View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 06:39 PM

Help! Woody has just gone absolutely nuts!

At my husband!

He came home just after Woody had his dinner and was doing his usual frantic ritual of scouring the house for more food.

They were having cuddle on the sofa and then Woody started mouthing. Neil said the command "no biting" and put him on the floor and that was it, Woody kept going at him and trying to bite him!!

It wasn't aggressive, but it was clearly a dominance thing. In the end Neil ended up picking him up and holding him tight to him to calm him down but as soon as he put him down Woody went for him again. the second time he picked him up Neil caught his leg abit and he yelped, jumped out and straight into my arms looking abit mistrustful of my husband.

What the hell has brought this on?

He's now pulling all his bedding out of the crate and humping it!!!

I know I'm the one at home all the time, but we share the responsibilities of looking after him and have plenty of alone time with him.

Anyone?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 06:41 PM
could he just have got a bit over excited??
sometimes when Bruno and the Oh are play fighting Bruno gets a bit excitable and will start humping......and he doesnt have any man bits !!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm sure it was over excitement, but I've never seen him like this before. He was jumping up and grabbing at his legs and trousers.

What do we do in this instance? We've just got rid of the childgate to the kitchen thinking he didn't need a "time out" room anymore.

That'll teach us to be hasty!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 06:49 PM
mmnn well when bruno does this he gets told off and the game stops and he gets told to lie down.

To be honest though its never stopped him from doing it in the first place though,... am probably not the best person to give you advice....

i suppose the best scenario would be for your hubby to then get up qnd walk away no eye contact etc so that he realises that attention stops when he mucks about..
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
mmnn well when bruno does this he gets told off and the game stops and he gets told to lie down.

To be honest though its never stopped him from doing it in the first place though,... am probably not the best person to give you advice....

i suppose the best scenario would be for your hubby to then get up qnd walk away no eye contact etc so that he realises that attention stops when he mucks about..
That's just it. That's what we always do and it works, but this time he just kept chasing him.
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Ludo goes nuts like that sometimes. Though not really now he's older. He gets a time out in his crate and told 'no more' then I ignore him till he's been calm for 5 minutes. If he starts again he goes right back in.
Donny dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Ruby grabs Martyn's legs like a demented girlfriend pleading for him not to leave!! When she gets overly giddy we say 'oh dear', and she doesn't like it at all. I think Woody was a bit excited. If you think how children react when they get excited, they take some calming down too!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
At my husband!

They were having cuddle on the sofa and then Woody started mouthing. Neil said the command "no biting" and put him on the floor and that was it, Woody kept going at him and trying to bite him!!

It wasn't aggressive, but it was clearly a dominance thing. In the end Neil ended up picking him up and holding him tight to him to calm him down but as soon as he put him down Woody went for him again. the second time he picked him up Neil caught his leg abit and he yelped, jumped out and straight into my arms looking abit mistrustful of my husband.

What the hell has brought this on?

He's now pulling all his bedding out of the crate and humping it!!!

You dog is still a puppy ? It is not a dominance"thing" & picking him up is the wrong thing to do(as the results have shown by what happened afterwards)

Far better to get up & walk away & mutter a low no to him. This is what an adult dog would do to him.

Humping bedding is a normal thing with both young dogs & bitches

but this time he just kept chasing him.
He wouldn't have been able to if your OH had left the room which is what I advise people to do
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 07:38 PM
If he keeps following hubby if he tries to walk away, has he thought about walking into another room and shutting the door behind him? Thus making Woody have to wait for hubby to initiate the fuss?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I suppose we will always have different ways of dealing with things like this, so whatever works use it. Me myself, I would have folded my arms and immediately turned my back on my dog and looked upwards, it's worked for me in the past with a bolshy teenager attacking me like that. Re the picking up bit, the last thing I would have done is to hold him tight, coz that is causing him more frustration and in turn winding him up even more imo. I would have made him lie down, and used the opposite approach of calming, stroking, sssh'ing, all calm to try and calm the situation down, ONCE he had sat down with me with my back to him. You'll just have to try everything and find something that works. They all try it on though at Woody's age, you've always got to be that one step ahead of them all the time, so good luck hope something works.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >