Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoopster
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2008, 12:45 PM

very sad

Hello.
I'm new to this site. Our beloved springer spaniel went missing on a walk last friday, and yesterday someone called us to tell us he had found her, she was dead, in a ditch near to our house. She must've got stuck down there and died with the freezing weather. We searched for her for a whole week and can't believe she was so near all that time. It's absolutely shocking and horrible horrible horrible. I cried all day yesterday. I am feeling slightly better today but still been in tears. Our other dog scoob looks so lost. They grew up together. I want some advice. I can't bear to think of him being alone so I think I want to get another dog. Not to replace her, nothing could, but just because we are a family that loves pets and I don't like seeing him all alone. Has anyone else done this before? When a dog has died and left another behind? How well might he adapt to a new one? I still can't believe I am even having to ask this.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Firstly, my heart goes out to you. Losing a dog under natural circumstances is bad enough. What you have had to endure is beyond the pale.

Secondly, when I lost my last dog (I have three) I replaced him within a few months. It's the way I deal with the grief. Some people cannot bear to get another dog so soon, but each to his own.

Personally, I find that another dog quickly helps fill the void.

x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 12:49 PM
I am so very sorry for your loss.
It is entirely a personal thing about getting another dog. There are plenty out there that need a home. You must do it when you are ready...your new dog will fit in with your current dog as long as they are introduced carefully. Don't rush into anything...make sure it is the right dog for all of you.

I am so sorry. x
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 12:50 PM
no advice, as I have an only dog, but my heart goes out to you for the loss of your springer. x
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 12:53 PM
What a terrible story, poor you and poor pup.

I'm in tears at the moment and so sorry for your loss x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 12:58 PM
I am so sorry to hear your news. I feel for you I really do.

Sorry can not offer any advice about another dog as here we have always been fortunate enough to do it the other way round, getting another before the old one went.

However I wish you every bit of luck in the world. RIP to your dog, may she run free at Rainbow bridge.xx
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 01:00 PM
So sorry for your loss, that truely is a heart breaking story xxxxx

We have never had a problem with a new dog as long as its the right dog for your family. I agree with Vicki an always found it to help with the grief as there was something else to deal with. Good luck in the future what ever you decide to do.
Hoopster
New Member!
Female 

01-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your replies you are very kind. It's so horrible. We had her for 4 and a half years, got Tilly at the same time as scoob. She was so lovely.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your girl, you must be devastated.

As the others have said, it is very much down to personal choice.

I went looking for a new dog the very weekend after my old boy was pts. I didn't feel that I was being disloyal to him - he knew how much I loved him and nothing would change that, but equally nothing would bring him back.

Looking round the rescue centres gave me something else to think about rather than sit and morn for him.

As for how well your existing dog will adapt to another one, that will depend on him and the choice of new dog.

My two were never that close and I was surprised by just how much Hoki did seem to miss Kip. She has a very similar relationship with Stumpy - they don't seem that close, but do miss each other when the other one is not there.

Some people prefer to get a puppy as they feel that the existing dog will accept it more readily.

I prefer adult rescue dogs. You do of course get to introduce the dogs before you make a decision, though the first meeting doesn't really show you how closely they may bond.

As you've said yourself, what you mustn't expect is for everything to be the same as it was. Both you and your existing dog will have a different relationship with any new dog -doesn't mean that it will be better or worse, just different.

I have no regets at all about 'rushing' into getting Stumpy - she really did help me get through the painful loss of Kip.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-12-2008, 01:06 PM
That is a a terrible outcome to your dog running off, you must be feeling awful now. If you take on another dog please consider a rescue dog, and you can introduce them to your dog to make sure they get on, unfortunately the rescue centres are full of unwanted dogs, especially at this time of year, we took on 2 rescue dogs in January this year and were lucky that they got on straight away. My sympathies for your loss.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >