Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-10-2008, 12:57 PM

Food or supplements for poorly dog?

Hey, as most of you guys know my boys been poorly since yesterday.
But had some good news from the vets today and he on the mend and soon to be back to himself again!
Gona have plenty of rest and slow walks this week and
just wonder if you guys would give your dog/s any special foods for certain vitiams/minerals or supplements to help them when or if they ever have been poorly?
In which I mean abit weaker, slower and abit down in the dumps...any ideas or feed back welcome!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 01:46 PM
It's a difficult one because when they're not 100% is when you want to spoil them with treats etc the most but its also the worst time for them to have any because of course they're not doing the exercise to burn them off.

I've been through many, many weeks of recouperating with Hoki after two seperate knee ops and the thing I found that cheered her up the most was buying cheap toys for her to destroy. It got to the stage where whenever I walked in the house with a carrier bag her eyes would light up because she thought it had something in it for her (and if often did )

Only give him toys though if you know that he will play with them quite quietly - e.g. just laying down and ripping them to pieces

To be honest, as he has to rest, I'm not sure I would be looking for 'pick me up' kind of supplements - you want to make sure his body heals properly at its own pace and that he doesn't start feeling too good before he is fully fit....believe me although its not nice to see them down in the dumps, after the first 3 or 4 days when he thinks he's 100% and you still have to keep him calm, you'll be half regretting that he's feeling so good