Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 01:55 PM

Inaccurate Scans?

Have any of you ever had inacurate scans? One of my puppy owners (well she's two) had her scanned at 26 days and then another vet did it at 28 days. She has been told that there's nothing there although she felt that she saw a blob!

She had convinced herself that she wasn't pregnant as the scan said she wasn't but she says that she has become lethargic, ribcage does look bigger and she's not her old lively self. Don't get me wrong I don't mean she's looking ill or anything, just that if she's anything like her litter sister she should be mental now

I have heard of people who had their bitches scan to be told that there was none for them to have pups and people told that they were pregnant and nothing ever arrived.

Would just love to hear from anyone who has been in this situation and the unexpected has happened!
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Yes I did with my Jasmine earlier this year, had her scanned twice 28 days and 35 days both times told no pups, she started to look pregnant around 8+ weeks but thought it was my imagination as I had been feeding her slightly more, so just put it down to weight gain.

Just for my own curiosity I had her scanned on day 60, which showed 1 VERY BIG pup.......3 days later my Flora was born by c-section, weighing just over 1lb
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 02:39 PM
I've joked with her all the way through that scans can be incorrect. She had her done three times on days 25-30 I think.

She's due in 9 days time! She said her vet already thinks she's mental but what if?
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 03:39 PM
If she really isn't sure I would get a further scan done, however, if possible i would have the scan done by someone who does a fair few of them - the average vet isn't very good at scanning and the equipment is pretty useless!

We nearly lost one of our girls a few years ago when we'd been told following a scan she wasn't pregant, a week after her due date she had to have an emergency ceaser/spay as she'd gone toxic when the singleton pup she was carrying had died and started to decompose. We hadn't been convinced that she wasn't in whelp but as the vet said she wasn't we'd trusted them.

As for the vet thinking she's mental - don't most vets think this about people who breed dogs anyway
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 05:04 PM
My vet bought a scanner for the local hospital when they upgraded, and the qualities awesone.
You could only see half the puppies but we could see the cord attached and them moving their tiny legs around.
I'd go for a rescan if I was you as well, it might be theres only one and she'd hiding it under the ribs. By now it should have moved down.
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Friends Boxer got scanned by vet, told no pups but the nurse and the owner thought they had seen something..
Anyhow so bitch didn't get all the normal stuff they pump in etc...then a couple of weeks before her due date she suddenly goes a really odd shape. All barrel like behind her shoulders at the front (waist still wasp like), then a week before her due date whoosh suddenly the barrel has moved down to the waist and she's looking very pregnant...
She had 6 or 7 pups and one very red faced vet...

I had my bitch scanned at 28 days and then a couple of weeks before her due date. She was scanned by Sam Wilkinson, told exactly how many pups that the bitch did have! Only had her re-scanned as Sam had spotted a potential problem ie infection and we did lose one in the pregnancy but still went on to have 7 pups.
Felt very relieved that I had the bitch scanned as she stopped after puppy 6 (2 oxytocin jabs) hadn't produced anything for 4 hours so we were able to get a c-section done and save puppy no 7.

So if you have a good scanner operator, it is worth it!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I used Keith Oshea or Keith Shea lol he was spot on with our willow on her pregnancy, said there were 6 pups and there were. he also does it in the comfort of your own home which I really liked rather than take willow to the vets, all he charged I think was £30 it was worth it to me as I was going to the Nationals in the USA and would have been out of my mind not knowing, he did it on day 28.

Mo
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Well I have to say..........why bother.

I belong to the old school, and advocate patience. Wait and see, is there anything spoiling? just be prepared, and wait.

Dawn R.
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2007, 05:59 PM
If I hadn't scanned,

1) I could have lost the whole litter to internal infection during the pregnancy (week 5/6).

2) Wouldn't have known that there was puppy no.7 and as
the bitch had settled down completely for 4 hours after having 6 pups with no signs of straining or panting. I could well have lost pup no.7
and possibly the bitch to womb infection/pyo if the full term puppy had died inside and decomposed.

I'd rather use the science available to me if I want to.
But then I don't belong to the 'old school'
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Nursey I have to say that I am actually the same as you! In 20 odd years of being involved in the breeding of bitches I've never ever had one scanned and up to now never had a problem.

I feel that a lot of problems (don't mean anyone on here) are due to too much interference by us these days.

Gosh I sound dead old but I'm only in my 30's!!

Owner doesn't think she's pregnant now, not put on weight or anything and she's back to her normal self and now doing agility etc again. The people at the agility thought she'd been somewhere else and training very hard as she did so well!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >