Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Doggy swimming (hydrotherapy)!!

Anyone take their dogs?

Was after some info - can you just do it for fun i want H to get fitter and slimmer!

I have heard that vets do hydrotherapy for recovery of injuries but are there places you can just take your dog along to and how does it work??

Cheers xx
rottiedad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2008, 12:25 PM
ye u can normaly aroun 10 for 30mins and first time is hard work but they soon get used to it only problem we have now see water gone lol
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Trixybird is the one to ask - she takes her dogs just for fun and they love it

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=93068

The pool I take mine to is only for therapy - it wouldn't be big enough for them to have a proper swim
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Cheers Hali!!

That looks like soo much fun - hope i can find one round here!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 01:21 PM
We regularly take ours just for fun swims They have to have confirmation from your vet that the dogs are ok to undertake hydrotherapy before you can book a session though.

Enter your postcode on the following link and it will find a Hydrotherapy centre near you.

Canine Hydrotherapy Centres - Locate

Just make sure you check them out first and are happy with their facilities. Not all may cater for fun swims.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Wow thanks a lot Greyhawk - i cant wait!!!
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2008, 02:01 PM
We started taking our swimming at the local Pets A&E - they have a hydrotherapy pool. She started at about 8 months old and went from being afraid to walk in puddles to being a great little swimmer. It was a bit pricy at £25 for half an hour, but well worth it.

We've recently found an alternative pool where we can rent the pool for £25 for a half hour and have more than one dog in at a time. I actually go in the pool with her. It's great fun and fantastic exercise for the dog.

Here are some photos and video clips:

And a little video clip:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27172079@N08/3019313105/
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2008, 02:08 PM
That looks fab - they look like they really enjoy it!!!

Thanks for that xx

The only prob is it is a bit pricey from what i have seen
And I wouldnt have to wear a wetsuit would i??!!
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2008, 02:22 PM
It does tend to be expensive, which is why I like our current pool (It's in East Kilbride, Scotland if anyone wants more info). It costs £25 to hire the pool and the hydrotherapist for half an hour. Clubs get special rates of £40 per hour. My dog training club is going to use it too which will allow people to get swims for their dogs at much lower cost.

If you go in the pool yourself that means you can have two dogs in at a time (you need one handler for every dog). Most dogs won't swim for half an hour solid, so you could easily swap them in and out which means it would be possible to give 4 dogs a great swim for £25 (£6.25 each). It's just a matter of finding people to split the cost with.

At this particular pool you don't need a wetsuit - you could wear anything suitable. And you don't need to go in the pool as there is a therapist, but she can only have one dog in at a time on her own.

But the best bit is being in the pool with your dog. It's lovely.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I forgot to mention, my wetsuit cost £6.25 !!!!

You can get them online, in Aldi or Tescos for about £20 - £25. Mine is a Tescos one and due to some pricing mix up I was expecting to pay £25 but was only charged £6.25. I did tell them about the mistake but was advised to exit fast without saying any more!

I can emphasise enough how great it is to be in the water with your dog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >