Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 05:02 PM

Indoor or outdoor toilet training?

Hi everyone,
I've just joined & having read lots of posts I'm not sure what to do so hoping for some advice.
We just got our puppy 2 days ago (First time owner) and she is 9 weeks old.
She is weeing on paper most of the time without having to take her there (it's located in our downstairs cloakroom) However she doesn't seem to want to poo there at all. Even if I catch her "mid poo" & move her to the paper she won't finish until she's let back in the living room.
She also likes to pinch the paper & run off with it chewing it up

I'd like to try the "outside method" she makes it pretty obvious when she wants to go by sniffing around. At night she's in a playpen & does both on the paper.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi, I would definitely opt for outside method.

But don't expect your pup to tell you when she needs to go - she's too young for that just now. Take her out regularly (every hour or so during the day, but particularly after meals and as soon as she wakes up from a nap) and give her lots of praise when she does something outside. If she does have accidents in the house, don't tell her off for it.

Overnight, it depends on the individual pup and your own circumstances. Some will sleep through if let out last thing at night and you get up fairly early in the morning. Others may need you to get up once or twice during the night to let them out (they generally pee/poo less at night as they are less active). But if this isn't realistic, you can continue with paper overnight.

Good luck
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks Hali,
Will try that I think - though she woke up earlier & by the time I'd got my coat on she's weed on the paper! I guess I need to be a bit quicker.
She whines all night unless one of us is in the room so DH slept on the sofa last night after it got a bit much by 3am. he was out of view & just offered a reassurring "Sh" and she then settled for 5 hours -so I guess we could try outside at night when we've progressed with the daytime routine.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:27 PM
We recently got a pup too, he's 4 months old now. We started off teaching him to do it on the paper which we put by the back door but then thought its probably best to just get him used to knowing that outside is the place to go!

So after lots of watching him like a hawk, everytime we could see he was going to go we took him outside and now he knows to go to the back door if he needs to go. He's not perfect at it and we still have a few accidents i.e when we're out or through the night but he understands where he's supposed to go.

As Hali said, go out with the dog and give her lots of praise for going outside and she'll soon pick it up and understand. Monty gets better and better every day and quite often holds whilst we're at work and sometimes if he's really really tired he'll hold through the night too!!

Also with the sleeping thing, my OH slept downstairs first and second night then third night we left a radio on and that worked so might be worth a go.

Good luck with the toilet training and the pup!!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks - she has bit of an upset tummy again today so runny poos everywhere! Played for ages in the garden & she weed twice then came in & pooed on the floor.
After she's pooed on the floor I clean it up & put a pad there - but she just moves somewhere else!
So I then wiped the whole floor with vinegar solution - she then pooed between 2 cabinets (where I must have missed with the vinegar!) so vinegared that bit and what did she do next......... Pooed on the rug! bless her...... so rug vinegared now I wonder where she will go next. (In between that she has pooed once outside)........ I'm glad we have laminate floor & not carpet! Just smell like a chip shop now!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I agree with Hali. I have never trained my pups on paper first and then outside. I have always opted for training them to toilet outside immediately. Just make sure you take your young pup out after eating, sleeping and play Stay outside with the pup until they go to the loo, and then plenty of praise.

If you have to go out for any length of time or overnight, your pup may have the odd accident, as she is only very young but you will get there
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi again Tillymint.

It may be better not to play in the garden immediately when you go out - just stay outside letting her sniff around - once she's had a pee, then you can have a game as part of her reward. Otherwise its possible that she will only see the garden as her play area and we so intent on playing everytime she goes out, she'll get what she's really there for.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 10:24 PM
There is no point in training a pup to go inside as that is not what you are wanting, never scold the accident but take her out often and praise when the act is performed outside
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I always start as I mean to go on with mine..so no inside anything..Straight out from day 1..let them do whats needed then praise and play..same every time..

They soon realise no praise, no play if they don't "perform" LOL
ingi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-01-2009, 03:23 PM
we are in the same position as you at the moment 8 week old pup been with us 3 days now. he is getting very good but again still has 'accidents'.

we do the taking outside and rewarding for performing. but also have a pad inside which he also uses, this we intend to take outside at some point soon to show him thats where to go.

We have had 2 real messes to come down to in a morning. so last night (and i know not all will agree) we had him in a crate in the bedroom. He went straight of to sleep within 5 mins, I got up with him at 2am and he had a wee outside and a poo on the pad. Then he went back to the crate and back of to sleep untill i had to wake him at 6.30.

I hope this admission does not jinks his behaviour
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >