View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Excessive licking and what i found to cure it!

Jojo is a very licky dog, as in you just can't cuddle her without her licking your face.
Was cute when she was younger but now i hate it. Makes me not want to cuddle her. I have told her NO when she does it but she contines.

Anyway, thought i would put it in Google and see what came up....

This is what i found:

Play in his mouth & grab his tounge & hang on to it as long as you can. Keep doing this & he will soon get the idea you don't like it. But by doing so you are taking away a natural instinct.

WTF!!

Anyway....with that peice of tosh thrown aside, has anyone any tips or advice please.
It is a small thing, but i just hate it.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Try removing yourself each time he does it. Just say "ah" calmly (no nagging) and walk away.

You may find he gets an extinction burst, which means he tries harder before he stops - if this happens, don't give up

Be totally consistent and ensure everyone else is too, or it won't work. Make sure you never allow even a few licks and then remove yourself, or it won't have the best chance of working.

It may take some time as it is instinctive (pups and dogs love to reach human faces and mouths, it's a greeting behaviour) and has been rewarded in the past.

Fingers crossed!

He's very cute by the way, if that's him in your avatar!

Wys
x
flowisp
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 07:23 AM
I have the same problem with Flower! we always call her the 'licky licky' dog!!!! hehe, she is constantly wanting to lick, feet, hands and face...but I feel awful telling her to stop because i know she is just being friendly!!

So i will be keeping a keen eye on this thread... xxxx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 07:40 AM
You could also try teaching your pup to lick you hand on cue. Then only reward them when they lick you when you ask them to.

But i suppose that depends how much pup actually is enjoying the licking, so it could be a self rewarding activity!
ticketyboo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 09:09 AM
One of my dogs is a 'licky' dog too and I hate it, so I'm persistantly putting my hand over her mouth and turning her head away from me.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by catsta2001 View Post
Anyway, thought i would put it in Google and see what came up....

This is what i found:

Play in his mouth & grab his tounge & hang on to it as long as you can. Keep doing this & he will soon get the idea you don't like it. But by doing so you are taking away a natural instinct.

WTF!!
WTF indeed!!! My staffy is very licky but I wouldn't dream of grabbing her tongue I say to her 'stop licking' and turn my back on her. She hates being ignored so it works really well.

I think she licks so much because she has been in a violent household and is constantly trying to appease everyone. She's definately better than she was 3 months ago, but it's a very ingrained habit with her.
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
WTF indeed!!! My staffy is very licky but I wouldn't dream of grabbing her tongue I say to her 'stop licking' and turn my back on her. She hates being ignored so it works really well.

I think she licks so much because she has been in a violent household and is constantly trying to appease everyone. She's definately better than she was 3 months ago, but it's a very ingrained habit with her.
Jo is the same, she doesnt lick any other part of me just always goes for the face, esp the mouth. If i bend down to greet her she will air lick. It is like she needs reassurance that she is accepted.

I will try the move her off me and ignore her approach.

Cheers Guys.
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2008, 12:32 PM
One of our pugs is a licker, hes terrible, he gets excited and licks hands, legs, trousers, the carpet, the bed linen... anything.

Most dogs respond well to the ignoring tactic. If you give them no reaction whatsoever and get up and walk off every time they lick they will eventually get the message... that licking means you dont want to sit down and play or cuddle. Its a bit of a long and drawn off method but the results are usually pretty good.

Our dogs hate being ignored =D its like their worst nightmare, haha
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2008, 12:38 PM
You are all so lucky!!

I have a licker, and his name is Murphy and he weighs over 5 stone

He will jump on the sofa, right onto your knee and he will stick his head right in your face to lick you

He'll also lick your face if you bend down to tie your shoes, put food or water down, get in a cupboard or the oven....

He also does a sneaky thing of laying on the sofa, and closing his eyes, then pushing his tongue out until it gets your foot/leg and doing baby licks (whilst pretending to be asleep)...

I just say "NO LICKING" in a loud and firm voice before he gets his head in position. If he immediately stops, he gets big cuddles. If he persists, he is moved from the sofa etc, or is pushed away and ignored.

It's working quite well I must say!

P.S. Murphy's tongue is like a huge piece of slippery ham - not a chance of me being able to catch it if I wanted to!!
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2008, 12:43 PM
That made me giggle about him licking while pretend to be asleep.

Hector isnt a licky dog at all...but he does a sneaky thing of when he is tired he will sit at my feet and wait to be picked up, he lies on my chest and then without warning he ALWAYS manages to get his tongue in my mouth. He only does it once, puts it in then goes to sleep hahaha.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >