Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kay9
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2006, 09:10 AM

nervous for the judge

Hello,

I'm after some tips please, on how to make my 8 month old pup a bit more confident with the judge. He's a lovely friendly boy and ususally adores people, but I think he found ringcraft a bit overwhelming. He didn't want anyone to look at his teeth and is reluctant to stand to be gone over. He will do both at home no probs and practically throws himself on people we meet normally as he's so keen to say hello. The ringcraft peoeple were lovely and handled him really gently. Any advice please?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 09:16 AM
i would say go back to ringcraft and stick with it ..he sounds a lovely chappie and will get used to being handled ..good luck
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Just stick in at ringcraft, and try and take him round your friends and family, and get them to go over him too. How long have you been taking him to ringcraft for? Don't expect perfection overnight, it will take time for him to get used to different people going over him if it's not something he is used to.

With mine I started her from a very young age so she was always used to it, but if he's not been going for long don't worry too much. Try not to overwhelm him and frighten him, but bit by bit. After he's been up, give him a nice tasty treat like chicken, and make sure he knows he's a good boy. Also if you are a little nervous, he will sense this and it will rub off on him. Hopefully he'll soon realise there's nothing to worry about!

Good luck
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 10:32 AM
As said...........stick with Ringcraft
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Good Luck & Welcome to DW
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 12:06 PM
At 8 months he is just entering a difficult period, (remember your pubity ) Would say continue your ringcraft and continue showing, only withdraw from showing if he becomes distressed or shows signs of really objecting.

With my boys I have found that one hand under the chin and the other on the area at the base of his sheaf will steady him when the judge wishes to 'go over him', in the end, of course, if he does not settle to showing then there is no point in continuing but at the moments he is in the (get off me - no one understands me - leave me alone - no I wont) teenage type syndrome.
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2006, 12:52 PM
Never heard it described as pubity before Thordell Reminds me of a little britain sketch.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 01:04 PM
http://dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/just-wo...xic_31813.html See my post on this thread

Woops, thought I had spelt it incorrectly, may be I have not and you are just adding a comment, sorry. It is the same thing the change from juvenile to adult.
Dee1974
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Oh thordell i'm ever so sorry I did think it was a new way of describing it: you see my daughter is going through it at the moment God help me

Your post did lighten my day. Though no offence intended
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dee1974
Oh thordell i'm ever so sorry I did think it was a new way of describing it: you see my daughter is going through it at the moment God help me

Your post did lighten my day. Though no offence intended
No offence taken, but put me out of my misery, is that how its spelt or not
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >