Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 04:00 PM

Can worming cause tummy upsets?

I wormed the spotties yesterday and today Takara's poo is very runny.

She usually has a stomach of steel so it's quite strange for her to have a tummy upset. There was a teeny bit of blood in the first stool but none after that so I don't think that's anything to be concerned about.

Just wondered if it could be the drontal that's given her a tummy upset - I don't think it's caused it before.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi Lottie,

Perhaps it's a touch of colitis, going by the wee bit of blood in it? Just a thought, though you've probably already considered that.

These things probably can and do occasionally cause stomach upsets, or perhaps in Takara's case it's just a coincidence as you say it's never affected her in this way before.

Just a few thoughts! Hope she's back to normal soon.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks Nicola,

To be honest, I hadn't really thought too deeply about it because she's fine in herself. Just decided to keep an eye on her - there's too many people in and out the house for me to know what people might be feeding her, or indeed what she's picked up in the park so I'm not too worried, I'll just keep an eye on her and see how she gets on!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Worming does sometimes cause upset tums. It usually passes within 24 hours.

Hope T's ok soon, hon x
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2008, 05:22 PM
I would say yes, definitely. Drontal and other worming meds are toxic and really don't do the dog any good at all IMO, irrespective of whether the dog shows any symptoms.

There are other alternatives out there (e.g. wormwood or food grade diatomaceous earth) that are gentle and just as effective yet have no health repercussions.

If you ask any Natural Rearing expert - the detriment to health these meds do to the body actually outweigh the damage from worms!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 05:23 PM
With colitis, if I'm right, they're generally fine in themselves.

Like you say, she could've picked something up elsewhere.

I'm sure her rear end will be a lot happier soon!
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2008, 05:25 PM
I would doubt it would be colitis, especially as a one off sighting of blood.

It is more likely that the meds have irritated the GI tract which usually results in blood drops.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
I would doubt it would be colitis, especially as a one off sighting of blood.

It is more likely that the meds have irritated the GI tract which usually results in blood drops.
Thanks for that info. I've never had to deal with colitis or blood in waste (touch wood) so it's good to know this.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-11-2008, 05:44 PM
It does sound as if the GI tract is irritated - I would give Slippery Elm Bark Powder which is great for easing the digestive tract - it has a mucousy quality to it and soothes real quick. I would give an adult dog 2-3 teaspoons a day.

Slippery Elm: http://www.naturallygreen.co.uk/slip...f1iv8ggls1djv3

Here's some info on Colitis, just so you know...

WHAT IS COLITIS?

In brief “colitis” is the term for inflammation of the colon. The chief feature of colitis is a gooey diarrhea, featuring mucus, fresh blood or both. The stool may start normal then finish soft or may seem gooey throughout. There is often accompanying cramping, gas, and a sense of immediate urgency (the sudden need to run for a bathroom). Vomiting can be a feature of this condition though it is the characteristic diarrhea that is the hallmark. Colitis may be acute (lasting only a few days) or chronic (lasting weeks or months on end). Even in chronic case, weight loss is usually not a feature of this condition.

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF COLITIS?

In classifying diarrhea, it is important to determine whether the problem relates to the small intestine (diarrheas originating here are more serious) or large intestine. Diarrheas of the large intestine have the following common characteristics:
  • They are not associated with weight loss.
  • They are associated with straining and sense of sudden urgency.
  • They often involve fresh blood in the stool.
  • They often involve slime or mucus in the stool.
  • They often involve a stool that starts normal and finishes loose.
  • They involve stool quality that is more gooey or slimy than watery.
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_colitis.html
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
There are other alternatives out there (e.g. wormwood or food grade diatomaceous earth) that are gentle and just as effective yet have no health repercussions.
Ziva - what is wormwood or food grade diatomaceous earth, where do you get it and how does it work?

I have never heard of that before!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >