of faith in) is in bristol, and they do all the aftercare. They both speak to each and have both agreed that they would do the exact same ongoing treatment. So i felt like 2 heads where better than one. The wound looked good saturday morning when we did the bandage change. Although a big hole the vet was showing me in great detail the new tissue forming togeather, just can't believe she has managed to do this again and open it all up, just wish i had put a collar on her, i could kick myself really.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > Last »